Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osjclatchford
    replied
    well ive got to say that Im using quakespasm and have not noticed any of these anim issues in game.
    but I know theres a lot of different engine ports so I guess this is needed.

as for the skin colour.
    its true is a tiny bit brighter but there are good reasons.
    its down to the quake pallete giving limitations. when scaling the tone of the skin in the strict pallete you get some very stange and ugly artifacts happening as you change the tonal range around. this was the closest I could get it without starting to loose detail in the darker regions where the pallete simply replaced several colours for the same dark one (as it just doesnt contain enough colour variants to replace them with).
    with the colourscheme of this monster, there was an extremely small window for what colours would work and what would not. its not always that way in the quake pallete but this time it was.
    too much slider left and it all goes greeny brown. too much t'other way and it gets pink. not enough either way and you just loose depth of detail (as explained above).
    in the end I had to diffuse the whole skin, post alteration, just to keep any real detail in it at all...

But, take the "face" area.
    This is taken directly from the skin of the original shub model and (apart from some extensive stretching, skewing and mspaint pixel punching) its all the original colours.
    Now, that matches with my altered teamonster skin so Im satisfied with it.

however the tentacle and other bits are mapped very differently (also part of why it works so well) from the original oldone model so portng these parts over for continuity is a no-no.

essentially, as far as I can see, I think Ive taken this as far as I can where classic-reinterpretation goes.
    its a compromise I was happy to make. miniscule colour difference against loss of detail was a no-brainer for me...

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    It works now. To make sure it won't cause issues with some ports, I have named the frames. While doing that, I noticed that the second animation (shake) has a lot more frames than the original. Ingame it looks weird since the model seems frozen for quite a while. Deleting those unnecessary frames fixed it.

Data from the original oldone.mdl for comparison:
    - Animation "old" has 46 frames (old1-old46)
    - Animation "shake" has 20 frames (shake1-shake20)

Maybe the skin could also be darker in general.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    hmm...looking at it in qme, the skin and model are fine. I'd say that the animation thing is because the frames are not named.
    see here: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4b...pd6jzec2zg.jpg
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-09-2021, 01:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    When opening Tea Monster's last mdl version in q1mv, there are no animations present. Also, one part of the "feet" is not textured on its top.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    well that sucks.
    still, it'll be worth the wait. I'm sure you'll love it! I think it came out real nice!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X