Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement you guys C:

I'm getting there on the ogre, he's just a little tougher than the ones I've done so far. I've almost finished his model now but his texture will need a lot of work.

I'm trying to update him in a faithful manner whilst still improving him to the same standards as the models I have done so far.

Here is just a quick update showing the progress on the model. I may clean up and remove some polys if he is a bit overly detailed when I'm finished.
    this is cool. continue. please. I'm sure you will say community many thanks. I would have money to help, but I'm a poor Ukrainian guy )))))))

Sorry for my english

Comment

• I really never noticed the ogre having those "tusks" until i examined the texture.
      Then I really never noticed his lack of pants either

on a side note: i remember playing Quake for the 1st time, and thinking, "hey wait i just killed that guy why cant i get his chainsaw/grenade launcher?!"
      It would have been interesting if every weapon in quake was acquired by killing and stealing..
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
        I really never noticed the ogre having those "tusks" until i examined the texture.
        Then I really never noticed his lack of pants either

on a side note: i remember playing Quake for the 1st time, and thinking, "hey wait i just killed that guy why cant i get his chainsaw/grenade launcher?!"
        It would have been interesting if every weapon in quake was acquired by killing and stealing..
        He's basically wearing a sack! I guess that is the effect that living in a dimension with very little light has on fashion sense.

I think the chainsaw is maybe a little big for the quake guy to use, it's huge!

Comment

• CapnBubs, are you building a professional portfolio maybe for 3d modelling and rigging?

Comment

• I'd maybe have him have a smaller/less-round head and slightly broader shoulders, but otherwise it's looking fairly good. It's going to be a hard one to call when remaking some of these models, I'm used to all of them having a kryton-like head.

Comment

• Also, regards to the grenade launcher... I always hated how wimpy it looked, are you going to beef it up? I know it's wouldn't be "faithful", but it looks like he's holding a pencil case not a weapon of death.

Comment

• Originally posted by FifthElephant View Post
                I'd maybe have him have a smaller/less-round head and slightly broader shoulders, but otherwise it's looking fairly good. It's going to be a hard one to call when remaking some of these models, I'm used to all of them having a kryton-like head.
                Originally posted by FifthElephant View Post
                Also, regards to the grenade launcher... I always hated how wimpy it looked, are you going to beef it up? I know it's wouldn't be "faithful", but it looks like he's holding a pencil case not a weapon of death.
                I am trying to make these faithful, but that doesn't mean I won't be making some changes. I'm not trying to make these models completely identical to the originals, I'm recreating them as I imagine they would have looked if the artists at iD could have worked with the same tools/limits as I have.

Basically when it comes down to it they will look how I imagine them. I think the ogres super wide shoulders will look weird to me when modeled with more detail, so I decided to bring them in a bit to make his proportions look less goofy. I might change the head later if it looks wrong when the model is finished, depends how it feels to me once it's all come together. (it is a little bit big actually!)

I might adjust the grenade launcher a bit but I don't want to stray too far from the original pistol like design, at least not for this standard replacement model.

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                  wall of text
                  Yeah I think it's hard to gauge without the chainsaw and feet on the model yet because once they're added they will definitely change the proportions of the model.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadTenor View Post
                    CapnBubs, are you building a professional portfolio maybe for 3d modelling and rigging?
                    Hey not really, I'm not really looking to get hired or anything. I do want to make my own game sometime though.

Comment

• model is looking nice so far bubs

make the lower teeth a bit shorter though? they seem kinda long

head and shoulders both look fine to me
                      Last edited by talisa; 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM.
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• You lost the boxyness of the ogre silhouette. His torso is like a square in front view.
                        You need to find the right balance between keeping the angular silhouettes and smoothing out the forms.
                        He also has very broad shoulders and a boxy cranium, you can't simply smooth that out without the silhouette looking radically different.
                        I've already tried remodeling it 3 times, so you can take my word on that
                        Last edited by Spiney; 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                          You lost the boxyness of the ogre silhouette. His torso is like a square in front view.
                          You need to find the right balance between keeping the angular silhouettes and smoothing out the forms. I've already tried remodelling it 3 times, so you can take my word on that
                          I disagree, the silhouettes are very similar. If you are talking about the pointed shoulders or completely flat sides then I think they are a side effect of the incredibly low polygon counts that iD had to work with and are the exact problems that I am creating these models to solve.

edit: I just realised that you may mean the proportions of the legs, the original has a very high crotch. I've added a front skirt on to my ogres outfit as it seemed like that's the way the texture was intended so it does alter the silhouette of the legs a bit.

Comment

• capnbubs models replacement character models that actually make sense for Quake SP

Well... capnbubs... I tried to come on to QuakeOne forums with some good insights and artistic contributions to make a couple months ago and then you pop in and register here and begin contributing 2 or more weeks after me and...
                            already beat my post count, garner whole subscribers to the forums solely out of appreciation for your work, and have more longstanding contributions in return of responses in a single thread then I've ever managed on any forums as of yet...
                            Allright FINE you win... So much for MY sweeping community-involved sudden introduction and rapid contributions. Aghh though someday...
                            So Kudos I guess 'cause I guess you had just the right combination of givin' the community exactly what it would have wanted even if it might not have been better able to understand/explain what it wants.

Of course I'm talking about the WAY you are doing these models...
                            It's one thing to do 'remake player models' but to do them in an actually straightforward manner as pertains to the need of them and their use in Quake... is something far superior... and I think... that... that's really what's the best part here.
                            Forgoing quality of models' shape and animation in general, all-inclusiveness of the greater part of 'source materials', and even a good sense of which parts better need to be 'extruded' from being just textured on to actually being modeled on versus others...
                            it's your better understanding of that it's supposed to fit in better with the levels already in Quake in visual style (and how its level of detail is to fit at higher detail but not outstandingly from the levels themselves' level of visual detail AND be compatible as full-on relacement .mdl files... ) rather than stand out from them/go stylistically against them... than most OTHER 'quake one remodellers' have... that is what's the most important part.

I'll wait patiently as you continue your way up through Ogre, Scrag, Knight, Fiend (or 'monster_demon1' as Quake SP level designers know), Shambler and so on...
                            Oh and yes I understand you're busy and I'm actually kind of glad you can't be pumping out models like this even more unexpectedly rapidly 'cause
                            I am doin' nothin' (I'm unemployed and have no life and don't mod often) and you're doin' a LOT (you are fully employed (I presume? ) and are getting more 'community respect' than I'll ever stand a chance of having no matter how hard I try (don't ask... ) and DO mod often) so it's just as well
                            'cause then I can selfishly wait while you work hehehehh... and I feel you might get done with 5 full models (versions with... original mesh for compatibility with other relevant Q1 skins for that model and modified/'from scratch' mesh to fix 'texture streching' issues... both included for each) before I'd even get around to simply packing the .mdl files into a progs/ folder in a .pak file and planting it firmly in Id1/ or so... and I guess that works out better for me heh heheh hehehehhh (yes really I am very slow to get stuff done all day)...

Gushing aside I'm just enjoying seeing you do this more straightforward work on 'updating' Quake one's character models to more straightforward standards of 'model detail' at least...
                            and it's kind of like you're modelling the 'replacement models' I would have modeled myself if I had the talent...
                            'cause there's some really uncanny coincidences in WHICH parts specifically you are choosing to extrude from 'textured on' to 'modeled on' and ones that had bugged me that they were merely 'textuerd on' and not fully 'modeled on' in the past...
                            Once I read you explaining the protrusions of the player model's knee patches and back pockets and helmet I pretty much got hooked from there... also Ogre's tusks... WOW I never even noticed those before ever and you still are making sense with them... I'm wondering what you have in mind for the Shalrath's whiskers... hehehehh...

I have just a FEW burning questions at this point.
                            You've said you are gonna be doing them in the order they appaered in Single Player in Quake One however there's an issue with this.
                            Quake One's monsters make their 'first appearances' in different order depending on the skill settings used ingame...
                            In Hard and Nightmare mode the Shambler makes its 'first apperance' in Episode One far earlier than it is better known for as the 'pre-boss' before the end of Episode One in Gloom Keep...
                            I've also noticed that the Scrag does not actually appear in Castle of the Damned on Medium skill leaving the Fiend to make its introduction first (and only one of them rather than the sudden reappearence of two more after its defeat in E1M2)
                            As it says in the Quake manual/handbook that comes with Quake One CD (I still have the original manual from the actual 1996 copy of Quake I got a LONG time ago but somehow I lost the actual CD for it years ago and I am lucky enough just to still have the manual and its CD case)
                            ''We at id play on Hard''
                            so I'm half expecting this is based on the 'Hard/Nigthmare' ordering of Monsters making 'first appearances' in Quake's Single Player as opposed to that of 'Easy' or 'Normal'...

Without further ado I give you my 'burning questions'.
                            They're listed in hexadecimal and start from 0 as opposed to starting from 1 (don't ask... )...
                            0x00. What 'skill setting' is your 'order of appearence' going on?
                            0x01. What do you intend to do to make up the huge lapse in 'new monsters' through Episode Three as...
                            as you'll recall...
                            Episode Two's last introduced was the Shalrath (better known as the Vore) and the very next 'new monster' introduced was the 'Spawn'/'Blob' (also known as 'tarbaby' due to ''tarbaby.mdl''...
                            and I suspect id of some more old-school form of 'educated racial rhetoric'...
                            considering the less well known/understood term ''tar baby''... ) in Episode Four...

0x02. Are you going to do the Shalrath up as a sexy spideresque femme?
                            Are you going to treat it as 'canonically male' as with all the 'quake baddies' up until the very last?
                            Are you going to going to focus more on the sheer bestial ferocity of the 'physchic ball-hurling spider queen monster' than either female or male gender aspects?
                            0x03. How can you POSSIBLY do 'model detail improvements' on the Spawn in the same manner as with the others?
                            It's a giant poisonously elementally TAR blob of TAR merrily bouncing brought to life via some spawning magic yet explodes when killed because it's made of TAR dammit...
                            It has a mouth and if you ever see it from the side you'll notice this and then wonder why you don't notice this more often...
                            That's about it.
                            Maybe give it more webbed footing as it hops stickily along the ground?

0x04. How are you gonna figure out the 'boss characters' given their higher magnitude in size?
                            Are you just going to do the same for them as before taking size adquately into consideration but not making/taking particular focus from it?
                            Will it actually be an issue to face when doing such relatively large 'character models'..?
                            0x05. Given that there are exactly 16 'character models' counting 13 monsters, 2 'bosses', and the player model...
                            will you be doing more models on request after these are done?
                            Will you be moving right on to the 'new monsters' from the two Quake Mission Packs after these are done?
                            0x06. Any chance of getting that Rottweiler to double as a pet in another instance outside the realm(s) of Quake?
                            Those flopping pointy ears are so cute...
                            Maybe if he's not canonically hopped up mindlessly on steroids n'eh?
                            0x07. Will you be giving 'added animations' with frame numbers that come after those used by the QuakeC code for the models for the 'monsters'/'bosses' as well as you had in mind for the Player model with its jumping, swimming, directional/diagonal running etc. animations?

Before anyone asks yes I did read this entire thread (up until this post here now of course) before I wrote/made this post.
                            I pride myself on the lengths I can go to in thoroughness of my posts... and
                            capnbubs beat me at my own game to some extent coming in 2 to 4 weeks after I did onto QuakeOne forums and passing my success on the boards with good speed and I just wanna congratulate him for that dammit so forgive a little gushing... but
                            I gotta be able to one-up all a' these good folks here somehow... hehh... hehehehh...

Comment

• long posts are like long turds, get lost when i wipe.

If u have something to offer just do it, dont hexadecimal - state it.

Sorry i got about 1/3rd into your post before i realized i was too bored to read the rest.. or your tone was too dry to care.

In another word, sit. You just seem like someone who wanted to do this but didnt, and now your mad?

If you are totally not in this mindset, well, thats how it comes across...
                              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Originally posted by H1CC View Post
                                0x00. What 'skill setting' is your 'order of appearence' going on?
                                0x01. What do you intend to do to make up the huge lapse in 'new monsters' through Episode Three
                                0x02. Are you going to do the Shalrath up as a sexy spideresque femme?
                                Are you going to treat it as 'canonically male' as with all the 'quake baddies' up until the very last?
                                Are you going to going to focus more on the sheer bestial ferocity of the 'physchic ball-hurling spider queen monster' than either female or male gender aspects?
                                0x03. How can you POSSIBLY do 'model detail improvements' on the Spawn in the same manner as with the others?
                                It's a giant poisonously elementally TAR blob of TAR merrily bouncing brought to life via some spawning magic yet explodes when killed because it's made of TAR dammit...
                                0x04. How are you gonna figure out the 'boss characters' given their higher magnitude in size?
                                0x05. Given that there are exactly 16 'character models' counting 13 monsters, 2 'bosses', and the player model...
                                will you be doing more models on request after these are done?
                                Will you be moving right on to the 'new monsters' from the two Quake Mission Packs after these are done?
                                0x06. Any chance of getting that Rottweiler to double as a pet in another instance outside the realm(s) of Quake?
                                Those flopping pointy ears are so cute...
                                Maybe if he's not canonically hopped up mindlessly on steroids n'eh?
                                0x07. Will you be giving 'added animations' with frame numbers that come after those used by the QuakeC code for the models for the 'monsters'/'bosses' as well as you had in mind for the Player model with its jumping, swimming, directional/diagonal running etc. animations?
                                Hi H1CC, I apologise for stealing your thunder!

0. I'm doing the order of appearance based on nightmare.

1. I don't plan to do anything about the lapse in new monsters in this model pack, it's purely to upgrade the models that already exist. If I get round to making the mod I have planned then I will be adding new monsters to fill out the ranks but it won't be the standard quake campaign.

2. I just took a look at the shalrath model and it looks to me as though it is genderless, much like the other more monster like creatures in quake. I will upgraded it concentrating on what I can see hinted at in the original model, the mouth and teeth for instance look like they could be given more detail.

3. The tar baby will mostly be a case of adding polys to smooth it out a bit and fixing all the nasty stretching in the texture.

4. I haven't given much thought to the bosses yet, except that I would like to add more tentacles coming out the top of shub, I've been looking up some artist's portrayals of shub from the cthulu mythos to try and get some ideas. I imagine I'll give them higher resolution textures to try and get the actual pixels on screen at a similar size to the normal monsters.

5. I never played the mission packs and do not have any intention to upgrade their models. Once I finish my monster pack I intend to update the weapon models and then work on my mod.

6. Haha, well people are free to do what they want with the model as long as they give me credit!

7. I have done a little bit of this already, I am planning on adding more animations in the future but finishing all the monsters is the top priority!

If you want to earn respect in a forum just produce something, nothing will get people to respect you faster than seeing you working hard at something.

Comment

Working...
                                X