No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, is there something that needs to be done with the model before it can be used with 24 bit skins? I literally know nothing on the subject, but the player.mdl doesnīt seem work in ezQuake and I was lead to believe it has something to do with primevilīs 24bits skins.

Comment

• Originally posted by carapace View Post
      Hmm, is there something that needs to be done with the model before it can be used with 24 bit skins? I literally know nothing on the subject, but the player.mdl doesnīt seem work in ezQuake and I was lead to believe it has something to do with primevilīs 24bits skins.
      I took a peek and the skin is totally different from the original player model, Primevil's skill we either have to be re-grafted or remade to fit this new texture.

Comment

• capnbubs remapped the models to fix the stretching.
        so they are not compatible with skins for the original models

so someone would have to step up to also adjust the hi-res textures available for use with capnbubs new models
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• You can cross-bake them in Blender. Get the old model with a new skin on. Place it so it occupies the same space as capnbubs. Then shift-click the old model, then capnbub's. Go to the Render tab and choose 'Bake' at the bottom. Set it to 'selected to active' and choose 'textures'.

You'll have to fiddle with the settings to get a decent bake off, but it should be possible.

Sadly I don't have time to do it at the moment, or I'd just bash it out for you guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by metchsteekle View Post
            I took a peek and the skin is totally different from the original player model, Primevil's skill we either have to be re-grafted or remade to fit this new texture.
            Yea I redid the UV map to fix the texture stretching. I'm going to release two versions, one with my new texture mapping and one with the old school textures.

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
            You can cross-bake them in Blender. Get the old model with a new skin on. Place it so it occupies the same space as capnbubs. Then shift-click the old model, then capnbub's. Go to the Render tab and choose 'Bake' at the bottom. Set it to 'selected to active' and choose 'textures'.

You'll have to fiddle with the settings to get a decent bake off, but it should be possible.

Sadly I don't have time to do it at the moment, or I'd just bash it out for you guys.
            This is actually how I did the new skins, I cross baked the vanilla quake skins on to my new UVs and painted over them, would be pretty easy for me to do the same with the high res skins but it's pretty low on my list of priorities. Somebody who has the knowhow in blender though could do it using the blend files I provided, the models have two UV maps in those for this reason.

Comment

• Any chance of adding a jump animation to the player model ? Maybe after the standard frames, so it won't break compatibility...

Comment

• Truth be told, the Quake player doesnt need his legs to do his jumping work. He has undeniably strong 'Chi' and when he wants to jump, his body simply "jumps".

Hee Hee, plz note my sarcasm. This is definitely a oddity that has went under all of our radars til you mentioned it.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Originally posted by frag.machine View Post
                  Any chance of adding a jump animation to the player model ? Maybe after the standard frames, so it won't break compatibility...
                  I'm actually planning on doing jumping, swimming and directional running in my mod.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  Truth be told, the Quake player doesnt need his legs to do his jumping work. He has undeniably strong 'Chi' and when he wants to jump, his body simply "jumps".
                  This could also be how he is able to run at superhuman speeds. Obviously the doomguy goes faster because he channels all of his Chi into running, leaving none available to jump!

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                    I'm actually planning on doing jumping, swimming and directional running in my mod.
                    Not sure what you are refering to by mod, but a swimming animation, although probably sweet looking, would change the multiplayer gameplay to a certain extent. Do with this information what you want, just thought Iīd put it out there!

Comment

• These are great.

We've actually been doing something similar over in our Schism project; S C H I S M - Index

Most of the forum is off-limits, give me a shout if you'd like to take a look inside capnbubs.

We've got afair few creatures in progress, and luckily none of the ones you have (at least posted here).

We're going for the same type of look as well, ~q3 polycounts, tryign to maintain the feel and precision of the originals rather than reinvent them.

I haven't read all the pages of comments, what model format are you using?

We're experimenting with IQM; Inter-Quake Model (IQM) Format which avoids issues like vertex drift and so on, and using Noesis for export, although Blender has a native IQM exporter, I hear.

Comment

• This reminds me, how close are we to having a fully GPL free quake? Can you imagine what it would do for the community if we could get quake shipping with a linux distro or the like?

Are these models "from scratch enough" to be consider an original work that could be distributed GPL without any worry from id software or their publishers?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMachine View Post
                          This reminds me, how close are we to having a fully GPL free quake? Can you imagine what it would do for the community if we could get quake shipping with a linux distro or the like?

Are these models "from scratch enough" to be consider an original work that could be distributed GPL without any worry from id software or their publishers?
                          id would come down upon the community with all guns blazing. Besides, I'd be certain you could pick up the original game for a few "bucks" or "quid".

Comment

• Originally posted by FifthElephant View Post
                            id would come down upon the community with all guns blazing. Besides, I'd be certain you could pick up the original game for a few "bucks" or "quid".
                            I don't imagine they would, considering they released the source and map polygons GPL. It would just need to be all 100% GPL, and re-branded (i.e. not called Quake, no NIN on the nail boxes, etc).

Comment

• Even if they are not the stuff that Id created, then they are still the look and feel of Quake (and would still be called 'Quake') so it wouldn't be copyright free.

Now, if you want to creat a total conversion game where you play a lone, armoured insurance salesman, who works in this giant gothic office buidling, and gets attacked by different disgruntled customers, then you may be onto a winner.

Comment

• awesome work

Comment

Working...
                                X