• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @jakub1
    capnbubs remapped the dog to fix all the horrible stretching,
    which makes it incompatible with existing skins

Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
    I've UV unwrapped my new model and I'm going to have a go at repainting it to match the aesthetic of the original
    Originally posted by capnbubs View Post

The texture is a 256 by 256 image so it's nice and small, still loads of detail visible on the model.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I started experimenting with retexturing the grunt, here's a comparison shot of how it's coming along so far. I've mostly just redrawn the head. I want to keep the resolution fairly close to the originals but remove all the nastly stretching and visible seams.

Will be glad to hear what you think of it, I tried to keep it as authentic as possible. I would like to point out clearly that so far I have only changed the head and the lower chest part.

Comment

• thanks splitterface for info. it's not a big problem. the new texture looks fine. i was just curious. i'll remove the dog textures from my hires skinpack.
        -
        new shambler would be fine... :-)
        -
        jakub
        my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
        Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
        Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
          I started experimenting with retexturing the grunt, here's a comparison shot of how it's coming along so far. I've mostly just redrawn the head. I want to keep the resolution fairly close to the originals but remove all the nastly stretching and visible seams.

Will be glad to hear what you think of it, I tried to keep it as authentic as possible. I would like to point out clearly that so far I have only changed the head and the lower chest part.

/me gives a

That's an interesting aspect we frequently forget: the soldiers are actually former mariners possessed by Quake (the same can be said about the enforcers). It does make sense they ressemble the player, yet the original model kinda failed on that IMHO. Remember that Quake borrows a lot of story concepts from Doom (where you find possessed soldiers in every base you visit).

About the axe: altough the player spawns with it I agree with the idea of the mariner taking it from a fallen foe.

Keep up with the good work!

Comment

• Originally posted by frag.machine View Post
            It does make sense they ressemble the player
            Actually I believe the player is supposed to be a Ranger from a seperate special forces like unit, at least that's what I gathered from the quake wiki. Although their armour is similar to the player, I think the grunts are supposed to be a more run of the mill type of infantry.

Comment

• looks good capnbubs
              yay for no more stretching of textures

stretching textures are bad, mkay

so its a good thing you're fixing that
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• man all this activity feels like 1995 again!!
                It's nice to see an active art direction focusing on the original.
                Same with 'In The Shadows'; just sparked a huge surge of nostalgia with respect to the original game!
                Seems quake 1 went wonky around the y2k time and all mods went q3 clone...

Its nice to see the grass growing from between the rocks...
                heres some original idsoft concept art used for that paper model

as u can see all the art was water color/pen then digitally converted. Reminds me of Borderlands imho ;l
                i have compared the armor art with the original digital skin, and the "dots" line up...

this is for the 2d artists out there wanting reference for making new GPL quake skins....

yes i have the quake marine paper model (1 unwrapped the second in PERFECTcondition for year 2016!)
                Last edited by R00k; 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Would be great if somebody could find all the old concept art, or any authentic high res art around, any reference would be helpful.

Comment

• ya, i could make some calls, but legal dept would still stop any likeness.
                    best that would be could be the unused concept art...

<-- i made this avatar by taking the original 8-bit pixelated skin; blowing it up %500 then blur filter then drawing over it.
                    Then shrinking it back down .

the only legal avenue i could think is to use the same color scheme. One cannot copyright a color!
                    Last edited by R00k; 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• I think Baker told all the quake weapons came from s-mart. lol!

nice job on the models what program are you using? im just started playing with blender and am watching tons of how to YouTube on it so far i SUCK!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• The re-texture of the grunt is finished!

I kept it as close as I could whilst adding detail where I thought it was needed and cleaning up any seams or stretching in the texture. Hope you all like it!

I have replaced the soldier in the pack now.

Authentic Models Pack

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                        I think Baker told all the quake weapons came from s-mart. lol!

nice job on the models what program are you using? im just started playing with blender and am watching tons of how to YouTube on it so far i SUCK!
                        I'm using Blender and the QuakeForge addon to create the models. Just keep following tutorials and you'll get good at it in no time!
                        Last edited by capnbubs; 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• About the ax shape: I'd say the straight edges were for poly count. I don't remember seeing any ax with a straight edge. While I may have, they certainly aren't common, and for a very good reason: that curve increases both the length of the cutting edge and the likelihood of it hitting the target squarely. Those of you that think an ax with straight edges looks modern need to visit your local hardware store .

Actually, I just remember the sort of ax that has a straight edge. However, they're not for swinging, they're for whacking with a sledgehammer: they have a flat butt for the job and the handle is to hold them steady. Not something a ranger would choose to swing around, and his ax is double sided anyway.

Comment

• JDSTONER: Re sucking at blender: check the topology related tutorials on blendercookie.com. Those are free, as is the series on modeling the female body (and many others). And then just practice, practice practice

Comment

• Waiting on Sole to do some magic so I can edit the news, clearly this is front page material right here. Soon ;F
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Capnbubs, could you please save the future model skins at bigger resolutions? Is a bit hard try to make "hi res" skins of your great work with so tiny images.

Please
                                Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

Working...
                                X