Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,

This is really great work, the soldier and dog look great. you also remapped the soldier skin, the model should look much better with textures

The ogres face has a sharp point that could use some work.

cheers,

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
      heres some original idsoft concept art used for that paper model

What is your source for that being based on concept art? On the product itself it nowhere says that nor on the website.
      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

• Originally posted by Arioch View Post
        Capnbubs, could you please save the future model skins at bigger resolutions? Is a bit hard try to make "hi res" skins of your great work with so tiny images.

Please
        Creating the images to be seen at a higher resolution would take extra work on my part, and I already have a lot of work ahead of me recreating every monster in quake without having to do that too.

The other reason I am making the textures this size is because I like to play quake with gl_texturemode set to gl_nearest, to emulate the look of software quake. Higher resolution textures don't match up with the other textures in the game, especially when you can see the pixels clearly.

I have, however, included some high resolution UV maps in the project now to help anybody wishing to make high resolution skins or do any re-texturing of my models. If anybody wants existing high resolution skins ported across to my models I can do that fairly easily in the future by baking them across in blender.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Smith_ View Post
          If it comes to order of priority imo:
          - Player model for multiplayer crowd.
          +1

A new, sharp, high poly, 'modern-player-friendly' player.mdl, will help attract new players (the kids!), and keep Q1 alive.

Btw, LOVE the captains new animations, but no-one has raised the issue of VWEP compatibility. IIUC VWEP making is 'fiddly', and weapons have to be positioned manually frame by frame. Is this still the case in 2013, or is there an easier, more efficient method?
          Last edited by onemanclan; 03-20-2013, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• I'll gladly do new handpainted skins for these once I get the time
            On a sidenote, if it's not too much efford, could you export these to .FBX also for us non-blender users?

Comment

• Originally posted by onemanclan View Post
              Btw, LOVE the captains new animations, but no-one has raised the issue of VWEP compatibility. IIUC VWEP making is 'fiddly', and weapons have to be positioned manually frame by frame. Is this still the case in 2013, or is there an easier, more efficient method?

This topic has been discussed during development of Ruohis new player model here.
              Ruohis did a v_weapon supporting player model (downloadable in that thread).

The problem is not to make a vwep player model, the question is: How many engines support it beside ezquake ? Read Spike´s thougts about this topic and see the problems behind it.

capnbubs is making an awesome faithful player model for all standard engines. An easy "drop and play" model.

Let us be happy and thankful about it and complain the engine devs not to support this feature

Comment

• Originally posted by onemanclan View Post
                Because I am animating using skeletal animation creating VWEP models should be very easy. All I would need are model files for the weapons and I can rig them to the weapon bone and then just export the animations.

I will probably do this after I have finished remaking all the monsters.

Comment

• Again, a million golden manbabies for your excellent work, captain.

I have to admit, normally when I hear the word "re-skin" made in the context of Quake models, my skin tends to crawl.

But...your new grunt skin has proved me wrong - it's faithful to the original, and looks great!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                    What is your source for that being based on concept art? On the product itself it nowhere says that nor on the website.
                    Looking closely at the armor, pants, knee pads u can see a lot of similarities.
                    The face isnt exact. But neither is the qtest skin compared to the final.
                    It's just an assumption on my part that idsoft licensed out art they werent gonna use.

About VWEP, the EASIEST way would be to do it like ID did it, making 8 player models each with a different weapon. Precache them in qc, then setmodel in weapons.qc
                    requires a custom mod. 75% of the players play singleplayer or coop, so vwep is a non issue. 90% of the dm players dont want vwep. So all this mumbo jumbo for the 2.5% runequakers

@Cap: any update pics?
                    Last edited by R00k; 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                      The other reason I am making the textures this size is because I like to play quake with gl_texturemode set to gl_nearest, to emulate the look of software quake. Higher resolution textures don't match up with the other textures in the game, especially when you can see the pixels clearly.
                      I want to marry you.

You and sock seem to be the only Quake character modellers who actually "gets it".

Comment

• Originally posted by Kinn View Post
                        I want to marry you.

You and sock seem to be the only Quake character modellers who actually "gets it".
                        If I could make models for Quake (it's on my action plan to learn) you could count me in on that too. I really love the original pixel-y look of Quake.

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
                          @Cap: any update pics?
                          Not at the moment, just working my way through all the player death animations, should have his animations finished soon though. Then I'll either re-texture him or start on the ogre, depending on what I feel like doing!

Originally posted by Kinn View Post
                          I want to marry you.

<3

I love the way quake looks already, I just want to polish up some of the rough edges!

Comment

• I'm too occupied with RL to keep up, but here's a remodeled scrag. The skin is still on the backburner...

It wasn't made with GL_NEAREST in mind, so the tail is rotated a bit to save space in the UV map, though that should be an easy fix if you're willing to fore go a little resolution.

raw unrigged obj and skin:
                            http://www.spiney.me/files/rmq/scragobj.zip

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                              I'm too occupied with RL to keep up, but here's a remodeled scrag. The skin is still on the backburner...
                              It looks great!

The scrag is next on my list after the ogre, since I'm doing them in order of appearance. I really like what you've done with the skin so far, are you repainting over the original?

Comment

• Yeah I've scaled up and just painting over.

Comment

Working...
                                X