No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dog looks very good. The animations are top notch, and you did it so fast! I had to disable r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale to 0 so the model didn't look warped, but normally I have this on. What would be the proper filename structure to create a normalmap of the dog texture? (I think that would fix the offset texture for my config... not sure I am not an expert.)

Comment

Originally posted by capnbubs View Post

Just to clarify, the reason I am working with this fairly low number of polygons is because I feel like there should be a kind of synergy between the world and the characters that inhabit it, this makes the game more compelling for me and helps to make it more immersive.

To me this amount of detail on the characters feels right for the detail of the levels they are seen in. There are other reasons too, such as ease of rigging and animation, but the main reason is that it's simply a stylistic choice on how I prefer Quake to look.
      ^^ i agree
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Hello capnbubs,

Thank god I still have a week holiday, so I can play around and test your work and enjoy it

The dog looks even better than the soldier. Maybe because the difference is much bigger between ID dog and yours compared to the soldiers.

I tested your dog with notarget cheat to see all its glory, when I saw that you used 1 frame 2 times in the standing animation. The 1st and last frame in standing animation uses the same frame, which makes the dog freeze for a short time in every loop.
        But you can of course forget this issue when normaly playing Quake (without notarget cheat), because he would run at you at once.
        Just wanted to tell you about it...

The detailes like tail, ears and texture are really really beautiful !
        I never thought that I would finaly see the Quake-dogs face one day

Amazing work.
        Please dont stop

EDITED:
        You might also consider creating head gibs based on your reworked models. Head gibs and monster models belong together like cheese and onions

====================

Hello DeadTenor,

If you are using the Darkplaces engine and want to create normal textures for your model, you must not use alpha channels in your normals.
        If you do, you will get the exact issue you have (extrem distortion).
        Please delete the alpha channel in your normal and you can use offsetmapping with default settings again.
        There are several discussions in this forum about this topic. My-Key started a thread about this issue here

Best wishes,
        Seven
        Last edited by Seven; 03-18-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
          I tested your dog with notarget cheat to see all its glory, when I saw that you used 1 frame 2 times in the standing animation. The 1st and last frame in standing animation uses the same frame, which makes the dog freeze for a short time in every loop.
          But you can of course forget this issue when normaly playing Quake (without notarget cheat), because he would run at you at once.
          Just wanted to tell you about it...

EDITED:
          You might also consider creating head gibs based on your reworked models. Head gibs and monster models belong together like cheese and onions ;
          Thanks, I noticed the mistake with the double frame last night but was too tired to fix it, I'll fix it now and reupload.

I'll also see about making a head file.

Comment

The Dog and grunt are now both included in the pack. Link in first post has been updated and I'll post it here too for convenience.
            Amazing stuff, I especially like how these models fit in with the rest of the Quake world. I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with the fiend.

Comment

I have improved the idle animation for the dog so that it doesn't pause when it loops now. I have also created a head gib for the dog and added it to the pack. The .blend file for the dog is updated with the changes too.

Originally posted by sock View Post
              Amazing stuff, I especially like how these models fit in with the rest of the Quake world. I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with the fiend.
              Thanks! I can't wait to get to the Fiend, definately my favourite Quake monster.

Comment

Really awesome

I also wanted to say that these models are really great. This is what a model set for Quake should be like: Fix errors, make minor additions and improve the animations instead of building high-poly models with new skins and normal maps that just look out of place in the game (except if you're using DarkPlaces with all settings cranked up).

I prefer the original look and feel of the game, and these models are true to that. I'm looking forward to what else you will come up with.

Good work!

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words everybody C:

While doing a bit of research in the quake model files I noticed that the quake soldier and the player are very similar models, even the texture maps are very close. So I've decided to quickly map the player texture to the new soldier model to get a mid poly player done really quickly.

I do want to retexture all the models eventually, but I want to get all the models done first. I'm going to update them in their order of appearance in SP, so the ogre is next after the player, then the scrag, knight, fiend, zombie, shambler etc.

Comment

I would like to use some of your assets in my MOD, what sort of credit do you want? What do you want in the readme file? Do you mind if people re-use your assets?

Comment

I would like to use some of your assets in my MOD, what sort of credit do you want? What do you want in the readme file? Do you mind if people re-use your assets?
                      I don't mind at all as long as you give me credit in the readme. I'm creating these assets to help out the quake community, if that means it helps somebody improve their mod then great!

Comment

I don't mind at all as long as you give me credit in the readme.
                        Yes but what sort of credit? name, nick, website etc

Comment

Yes but what sort of credit? name, nick, website etc
                          Ah right, just put down capnbubs :]

Edit: also finished the new player model, need to do all the animations for him.

Last edited by capnbubs; 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Just registered to say that these are fucking excellent.

Great to see someone making proper quake models that actually fit the aesthetic!

Can't wait to see more!

Comment

Also, these models seem to cope with Quake's 8-bit vertex precision "wobblyness" really really well!

As in, the best I've seen yet.

Comment

These look great! I see the dog has a new uv layout too, great, no more texture stretching! We should get in touch. I already have a faithful high(er) poly scrag in the works. I've rebaked the original texture to a new uv set so I can just paint over that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X