Small Quake extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Quake extensions

All Downloads can be found at the end of this post !

Hello,

I had one of those sleepless nights again (with some weird ideas….)

There are these wonderful monster models from "Dawn of Darkness" TC, which I started working on. I reworked all their animations to make them match Quake 1 animations (frames and counts). Starting with the dog and zombie because there is no alternative replacement model available today.

The authors of the TC have been so kind to allow modders to use their content in free mods.
    Thank you Baker and Spike to translate the legal.txt into 'German-understandable-English' for me. And gave me thereby the possibility to start working on this "Small Quake extension".

====================================

1. The zombie

Once I finished reworking/transforming all animations, I thought that this is not enough…
    The zombie was always one of the most interesting monsters for me.
    Its special ability to be only killable with explosives was the releaser for my idea.

So I decided to give the possibility to modify the properties for the new zombie model:
    The new zombie model has these 3 possible abilities (adjustable via cvar A):
    "0" = exactly the same properties like original zombie
    "1" = Can be killed with Axe or Explosives (with 2 new death animations: cut-off head or regular death (without gibs))
    "2" = Can ONLY be killed with Axe (with new death animation: cut-off head)

You are also absolutely free to use the new zombie to your personal liking in-game via cvar B:
    "0" = disabled (= don’t use new zombie model)
    "1" = Use original and new zombie equally (50% / 50%) (so you play against both zombies in-game)
    "2" = Always use the new zombie model

The multiskin/multimodel feature of the "small mod compilation" is NOT affected.
    You can still use up to 4 skins for the original zombie and 2 additional skins for new zombie.

Next thing to think about was the “Axe
    With this weapon it is possible to kill the new zombies (if you give them this property via cvar A (default = enabled)). The Axe transforms into a holy "zombie-killing" weapon with the "power of the elder fathers" when aiming at the new zombies. This means: mystical red light appears around the player and the axe gets a holy cross scratched onto its blade !
    The axe only transforms into this mystical weapon when facing the NEW zombie model.
    For all other monsters it keeps its original property/ability.

You can of course enable/disable this axe "glow" feature, if you do not like it via cvar C:
    "0" = disable visual axe effect
    "1" = enable visual axe effect

This extends the original Quake without changing its gameplay/mechanic too much.
    It is more or less just a new model with the ability to be killed with the axe.
    You can always disable the new zombie or its new abilities completely if you do not want it in-game via mentioned cvars.
    This has always been the task of the "small mod compilation".

In the end this is how it looks like with these cvar settings:
    - enabled visual axe effect
    - new zombie can be killed with axe and explosives
    - only use new zombie model in-game

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5QUqKSpVE&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=2&feature=plcp]Quake alternative zombies - YouTube[/ame]

EDITED:
    I implemented some new effects which I wanted to add for quite a long time into Quake:
    - burning corpses
    - mystical pentagrams
    Those are only effects, not game related...
    You can enable / disable them via cvar.
    Here is a clip to see who it looks:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L0IaVgAYbI&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

2. The dog

The new dog model has exactly the same properties / abilities like the original one.
    So you can use it as a regular replacement model if you want.
    It comes with 2 skins and can therefore be used without any game changes.
    The multiskin/multimodel feature works like for the original dog model.

Nevertheless, it has new looking animations and therefore nicely differs from the visual of the original dog.

This is how it looks like:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOznKh792XQ&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Quake alternative dog - YouTube[/ame]

Skins

At the moment webangel is creating beautiful High Res skins for both models.
    She does a wonderful job as usual.

Once the skins are done and the QC, models, sounds and effects part is polished I will release them in the upcoming "small mod compilation" update V4.1
    Together with Mission Pack versions V4.1

Please give me some feedback (positive or negative) to help improving these "Small Quake extensions". Thank you very much.

DOWNLOAD zombie addon Updated (incl. all necessary files and source)
    DOWNLOAD dog replacement model

Webangels High Res skins will be released a bit later.

Kind regards,
    Seven
    Last edited by Seven; 09-15-2012, 03:29 PM. Reason: updated Download link

that idea with the axe is brilliant! it makes the axe useful for once. nice work as always seven!
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Just to echo Sylux's words, very nicely done Seven. Please keep up the good work.

[+1 rep]

Kind regards

Monty
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I am so fond of the walking animation for the dog model! I just am not liking the head sway on the dog's idle animation. Is there a way to change that seven?

I love the idea for the axe!

Can't wait for this Seven!! Excellent ideas and implemantation as always!!
        Last edited by gdiddy62; 09-07-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you.

Jeff,
          Believe me that I spent much time for the dog´s idle animation.
          But the 9 frames from Quake 1 are simply too few to make something special with it. The Quake 1 monsters idle animations are always very subtle. Almost not noticable from a distance.
          The dog´s idle animation from the Quake 2 TC had 40 frames !

I decided to stick to the current form because of one reason:
          You will most probably dont see the idle animations in-game because of the fact that the monster will see you and switch into "run" animation at once.
          Exceptions: You wear the ring or sneak from behind...

But of course I want to fullfill your request and sent a 'special' dog-model with Q1-like animation to you.

Best wishes,
          Seven

PS: The shalrath for example has no idle animation at all...

Comment

@Seven,
            It is a minor thing Seven and I have come to realize the limitations that Quake has as I've slowly experimented with code and effectinfo. You are very kind to send me something in spite of the limitations youe were working under.
            Thank you for your graciousness!

Jeff

Comment

Dear all,

Today I reworked the new zombie code and implemented some new effects which I wanted to add for quite a long time into Quake:
              - burnable corpses/monsters
              - mystical pentagrams

Those are only effects, not game related...
              You can enable / disable them via cvar.

Here is a clip to see how it looks:
              [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L0IaVgAYbI&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Quake alternative zombies addon - YouTube[/ame]

I know it is maybe a little overdone, but it is fun to implement these things and learn with every new modification more about Quake, QC and models and stuff...

Anyhow, you can disable it if you do not want it via 1 cvar.

I released the packs and replacement models in 1st post.

It would be nice if you at least give them a try. Maybe you like it...

Have fun,
              Seven

Comment

I really like the idea of burnable corpes/monsters Seven! Would it be possible to also incorporate some of the death animations to the corpse of the zombie? It would be nice to see the animation of our choice spring from the new zombie (or other monster corpses too).

Excellent stuff!!!

Comment

Excellent stuff Seven. Hopefully one day I'll be able to run all of these effects Until then please keep up the superb work

Kind regards

Monty
                  Mr.Burns
                  "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                  WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                  Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Hello Seven,
                    I am getting a different particle effect than the one you show in your video, is this your intent or do I have a setting wrong?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                      Hopefully one day I'll be able to run all of these effects
                      Hello Mr.Burns,

Please dont confuse the "small mod compilation" with other DarkPlaces replacement stuff.
                      It does not have "Pretty water", or any other performance killing things included.

If you can run pure DarkPlaces, you also can run the "small mod compilation". Yes, the compilation also has some performance affecting things (like particle fire), but you can easily switch it off anytime via cvar.

The rest of the particle effects do only exist for a very short time (like explosion effects) and will not affect your playing experience.

Many people think that they have to enable all the bells and whistels when using DarkPlaces. But that is not necessary. You can also use stock DarkPlaces without these things. The "small mod compilation" dont need them as well.

And that is also the main task of the SMC. It shall be as customizable as possible to be adjustable to different personal likings.

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
                      Hello Seven,
                      I am getting a different particle effect than the one you show in your video, is this your intent or do I have a setting wrong?
                      Hello Jeff,

You are using a different custom particlefont. This particlefont does not match the SMC Update. Please remove your custom particlefont and use the one that comes with the compilation.
                      Your custom particlefont is either inside your subfolder "particles" or in another .pk3 file with a "z" or similar at the beginning.
                      The wrong textures that you see on your screnshot are 37-39.

Kind regards,
                      Seven

Comment

Hi Seven,
                        the burning corpses effect looks great.

Comment

Hello webangel,

I am working on the full releases for ID1 and both mission packs V4.1 now.
                          You will have the possibility to burn corpses from all monsters. Each monster has its own cvar to choose between regular gibbing or burning. As well as setting the burn-time in seconds globaly.

I only wonder if I should keep the mystical pentagram (after burning) or get rid of it in V4.1. I personaly like the pentagram and its particles very very much. It was quite difficult to implement, so I would like to keep it. It will vanish automagically after 30 seconds.
                          Now that I look at it, it somehow reminds me of Painkiller. Painkiller also use a pent like this to guide the player to the next checkpoint.
                          I did not have it in mind during development but now I see its parallels...

Viele Gruesse,
                          Seven

Comment

Although it is more work, you could make the pentagram adjustable via cvar as well.

Comment

Ahhh, so you dont like it...

Comment

Working...
                              X