Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
    Edit: also finished the new player model, need to do all the animations for him.
    Could you correct his posture?
    The soldier has always been hunched over a bit. I think this has carried over a bit into the new player model.
    In the original player model, imho, the axe idle anim is the best looking scene of the player.
    Something about his stance with that axe make him look like he means business.
    Matching that angle/height of the torso might help for the other anims.

The model looks really good though, keep up the good work!
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      ...using the Darkplaces engine and want to create normal textures for your model, you must not use alpha channels in your normals.
      If you do, you will get the exact issue you have (extrem distortion).
      Please delete the alpha channel in your normal and you can use offsetmapping with default settings again.
      Seven, I think I understand the prinicipal behind what you are saying (I think--- I learn slow), but in this screenshot I don't think I had a working normal map. It looks the same with and without the normalmap I made with the Nvidia photoshop plugin. I also tried a forum suggestion of saving the original tga to a bmp and back to tga to remove the alpha channels. Still looks the same. Right now in the same folder as the model (id1/progs) I have a file called dogtexture_norm.tga, if that is the right file name? It's confusing because I am so used to the dog.mdl_0_norm format that darkplaces uses.

Comment

Originally posted by metchsteekle View Post
        Chainsaw, chainsaw them in half!
        Isn't doom broseph, round here we swing AXES ;O
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

@deadtenor

it should be named dog.mdl_0_norm.tga
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Splitterface and Seven, not sure why but it's still not working. I can of course turn off offsetmapping and it looks fine, but that's trading one thing for another. I would really love the best of both worlds!

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              In the original player model, imho, the axe idle anim is the best looking scene of the player.
              Something about his stance with that axe make him look like he means business.
              Matching that angle/height of the torso might help for the other anims.
              I think it's natural to lean foward and hunch a little when running, especially if you expect people to shoot at you.

I'll see what feels natural to me when I do the animations for the player, I personally think the axe pose looks good for the axe, but a forward facing torso when holding a two handed weapon would not be ideal.

Comment

@deadtenor
                if you are seeing the dog weird with offset-mapping turned on, try making a simply pure black 32x32 texture and call it dog.mdl_0_norm.tga

and be sure to make filetype of it tga so it overwrites any other normalmaps you might have for dog
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Thank!!!! this is exactly what I've been looking for...... for ages!!!! You just have to cover all the models!! the worst model for me is the shambler, his face particularly.
                  MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

I've started work on the player animations now, going to try and get most of them done this evening, he has a lot of deaths though which will slow me down.

The axe run was a bit spazzy so I reanimated it from scratch, here's a comparison gif.

I'm much happier with my new animation C:

Comment

• Try having the arms lag one frame behind on the legs and see how it looks.

Comment

• i know what u mean, it just kinda looked like he was sitting on an invisible unicycle... looks good though!
                        Like the axe!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                          Try having the arms lag one frame behind on the legs and see how it looks.
                          I am already giving them some secondary motion by having them lag behind the leg motion and easing them in and out at each end so moving them a frame back will exaggerate the effect comedically.

That said, if you wish to edit them yourself when it is finished I will include the Blender files.

Comment

• Try holding a large, double bladed axe like that, in one hand with the head pointing slightly downward, for an extended amount of time. Then try to run with it like that. The quakeguy must have enormous strength in his arms and hands.

Tbh the original has the same problem, that axe should be held in two hands while running or scaled down a lot.
                            Scout's Journey
                            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• I just registered to say I love these models. Excellent stuff! I got them working in DirectQ but my preferred engine is Fitzquake, is there a trick to getting them work in that?

Comment

• Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                                Try holding a large, double bladed axe like that, in one hand with the head pointing slightly downward, for an extended amount of time. Then try to run with it like that. The quakeguy must have enormous strength in his arms and hands.

Tbh the original has the same problem, that axe should be held in two hands while running or scaled down a lot.
                                I was thinking the same thing but didnt wanna complain too much

Comment

Working...
                                X