No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think H1CC wanted to sound negative; looks like he tried to be humorous in his compliments, but his current depression kinda dried that out.

By the way, the shalrath's model in qtest seems to be clearly male, with no female breasts.

Anyway... capnbubs, some ideas:

- Give the player's gun a strap like this one. This would explain how the player can carry the gun on his back. And since the gun has a sci-fi style, the strap could be automatically retracted inside the gun to retain the strap-less look when he holds it.
    The grunt's gun doesn't need it, as the grunt never carries his gun on his back.

- Make the player carry the axe on his belt, not on his back. This would also look cooler, at least to me.

- Keep the bottom of the axe's head rounded, but make its top flat, like this one. This would make it realistic while still retaining Quake's style. This is important because, in the original viewmodel, what seems to really deal the damage is the sharp corner at the axe's top; its a blend of piercing and cutting, not just cutting.

- Make an alternate player skin with no glove on the right hand, to match the gloveless hand of the axe's viewmodel. But keep the left hand's glove on, to retain some of the original aesthetic of the player's model.

- If you're gonna remake the viewmodels, make an alternate version of the axe's viewmodel with a gloved hand. Along with the above, this would give players the opportunity to choose either a gloved or gloveless right hand while keeping both internal and external models consistent.

I also suggest taking a look at the models included in Makaqu's PAK10.PAK file for additional references. It contains some bugfixed, improved or remade models I've made through the years.

The original knight's UV mapping, for example, is atrocious, so I've fixed it, and the grenade uses the qtest grenade's skin, which has a much higher resolution, and which iirc I've edited to match the colors of the grenade from the final game.

I don't remember if this has already been answered here, but which version of Blender are you using, and which extra scripts/tools/etc.? I want to include your remade models in Makaqu's PAK10.PAK file, but I may want to tweak a few details in them.

Also, please include a license file in the package. From what you said, you could use CC-BY or even a BSD license; either are compatible with the GPL.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by H1CC View Post
      stuff and things

Comment

• Rofl. Kinn. <3

Comment

• Wow H1CC, I love to read, but that seemed like some kind of strange one-sided therapy session. ?I hope you feel better soon?. I'm with R00k, I got about 1/3rd of the way and mentally fell asleep.

Not tryin to hate, but it seems like a waste of time to write so much if no one is willing to read it. I've written QC mods with far less characters than that. Maybe, you should focus that energy on a project.

If u have something to offer just do it, dont hexadecimal - state it.
          I get the feeling he is just throwing stuff out there to emphasize some form of knowledge (ex monster_demon1). I've done that before and I remember how I felt when I felt it was necessary to do it. We all have low points coupled with disappointment and possibly depression.

aside: I wonder if he would have used 0x10 for 8
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• eh the usual bitching.
            My Avatars!
            Quake Leagues
            Quake 1.5!!!
            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

• Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              Wow H1CC, I love to read, but that seemed like some kind of strange one-sided therapy session. ?I hope you feel better soon?. I'm with R00k, I got about 1/3rd of the way and mentally fell asleep.

Not tryin to hate, but it seems like a waste of time to write so much if no one is willing to read it. I've written QC mods with far less characters than that. Maybe, you should focus that energy on a project.
              No one have red this MadGiver (imagine it) BUT it was useful for you in a way... communication is not focus on the one listening/reading in reality... it is 1st very necessary/useful for yourself to "better" understand your very own idea (think when you listening your GF talking and talking and talking hehe).

Well then if some other people can "understand/endure" what you saying... cool (but in my experience R00k and you are right... people don't have the time/patience/capacity/nameit)!

Comment

• That whole 'long-ass post' of mine was addressed solely to capnbubs and meant only for him to read...
                I use hexadecimal for lists (regards to R00k) because hexadecimal is far superior to decimal for indexing.
                And, no, I was not bein' therapeutic to myself expressing my frustrations to capnbubs or otherwise reflecting some sort of intelletcual depression (as MadGypsy suspected).
                I was merely congratulating him in a more humorously self-deprecative manner... I'm really just glad to see him do the work he's doin' and wanted to congratulate him but didn't want to be giving him the same sort of praise he was already getting from others dammit... and I guess that didn't come across as well due to the disparage in understanding of longer writing styles (as mankrip pointed out)...

I just make far longer posts than most are willing to go to the trouble of actually reading and I don't see why it has to be such a big problem.
                If anyone else wants to read my 'longer posts' that's fine but bear in mind oftentimes they are only meant specifically for one other person in a thread.

Don't want to read it? Fine, move on, continue to the next posts. Big whoop.
                Putting off that I am doing something wrong to post the way that I do is only going make yourself wind up having even more reading material to cover as I go on and respond to that as well... and
                considering your goal is to get shorter posts from me... then
                how is that logical?
                I have far more reason to write forum posts the way that I do than you have to ridicule me for doing so and I'm working on ways to be less adversely affected by others ridiculing me for it...
                So just DON'T come back and say I wrote it way too long for others to read...
                trying to explain things to me like you think you have so much better of an understanding of these same issues than I myself do...
                mocking me with 'false quotes', forum macros, underhanded troll tactics...

Believe me, more rational/reasonable individuals than you have tried the same on other forums, and I can show a lot of the raw .htm files to anyone who's interested in 'logs' to back this up...
                At any rate it only makes you look dumb... not me... to go out of your way to respond to a longer forum post just to say 'nobody is gonna read what you write until you write less at once' etc. so STOP TRYING.

However I DID get my questions answered one by one and I thank you for that capnbubs.
                Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the Scrag/Wizard after the Ogre...

Comment

• Yeah!!!!!

Comment

• Back on topic...

I can't wait to see how the completed ogre will turn out. Its preview was awesome, and had pretty much all the detailing I could ask for.

The scrag is a pretty simple character to model, so there isn't much to improve on it. But the fiend's head has some good room for improvement, and I also can't wait to see how the shambler will turn out.

Giving the fiend a real mouth could be interesting, so he would be able to open it when jumping at the player.
                    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                    ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                    Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by mankrip View Post
                      Giving the fiend a real mouth could be interesting
                      The shambler too C:

H1CC, I quite like reading long posts in regards to my work, I appreciate that you took the time to make it so exhaustive.

Comment

• War will be declared when the fiends have or do not have eyes, when Shamblers have or do not have fur (and apparently the type of fur is debatable as well).
                        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

• Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                          War will be declared when the fiends have or do not have eyes, when Shamblers have or do not have fur (and apparently the type of fur is debatable as well).
                          planning to give Fiends eyes (because they have eyes on the skin) and Shamblers fur because that is how I have always thought they looked and is apparently what was originally intended.

Comment

• Hello,

The player model looks really good, nice work

The Ogre is also looking great, with teeth and nice detail.

Cheers,

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by _Smith_ View Post
                              I may be wrong, but I think that updated model is the one on the left and the one with skinny legs is original.
                              You're absolutely right! Maybe I didn't know what I was looking at, maybe I was just on a 72 hour no-sleep spree again at the time but I see what you've done now and I really like it!

The updated models look much better IMO then the original. They stand much nicer and don't look like they should fall over from their unbalanced stance.

Good work!
                              QuakeOne.com
                              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

• Originally posted by H1CC View Post
                                That whole 'long-ass post' of mine was addressed solely to capnbubs and meant only for him to read...
                                I use hexadecimal for lists (regards to R00k) because hexadecimal is far superior to decimal for indexing.
                                And, no, I was not bein' therapeutic to myself expressing my frustrations to capnbubs or otherwise reflecting some sort of intelletcual depression (as MadGypsy suspected).
                                I was merely congratulating him in a more humorously self-deprecative manner... I'm really just glad to see him do the work he's doin' and wanted to congratulate him but didn't want to be giving him the same sort of praise he was already getting from others dammit... and I guess that didn't come across as well due to the disparage in understanding of longer writing styles (as mankrip pointed out)...
                                I think you underestimate how good/hard (the positive) is the exercice... and can still see you doing the effort (cause hey we won't get your point with a long idea like this but the important is that YOU, at least, get it).

Comment

Working...
                                X