Coming Spring 2013...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Spring 2013...

...what some critics may or may not have called "the greatest twelve minutes of my life":

Cartographer's Nightmare

Pure Rapage In 9MB

Spring 2013 • Rated Extreme Awesome
    www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

im already camping in front of your door, waiting to be the first to get a copy of this video game gold .
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
      im already camping in front of your door, waiting to be the first to get a copy of this video game gold .
      You and me both

Comment

meh, it looks OK, I guess. (hah)
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Creamby
          Soundtracks and Instrumentals
          MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

looks faithful but new. spacy
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

VERY cool stuff. Dig the Aliens vibe you have going on with the level design. Can't wait!
              Composer / Sound Guy
              WEBSITE
              EpiQuake

Comment

I'm special (not in a retar..err mentally challenged way) and killpixel let me play this level (pays to be a qc programmer sometimes)

I will give you all my very honest opinion for his map at this stage (keep in mind this is a WIP)

The good:
                1) non-stop action
                2) lots of secrets
                3) always on the edge of your ammo and health
                4) really clean and interesting geometry
                5) there is a bit of a puzzle going on in some areas.

the bad:
                1) one area in particular must have like 50gigs of brushes and my FPS dropped to 1 in that area.
                2) a couple of areas have some insane r_speeds
                3) this map is pretty dark (edit: I forgot my monitor is set to a very low brightness so I don't get headaches programming hours straight. Maybe it's not so dark as I think.)

Overall though, Imma say that the pictures don't say anything about this map. They give you an idea of how it will look, but kill pixel has a way of sneaking monsters right into you and you dont even realize it til you are getting your ass kicked.

@KillPixel - FUK that stupid ogre by the steps...where the hell is that thing coming from? Even after getting killed by him twice and knowing exactly where he will be, he still got me AGAIN!

also: A shambler?! It aint time for a shambler yet, man. I'm doing my thing with grunts and enforcers up in that area and RAWWWWG! pssh, that aint right man. I avoided the hell out of that on the next play.

PS> I hope I was cryptic enough for this comment to be acceptable KP. If not tell m what you don't like and I will edit/erase it.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Thanks for your (appropriately cryptic) thoughts, MadGypsy! It's good to see I did pretty well on the important stuff (gameplay, interesting environments). Ok, now for damage control...

1) one area in particular must have like 50gigs of brushes and my FPS dropped to 1 in that area.
                  Yeah, keep in mind I'm first timer in the world of mapping. I had a feeling that 3000 visible leafs may lag a computer or two. Running DQ on a boss machine I drop to 300 fps in that area. Oddly, in DP with FULL lights I get around 30.

Needless to say, this is has been addressed in a big way. Also, that was an expensive room and I need most of those resources back as I'm getting too close to my limit of ~65k vertexes.

2) a couple of areas have some insane r_speeds
                  I don't know what that is.

EDIT: Google is my friend. Well that sucks. Maybe func_wall could help?

3) this map is pretty dark
                  It is dark, but not too dark. I'm building this on a calibrated monitor in total darkness (my precious...). Also, most lighting is tentative at the moment, it won't be brighter necessarily, just better lit. I haven't gotten the nerve to go back and relight the current ~800 lights. Oh, and I'm a shameless Doom 3 fanboi...EAT IT.

@KillPixel - FUK that stupid ogre by the steps...where the hell is that thing coming from? Even after getting killed by him twice and knowing exactly where he will be, he still got me AGAIN!
                  Hmmm... that doesn't sound like fun, nothing like getting killed by the "level gods". There is going to be a private beta before release so I can iron most of the remaining bugs. It's hard to find faults and exploits when you know how the map is "supposed" to be played.

Anyway, I will say this. Aside from music, sex and sunshine, level deign/mapping is one of the most stimulating things I've ever done and I'm having a friggin' blast.
                  Last edited by KillPixel; 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmusic View Post
                    VERY cool stuff. Dig the Aliens vibe you have going on with the level design. Can't wait!
                    Thanks bro, I hope ya dig it!

Comment

I am all for this!
                      Checking in for updates
                      +Rep! I'm going to the top!

Comment

vis blocking helps r_speeds; func_wall helps compile time, but remember func_walls cast no shadows.

I'll second the impression of "rather dark". Keep in mind a map first and foremost has to be playable; it is not a movie, it is a game and the player needs to be able to see.

Might want to do some test runs in RMQe or DirectQ; if it runs fast enough in there, the culprit probably isn't your map. Darkplaces has always been a little slower than those (in my experience).

You can get around your vertex limit by using BSP2, if necessary, but there are 2 versions of that (the one DP uses and the one everything else uses) so you'd have to require certain engines. But if you can stay under the limit, all the better.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

@Kliffinton - Oh, there will be updates...mwuahhahahahhAHHAHAHA

@golden_boy - I've been reading about vis blocking and other methods of optimization... If I had known more (anything, really) about BSP in particular and mapping in general I would have been more wise in my brush usage...

Yeah, the map (or at least the bit that I show) is pretty dark. Unfortunately, lighting controls just don't exist in my current set up. In many areas, if I make a light brighter I lose the shadows and contrast that I worked so hard to get. I wish I could manipulate the light brightness and radius independently.

Just a few days ago I was studying e3m6 and noticed you could do spotlights with info_null. Before that I was building tall shafts in the ceiling and putting a really bright light at the end and an illusionary brush at the other to ghetto-rig spotlights. Still, in some situations that method produces a better effect so its not a total loss.

Also, reworking some rooms gave me tons of verts back, so that's all good. Don't tell me I can go past 65k verts, this map has to end sometime!

I have DQ capped at 800 fps and it never drops below that, DP hovers around 1200 fps (I think). Some people may have to ditch their 486 to play this, but it should run fine for most people.

Comment

man its been a while since anyone has done a map project around here. Nice to finally blow some dust off of that department!
                            My Avatars!
                            Quake Leagues
                            Quake 1.5!!!
                            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I wish I could manipulate the light brightness and radius independently.
                              Oh, but you can.

Using AguirRe's light tool (or MH's), you can give lights a "wait" key that affects the distance over which it falls off. So "wait 0.5" would make the light reach twice as far.

The "delay" key controls different falloff formulas; you might want to try "delay 2" for an inverse square falloff that is closer to what light does in real life. Depends what you're going for.

It pays off to read this: http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/readmevis.txt
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X