No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know noone asked me to, but I gave it a shot at reskining this model: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bjoqg..._head.zip/file

pic: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8a...vg8mgzeizg.jpg

its not perfect, I know. I wanted a smoother transition between the gore and the flesh, but in my defence this model/skin is a bit of a bast to work on for some reason... I found adding more gore to 'edges' obscured too much face detail and was a nightmare to get it to match along the front/back "seam". its quite skewy and stretchy in there so I had to compromise a bit to get it to look anything at all...
    I think its the odd skin size. with resizing and upscaling affecting the look of the resolution and consistancy of the whole thing.
    why not just use a smaller skin? i dunno. I would have...

so I simply worked small and then 'cleanly' scaled it up.
    this way, the res of skin on this head matches the res of the skin on the scrag model. to a fashion. which is much better.

so this is +/- the best I can manage on this'un.
    model is still miles better than the vanilla model by a long shot... and Its got the classic bloody left-eye as it should have, thats got to count for something.
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 12-21-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Not asked, but hoped for it. Yepp, that's pretty much it. Finally that missing part is done, too!
      All this might just be enough to justify another release before the holidays.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• I redid the uv map on the wizard head to get a cleaner skin. hwizard2.zip

I've not messed with classic MDL's and PAK files since Q1 came out originally, otherwise I'd test it in game. I've got a pak explorer and copy of qME.

EDIT: So, does the game automatically upscale the texture to the original size?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tea Monster; 12-21-2020, 10:26 AM. Reason: read about the size issue.

Comment

• Ingame, the skin looks too blurry. It has to be 256x256, apparently - otherwise it's missing the pixellated look, even without texture filtering.

This is a totally new skin again, so OSJ needs to apply his magic once more.
          Last edited by NightFright; 12-21-2020, 11:01 AM.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• If OSJ has fixed the old one to work, then I don't mind you using that one. If it would be better, I can use the original artwork skin.

EDIT: Like this:
            Last edited by Tea Monster; 12-21-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Is there even any visual difference between the old model and the new one ingame?

Since Chillo already didn't use the id1 skin, no need to do it here, either, I guess.
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Use whichever one you prefer.
                Capture.JPG
                h_wizard2.zip
                Attached Files

Comment

• well regardless Ive reskinned the second version anyhow as I liked how the skin fits the model nicer and allows for that gore-transition visual I was going for. plus the eyes fit into the sockets neater and all-in-all its mapped better.

HERE: https://www.mediafire.com/file/n2pl7...ad_v2.zip/file
                  is my skin for v2.

enjoy!

pic for those just passin' by: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/86...1tz7kv1qzg.jpg

Comment

• I guess we'll go with the second version, then. Good work, everybody!
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• The last release for this year is finished and has been kicked out of the door. Thanks a lot to osj and Tea Monster who contributed and made this possible. Hopefully, Tea's Shub will be added next (after it's finished and has been reviewed, ofc).

CHANGELOG Rev. #22
                      > Added: [ID1] Scrag head gibs (h_wizard) by Tea Monster/Chillo/osj
                      > Update: Progs.dat refresh
                      [ID1] Frikbot support removed
                      [HIP] Nextthink AI update (misc.qc, zombie.qc)
                      [ROG] Nextthink AI update (dragon.qc, misc.qc, mummy.qc, tarbaby.qc, zombie.qc)
                      > Update: [ID1] Super Shotgun (Dwere) reskin by osjclatchford
                      > Update: [ID1] [ROG] (Multi-Grenade) Ogre (Chillo) skin adjustments by osjclatchford

Download on Github
                      Visit the project on ModDB
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• cool! nice to see its getting real close to complete!

while we're on the subject, I'd like to ask of teamonster quite a bit of a favour.
                        As you've proven that editing other's models seems to be quite easy for you (your rapid work of a scrag head, made from chillo's scrag model let alone the fabulous job you're doing of the oldone.mdl...) I wonder if you'd be able to fix another chillo monster thats bugging nightfright and I?
                        the vore/shalrath currently in use in the pack has some rather unneeded titties sculpted on its chest. I made a skin to hide this somewhat but seeing what you've done with such ease already, I wondered if you'd be able to edit the model and its frames so this undesired 3D detail was gone from the model? essentially de-feminising the vore permanently! LOL
                        this way the model and skin would make much more sense...

just a thought... willing quake modelers are rare as rockinghorse-shit these days. so I figured I should ask

Comment

• There's actually more on the wishlist which should probably be doable for a versatile modelling/skin artist.

An overview of the stuff that wouldn't require any modelling from scratch:
                          1) ID1: Vore (shalrath.mdl): Remove titties instead of "cheap" skin trick
                          2) DoE:
                          - Minotaur Statue (hknight.mdl/h_hellkn.mdl): It's identical to the id1 Death Knight (done by Chillo), but with different skin (Minotaur stone statue)
                          - Zombie (zombie.mdl): Special edition of the id1 zombie (done by Chillo) with 10 extra frames in animation "cruc_" for the zombie to detach from its cross
                          - Mummy (mummy.mdl): Basically the id1 zombie with different skin (bandages)
                          - Lava Man (lavaman.mdl): Chthon, just smaller
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• To be honest, I'm loathe to mess with another artists work without their signing off on it.

Having said that, I don't mind looking into texture issues for you. I can't promise any timeframe as I have my own projects on the go at the minute. Duke modelling is dead and I fancied some quaking and shaking as a refreshing change of pace.

Can either of you suggest how to change the skin on an MDL model? I've used the change skin button on qME and get what appear to be vertex colours instead of the skin.

Dropbox link for the mdl file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4makoj4oh...e_mdl.zip?dl=0
                            spasm0002.png

Comment

• I don't know much about creating skins, but existing ones I usually rip with the Quake Model Viewer (q1mv) as BMPs. Editing is done with GIMP since it keeps the palette.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• There is a skin in the dropbox file. I just can't get qME to apply it.

Comment

Working...
                                X