Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
    Model and rigging all done.

Finally ready to start animating this guy.

Heck yeah! Looks great bubs! Looks like you've not actually updated the texture yet which means this is going to look even more awesome than it currently does! Can't wait to kill this mofo! (plus this is the most common enemy in the game so there will be plenty of opportunity to frag him )

Comment

• Awesome job!, the only problem i have with it is that it has way too small upperback and the arms doesn't really seem to match the body ratio. Remember, Orges are very muscled creatures which means big proportions.

Comment

• cool ogre.

Comment

• I like this ogre too.... Good work capnbubs.
          The texture is a bit rough.

And i LIKE your avatar Soosel

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzz View Post
            Awesome job!, the only problem i have with it is that it has way too small upperback and the arms doesn't really seem to match the body ratio. Remember, Orges are very muscled creatures which means big proportions.
            I might thicken the arms up a bit, the proportions are based on the original Ogre. I think the reason the upper back looks small is because the ogre has no neck to begin with and in that pose he is lifting his shoulders up, compounding the effect. He looks very faithful to the original when posed the same.

Originally posted by webangel View Post
            I like this ogre too.... Good work capnbubs.
            The texture is a bit rough.
            I haven't redone the texture yet, but this texture is going to need more work than the others!

Comment

• I just looked at all the images real hard and scrutinitical-like

This is what I saw:

Rangers back pockets are too pronounced. Maybe just softening the dark outline a little will solve this.

The dark stripes on the dogs back look "out of place" (to me). I really stared at that for a long time. I was even trying to see it as if it was perfect. No matter what, it kept standing out as awkward.

That's it. I didn't put the ogre under a microscope because you haven't declared it finished. I didn't see anything on the grunt.

Just to be clear.. I think you are the man and your work is killer. I looked at your images with the intention of finding something that I believed to be "wrong". I only found 2 things...and I might be wrong.
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM.
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• To me, the back pockets are fine.

The ogre's grenade launcher looks like they could use more detailing. But I haven't seem it from the side, so I can't be sure. And the connection between the chainsaw and the ogre's arm looks a bit distorted. But, again, this is just a single point of view of a single frame, so I can't be sure.

I can't wait to see this ogre in game.
                Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• You don't think it kinda looks like his back pockets are grabbing his buns? That's the best way I can describe it, like his pockets are really solid and squeezing his butt like a hand. I realize that the grunt has the same pockets, but the contrast is different and it doesn't have the same effect.

Comment

• I won't comment on the orge because we see only one pose and he is unfinished. I would rather wait to judge that work. I do like what I see and what you have of the orge skin done so far as it matches Quake assets nicely. I could imagine that texture would need work considering how stretched out the origin mdl/skin was to begin with.

I, like most players I would guess tend not to stare at the Rangers ass when "playing" quake so I haven't noticed anything weird before this. I setup chase cam mode in a way I would never play quake just for the purpose of checking out Ranger's buttocks. What I noticed as always MDL's jiggle even when your not moving and I suppose one could interpret the pocket jiggling as "squeezing" but its a stretch! The outline around where the pocket connects to the pants might, "MIGHT?" be a bit too thick or dark, but looks just fine to me as someone who plays the game in 1st person view. I would agree with MadGypsy if anyone was bothered by it they could just make a new skin texture and try softening the dark outline a little themselves.

Your dog model is one of my favorites being a Rottie owner and I "tried" to remodel that myself a few years ago. I find the skin great and again matching the original Quake assets nicely. I'm not seeing the "lines" that where mentioned, but I like how you added slight body contour lines and muscle shading in the skin. Its a very nice touch that looks great in game as well.

I just want to say I LOVE your work. You really "recaptured" Quake with these models. Hard to describe, but when I'm playing using them and don't notice anything out of place, but do notice the improvement at the same time!? That a compliment to you. Thank you MUCH.

Comment

• Oh, I wasn't studying the models in game. I was looking at the images in the original post. You can see the stripes well in this image

Comment

• The ranger's pockets are most likely full of ammo, runes and the other stuff he carries (except the guns), so it makes sense for them to be pronounced. Softening the top of the outline could make some sense though, since it usually receives more light, but I don't think it's too necessary.
                        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                        ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                        Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• ..HA! "The ranger's pockets are most likely full of ammo.." That very same thought crossed my mind as well. You will hardly see them any way "playing" the game.

Comment

• I guess to be clear I should say that I'm not implying that the 2 lil things I saw are critical and the models are ruined until they are "fixed" (or anything even remotely as dramatic). I was just pointing out things that I believe could be tweaked for the better, based on the original images.

I am not "nit-picking", I was bored and somehow ended up staring at his images. I think Capnbubs models are awesome. So much so that they have inspired me to do a lil summin summin that I don't intend to share right now, cause I don't even know if I will ever finish. However, it doesn't even matter if I ever finish, cause the point is that his work has inspired me to create something of my own. That's probably the highest form of compliment, right there.

Comment

• Reforged skins

I remember someone posted that these models work with Reforged skins. But here's what I got...
                              Attached Files
                              MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• @hg

that was an old version of the grunt model from bubs, that worked with skins for ID1 model.
                                after that capnbubs made more changes to the model like remapping it and adding more details to it

newer version is remapped to fix all stretchings and with a re-done texture, so it doesnt work with textures made for ID1 model.

TM said its possible to crossbake the textures though. but i have no clue how to do that, otherwise i wouldve gladly done that
                                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                                X