No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOLs its a lot of stuff in there to keep track of it all. I couldnt remember either so I simply figured, re-download the pack.

been on the prowl, model hunting again and found an old gem(?)
    not sure if you know of these:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/egsui...bolts.zip/file
    chillo made these higher poly lightning bolts (for the thunderbolt, shambler and chthon's pylons) a while back that are a slightly different take on the originals.
    Im personally not 100% sold on these tbh as I feel they differ a lot from the very cheesey-cartoon-spikey originals (which is one of the things that spark my nostalgia nodes)
    but I thought I'd share then nonetheless. just in case you like them and have missed them when they were first released. they were in a copy of one of his old packs and i'm not sure if they are still in the latest. Ive not seen anyone mention of them till now and if they are unwanted, so be it but its an alternative set of models for passers by nonetheless...

Comment

• I have taken a look at all of Chillo's models he has released until now. Anything I considered useful is in the pack. The Thunderbolt projectile just doesn't look right to me, so I left it the way it was. Also one of the cases where less is sometimes more.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• good minds think alike on that case then. but thought I'd check nonetheless.
        also, being abit of an idiot, I failed to notice that the chillo flame twitter post i linked in a few posts back has a link to the filein one of the replies!

I downloaded it and it has the flame2 and flame1 (torch with handle) fully implemented yet these are not in his latest pack! crazy!
        anyway the torch had some mosterously bad texturemapping issues that Ive since fixed and both flame1 and flame2 alternate mid-poly models can be found here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/unr31...c_fix.zip/file

pic of the 'fixed' torch for the curious: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9e...i3jsiikbzg.jpg

Funny, as much as I agree with Nightfright regarding disliking the lightning from chillo, these flame models I feel are a great improvement over the original. odd how similar work from the same artist can yield such an opposing views from the same eyes looking at it! LOL

*edit*
        writing this now, I realise you, too, all might have found the link to the file on chillo's twitter thread that I had missed, making this statement:

I have taken a look at all of Chillo's models he has released until now. Anything I considered useful is in the pack. The Thunderbolt projectile just doesn't look right to me, so I left it the way it was. Also one of the cases where less is sometimes more.

even more relevant and me more of an idiot.

So I just hope you've not already seen these and thus dismissed them already, then Id feel like a bit of a bell-end for posting them at all. but as I have altered the skin on flame1.mdl I suppose it makes it worth sharing?

if wanted in the pack, and unless I'm mistaken, that rounds out id1 model replacement with the exception of the spawn. (the "fixed" rotfish" is more than good enough imho) and the spawn is indeed not exactly something that warrants any work changing. the model is good at showing what it is, coupled by its lightning fast speed and dark placement. the only time it is seen upclose is with the ring of shadows on and even then it is supposed to be an amorphous blob of undifined glop with malicous intent. so yeah. thats us done on id1? (unless suitable 3rd party replacements occur?)

but what say you, NF?
        Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-18-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• We are still kinda missing a remake of the Double Shotgun world model (g_shot.mdl), if that's actually needed. Other than that, we are done with ID1, indeed.

I am now waiting for TM's take on the addon models, provided he can come up with anything, then it's time for another release. After that, I think there won't be anything for a really long time - unless TM is on a modelling spree and wants to single-handedly take on all the pending addon models all by himself. Wouldn't object to that, but well... xD

As for the torches, I guess there was something I didn't see. We also had some others in the pack already, don't ask me where they came from and which visible advantage they had over the originals...

--------------

A comprehensive to-do list for the addons would look as follows (only listing those models that would really profit from a remake):

Original Quake:
          - Vore: remove titties from existing replacement and add idle animation

Scourge of Armagon:
          - Player: Player with Mjolnir (playham.mdl) *
          - Enemies: Centroid (scor.mdl), Gremlin (grem.mdl/h_grem.mdl)
          - Boss: Armagon (armabody.mdl/armalegs.mdl)
          - Items: Empathy Shield (empathy.mdl)

Dissolution of Eternity:
          - Player: Player with CTF skin (player.mdl) *
          - Enemies: Minotaur statue (hknight.mdl/h_hellkn.mdl)**, Wrath (wrath.mdl/wrthgib1-3.mdl), Zombie (zombie.mdl)**
          - Bosses: Guardians (morph_az.mdl/morph_eg.mdl/morph_gr.mdl)***, Hephaestus (lavaman.mdl) ****, Mummy (mummy.mdl)**, Overlord (s_wrath.mdl/s_wrtgb1-3.mdl)
          - Items: Plasma Cell (b_plas0.bsp/b_plas1.bsp)

Notes:
          * Both SoA and DoE player models should be based on capnbubs' latest model
          ** DoE's Minotaur Statue, Mummy and Zombie should be based on existing remakes. Zombie has additional frames #198-207 in animation "cruc_"
          *** DoE's Guardians are basically sharing the same model, just using different skins (AFAIK)
          **** DoE's Hephaestus is kind of a miniature version of Chthon

Should ALL of this get done due to a freakin' miracle one day, we can actually retire the project for good, LOL! I am really surprised we came this far without capnbubs. Chillo somehow gave a fresh impulse and we somehow improvised the rest so far.
          Last edited by NightFright; 01-26-2021, 08:11 AM.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Yeah, TM is a godsend to this project. I must just take this opportunity to say a huge thanks to Teamonster for his contributions to this so far.
            His models have allowed us to hope for more than just relying on bits and bobs scavanged from here and there with a few minor edits and new skins from me on them.
            don't wanna jinx it but based on how dead the duke3d scene is and the absolute awesome success he's had remodelling shub and the keycards, the enviro and wet suits and the apparent ease he's had altering existing models, like the scrag. I'd say he must be having a good time at it!
            lets hope he's enjoying it enough to continue.
            I know I am.
            Im really surprised how much I've learnt in such a short time doing work for this project. and, dispite how egotistical it may sound, I think it shows in in the work ive done more recently. luckily Im an obbsessive compulsive, and with things like this (well, in all things tbh) I tend to get really passionate about a project and don't let up untill Ive exhausted all means and options within my skillset and existing knowledge.

the torches you have been previously using match those in the 'debugged' model pack so perhaps thats where you got them from originally?

as for the supershotgun pick-up remodel.
            you've already got one. deware's one if I'm not mistaken. (*edit* just checked it. it is. it has the little doodle on the skin that always makes me laugh, recognise that anywhere)

the file g_shot2.mdl doesnt and never has existed in id1.
            g_shot.mdl IS the supershotgun world model.

the single-shotgun has no world model (outside of ad anyway) so the guys at id named the supershotgun world model g_shot.mdl not g_shot2.mdl because as far as they were concerned, its the [i]only[/] shotgun world model.
            confusing? yes.
            but kinda logical? I suppose...

I personally would have named it g_shot2.mdl so its clear it goes with v_shot2.mdl not with v_shot.mdl... a bit of a mess if you ask me...
            Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-18-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Does dwere's g_shot have any visible improvements like higher poly count or is it just the reskinned id1 model? I know his HUD model kinda sucked, so we don't need anything fitting to that...
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• essentially, improved detail and poly.
                better muzzle and recievers on the barrels, improved stock texmap, better form to the pistolgrip and trigger/triggerguard. thus, all round neater appearance...

as can be seen in this pic: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ce...qhy18gapzg.jpg

quite an improvement, but likewise very faithful. this is whats currently in the pack.

However, just FYI, I use this model.
                pic: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/57...eplz0dtczg.jpg
                (I've brightened the pic in post, so you can see it better, its not really that washed out, LOL)
                also by deware, and used in ad, but it uses a custom skin Ive made for it.
                my skin ditches the bluey tones on the barrels and adds some brown, reflection to the lower edges, as on the v_model...

heres a file with it in: https://www.mediafire.com/file/q0bzg...ickup.zip/file
                as you can see, as nice as it may be, its quite a departure from the original id1 model, so i figured you'd stick to what you're currently using as its pretty good.
                I love this alternative one it but I'm not sure its not really 100% authentic...
                theres some lovely added detail to the grip on this model.
                there's just something real satisfying about that winchester reload mechanism on the triggerguard/grip that makes sense of the way the ssg has always reloaded in-game without a pump or manual shell inserting anim (like doom) that makes me love it even more.
                one of those "once i'd seen it, i'll never go back" moments for me.

*edit*
                did you really not like the v_shot2.mdl he did?
                I love it!
                In fact I prefer its original skin even more to the skin I made for it, even though mine is more faithful, and as such better for the pack, I use his original.
                thats the beauty of having so many options out there. anyone can pick and choose their personal faves... but I do agree, this pack should be the go-to for truly faithful remakes.
                Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Glad I can help with the game a bit. Yeah, Duke is dead at the moment - modelling wise anyway. I was between projects, so I'll help out here and there, but probably not in that sort of burst of polygons.

That shotty is lovely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                    Glad I can help with the game a bit. Yeah, Duke is dead at the moment - modelling wise anyway. I was between projects, so I'll help out here and there, but probably not in that sort of burst of polygons.

well, we'll take what we can get. Ive enjoyed working on skins for your lovely models, looking forward to doing more of the same!

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                    That shotty is lovely.

yep, shes a beaut' ain't she.
                    I Fell in love at first sight and just had to have it.
                    At first I was just playing about to see If I could go for a greyscale instead of blue in the quake pallete but found I needed a mix of the two in just the right balance.
                    the brown/reflection was a last minute addition which I took the idea from the quake2 world models which all +/- have brown reflections on the bottom edge. I tried It out here and found it to be just as appropriate for quake1 as quake2.
                    on the view model the brown on the underside of the barrel is reflection of the stock I suppose but on the world model I'd say its reflecting the world enviroment. most of quake is pretty brown so it works...

Comment

• That is really nice pixel art on that skin. Very good job.

I had an hour tonight so did this. One is much smoother, the other probably more authentic.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Tough choice. I would say go for the 742 poly version, the other one looks "too good" for this project probably (never thought I would ever write that, lol). However, don't throw the other away, I guess it can still be used in different ways.
                        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I utterly concur. the 742 poly model indeed looks ideal for this project. the other 1120 version is nice for an alternative high-end model-pack though so worth keeping aside as NF says. Talisa could happily add that to the high-res content list, I'm sure...

god, seeing the original without it's skin, I never realised how shyte the original model is! shows how effective a good skin is on a low-end model I suppose.

will this new model be using the original skin too? looking, now at how its mapped on the original, it should be ideal, no?

Comment

• Just got a copy of doa (mp2) not played it but got it look at the outstanding models/skins wanted.
                            I noticed the lavanail (lspike.mdl) skin you have currently differs in tone vastly from the original. as such Ive made a new skin to match nicer:
                            https://www.mediafire.com/file/p87m0...ANAIL.zip/file
                            clearly based on deware's nail model/skin, it uses all the fullbright oranges so it should be just like the original. just matches th eother nails in form. AFAIK, anyhow. just let me know...
                            oh, yeah, pic: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0c...aryudbq2zg.jpg

Comment

• Yeah, my lava nail skin sucked pretty hard. It was basically a placeholder since I didn't want to see the lava nailguns shoot orange triangles any more, lol. Yours are ofc ways better and will hopefully make my poor attempt fade into oblivion quickly...
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• well, dont be too hard on yourself.
                                funny thing with the lava-nails, Ive imagined them to be be not actual lava, but rgular nails that are superheated via an electrical charge within the nailgin's chamber prior to firing, and glow read hot, subsequently doing more damage to fleshy enemies a lot like the 'civillian' crossbow bolts from hl2, which are heated in a similar way. (However, they'd be useless on hard stuff like metal armour or stone as the hot-nails would simply squinge like putty)
                                as such you'r lavanails look a better match for this description. they look like one of deware's nails thats been insanely heated up and is glowing madly.
                                The only real benefit of my skin is that it matches the original skin in tone which is ideal for the project but I personally like you'rs more for said reasons...

Comment

Working...
                                X