No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, if you want to create a total conversion game where you play a lone, armoured insurance salesman, who works in this giant gothic office building, and gets attacked by different disgruntled customers, then you may be onto a winner.
    - that sounds like some dumb-ass game that I would make. All you have to do is keep everything you said and add "while maintaining that you are absolutely serious" and voila' you just put Gypsy in a can.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      - that sounds like some dumb-ass game that I would make. All you have to do is keep everything you said and add "while maintaining that you are absolutely serious" and voila' you just put Gypsy in a can.
      It's almost like this idea was already a movie, pretty much...

Falling Down (1993) - IMDb

Comment

• Originally posted by carapace View Post
        Not sure what you are refering to by mod, but a swimming animation, although probably sweet looking, would change the multiplayer gameplay to a certain extent. Do with this information what you want, just thought I´d put it out there!
        the bounding box doesnt rotate so the collision would be the same
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• how close are we to having a fully GPL free quake?
          It can't be done. If it's sufficiently unlike Quake to be copyright-free, then it's no longer Quake. In which case, it's pointless.

It's not even needed either. Quake is almost free on Steam.

Besides, almost no one uses Linux for gaming, so having Quake ship with a Linux distribution would do zilch.

The problem isn't that the game costs money, the problem is that the game loses hard against Call of Duty in the eyes of the typical gamer.

And they may even have a point.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
            ... And they may even have a point.

Comment

• I don't think it's worth worrying about trying to make quake popular or bringing loads of new players in. Quake is a very old game, be happy with the community that exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                Besides, almost no one uses Linux for gaming, so having Quake ship with a Linux distribution would do zilch.
                Many thousands of people play games on Linux.

Some actual numbers (of subsets of users who opted in):
                Ubuntu Popularity Contest
                Debian Popularity Contest
                https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?SB=v&SO=d&O=0&PP=50

And now back to the topic:

The face of the player character bugs me. It changes the character too much for me. He has more of a frown and the face is much longer (the original always seemed round and somewhat friendly to me). This model I would not install.
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

• Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                  The face of the player character bugs me. It changes the character too much for me. He has more of a frown and the face is much longer (the original always seemed round and somewhat friendly to me). This model I would not install.
                  I kind of see what you mean about the long face although I am proud of the new one, I could try and make it more like the original if everybody feels the same way.

I gave him the frown to be appropriate to the situation, thought he should be pretty angry.

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                    I kind of see what you mean about the long face although I am proud of the new one, I could try and make it more like the original if everybody feels the same way.

I gave him the frown to be appropriate to the situation, thought he should be pretty angry.
                    If you're happy with it, move on. Nothing worse than design by comittee!

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post

I'd rather he wasn't fat and friendly looking to be honest. I thought he looked more like the avatar at the bottom of the hud than the actual original model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kinn View Post
                        If you're happy with it, move on. Nothing worse than design by comittee!
                        Agreed! You could spend weeks adjusting tiny details and arguing over minutiae and never actually finish what you started, seen a lot of projects die because of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by FifthElephant View Post
                          I'd rather he wasn't fat and friendly looking to be honest. I thought he looked more like the avatar at the bottom of the hud than the actual original model.
                          That is actually what I used as a reference!

Comment

• Honestly, I don't like the face and never did, with your version of the model, In contrast, I don't think you should change a thing. My art teacher used to tell us "There is no incorrect art."

If your goal is actually to modify everything without changing anything (?) then maybe you should consider the model further. If you are an artist, being an artist within a certain style - when your work satisfies you, it is perfect.
                            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• I agree with the 'Gypsy, Kinn and Fifth'... if you're happy with it consider it done and move on. There will be no pleasing everybody and besides, you already provide everything in case someone wants to modify it to "their" liking.

I love what you've done and appreciate it as delivered. Thanks again,
                              - damage_
                              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

• "Art is never completed, it is only abandoned" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                                X