No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it's pretty dead here. What happened to everyone?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• yup. the forum died a death a while back and this replacement forum came too late for those that had given quakeone.com up for dead. only a few of us old-guard left these days.
      plus its buggy as shit. oftimes It wont let me log in without warning. logs me off mid post. wont show images properly. and thats just the nice issues. yeah its kinda jank, but where else can I do quake, shit man? where else would I, even?

oh and that horn, m'wa! love it! no dl-able file yet?

Comment

• I heard that there was a discord, but it's only for multiplayer hookups, no modding content, which is a shame. That is where things seem to be going. There is Quaddicted, but I don't know if it's a proper community or just a repository website.

Maybe creating a modding discord and putting the word around? The only problem with discord channels is that they tend to create a lot of off-topic chatter. The problem is that Dark places hasn't done anything for a better part of a decade. The Wrath team are putting in some updates, but I don't think it's aimed at next-gen renderer stuff. I don't think that any of the new source ports support normal and spec maps, which is going to sideline a lot of cool new content. I could set one up if you like.

I remember coming back one day a few years ago and quakeone was offline. I think I checked by chance and found that it was back up. No mention anywhere about it's return. It's a shame. Quake should have more of a presence online.

I'm still tweaking the UV maps on the horn.

Comment

• That horn is amazing. It seems like a simple model, but surely a lot of work had to be put into it.

Regarding Quake communication, I only know of Func_Msgboard besides this one. Maybe there's some chatting going on over at the Quaddicted forums as well, but it's not much more than here. It's usually a couple of users and you quickly know them all since you rarely see a post from anyone besides the usual suspects.
          No clue who is currently running the show here, but the forum could use some more moderation, especially since nasty spam bots keep popping up in half-dead forums like this one, knowing their posts stay for a while before getting removed.

My upload of the model pack on ModDB helped to draw some attention to this project, but it's still nowhere near decent. I don't doubt people want to see Quake stuff, but for some reason it's falling into the nerdy category for many out there, for whatever reason.

Maybe forums are just becoming relicts of the past and the future belongs to Discord, who knows.
          Authentic Models Pack
          OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
          LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• not actually a member of quaddicted but minly for the reason you've stated. it too seems to me to be a repository rather than a typical forum where on-topic chat occurs.

not ashamed to say that I have no idea what a discord even is. nor do I have any real desire to, like my views on chatrooms, facebook, twitter, instagram or any other of these instant-fix-informaton-inundaters. dont need it or want it so I'm more than happy in blissful ignorance.

I like forums because you can take your time to write what you want to, no time pressure or people hanging around waiting for your response. everyone these days has absolutely no patience whatsoever. take those that dl mods: If I had a nickel for every c*cksucker that commented on my mods asking how something works or why something does something unexpected and if it will work with brutal whatever, ARGH, I'd be a millionaire by now!
            "read the damn redme file thats in the dl, look at the instuctions on the frontpage of the modDB page you're getting it from and THEN ask you stupid questions."
            I dont get it.
            games like doom, duke3d, quake and the like of that era had instruction manuals and readme's as did their mission packs. thats why my mods for classic games do too, yet still...
            I guess its the generation gap thing, then, why would someone not of that generation want to even play the mod? and why would someone who is of that generation be like that?
            I dunno it seems there is an entire group of attention-deficit-disorder drop-outs who cant spend the 20 seconds it takes to read instructions, or even know what an FAQ is.
            "oh, no I cant waste time looking at that, i might miss out on something on instagram and then be two seconds behind on what is the current meme/trend and have to killmyself for being out of fashion"
            and the aforementioned platforms seem to breed and encourage that kind of behaviour as far as I can see... I guess that what mekes them money I suppose...

ok thats one hell of a rant but its got it off my chest at least.

I've definately been at home alone too long...

...so what the hell is a discord then? LOL

Comment

• I actually find doing these models relaxing. It's just pushing vertices around. No baking, or any other highly technical stuff.

Has anyone put out the word that Quakeone is back up? I've seen that some of the older crew have turned up like Talisa, but they don't seem to frequent the modding sections at all.

Discord is much easier to set up than a dedicated web space. You don't need to pay for a domain name, web hosting space, traffic fees or any of that. The main downside is that it's all on Discord's servers. I love the convenience, but on the other hand, I'm just waiting for the day that we wake up and they've been bought out by AOL or Facebook and the party is well and truly over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                I actually find doing these models relaxing. It's just pushing vertices around. No baking, or any other highly technical stuff.
                yeah, alright, mr wizard! theres no 'just' about any of what you've been doing as far as I can see! modelling is a special kind of dark magic that makes my mind go and cry in the corner...
                still I'm sure with the right software 'tools' it becomes easier the more you do. like anything really.

but for me its like me and code. Never. going. to. happen.

its like homer when the exposition starts and the voice in my head starts singing some 70's tune on loop and thats it for taking on any info. (talk about attention deficit eh?) but no. I think sometimes you take to stuff, othertimes not. the interest to learn has to be there.
                I never thought I'd understand zdoom's decorate code, but years on I'm reasonable profficent at getting it to do pretty much anything I want it to... within reason...

thats why I stick to flat art like sprites and textures/skins. that was not exactly an overnight thing either. chalk that up to lots of late nights with mspaint back in the nineties...

and its funny 'cause models really, really are my thing, just not graphical ones:
                https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...st/776725.page
                https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...st/776520.page
                https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...st/790234.page
                https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...st/795108.page
                LOLS

...far, FAR to much time alone...

Comment

• I used to paint lead figures professionally! The guy who got me into PCs and game modding, Oilov Cloves, originally was really into tabletop wargaming. I used to travel to Burton upon Trent every Wednesday evening for a gaming night. We'd occasionally play table top wargames like 'Gaslands' and 'Hordes of the Things'. He's mucho into space games as well. I was into graphic arts and publishing (worked in a few newspapers and co-ran a small press magazine called 'Thermal Lance'). I was fascinated by 3D graphics, especially Pixar films. I swore I was going to make my own little film. For years I told myself I'd get into 3D. When Quake II came out, I started messing with Skin Ed and made my own Duke Nukem Quake II skin.

Those 40K ships look amazing!

I am plotting with my Son to obtain a 3D printer so I can print out an army of Duke and Quake critters to fill up my shelves.

Discord is like a web forum page, but it's on a private server. You need an invite (you can declare an open invite as long as the person has a discord login. You have a channel, like "My Big Project" and you can have sub-channels that focus on off-topic chatter, modelling, artwork, whatever your fancy decides. In that way, it's much like a combination of facebook and a standard web forum. It's much more immediate. It's sometimes difficult on a popular server to go away for a week and then come back and not be hopeless lost in the past. It's also not possible to create your own channel (here it would be a thread) for your own project. Everything gets lumped together. It also tends to invite a lot more 'idle chatter'
                  Last edited by Tea Monster; 01-22-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Here is the horn. I am having some issues where the texture in Blender dosen't have visible seams, but something is happening between where the model is in Blender and where it is exported where it appears to have seam artifacts in QME. I've included the skin if you want to have a look. If you find out what's wrong, let me know and either I'll fix it or know next time what to look for.

As per earlier models, I've not tested for fullbright pixels.

Hornupscale_tm.zip

Attached Files
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• tried it in-game. its hot shit man!
                      no artifacts in quakespasm in the levels, they just seem to be visible in qme.
                      cant speak for other engines but its damn fine work.
                      this upscaled skin is better than the others. less blurry and more faithfull tot he original content but mapped much better. the way the striations meet up properly is nice. just missing the rotate flag but thats nothing anyof us cant do. excellent all round.
                      just one question. how come your skins are all squished/sqaushed aspect ratio. is it because its got to be square in blender or something else?
                      for example, this skin the original model's one was 308/174 but yours is 256/256... just curious is all...

Comment

• After this horn we gotta chain you to these forums. Just when we thought we were about to hit a dead end, you pop up and dish out this tasty stuff.

Please tell me you aren't done with Quake models yet. There is a lot left on the to-do list for you! Eternal fame and neverending glory await you as rewards!
                        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Thanks!

Blender exports the skin within the MDL file. It must square it out during export of the MDL file. I import the original MDL file. The skin comes in as it's normal dimensions. I AI upscale it, which just ups it by 2 or 4x. Then I import the skin into Blender. In Blender, I do some paintover magic to get the skin to match over the UV joins and then export. Blender must square off the image when it exports it, which is frankly weird. I included the image I was using in the zip file, which is 616 x 348 (2x). If you wish, replace the one that Blender outputs with the one I included separately. It may be that a lot of engines require power of 2 (16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc.), but I know that Quake uses all sorts of strange sizes, so I don't know why the exporter programmer made it do that.

EDIT: LOL NightFright! I'm probably not going to be near as prolific, but I enjoy doing these models. I have a shambler that I may finish and the knight, but I think there are quite a few shamblers around already. What's on the to-do list?

EDIT 2: I wonder if the squaring off of the image might be causing some texture distortion? Might be worth trying to swap the image with the separate, properly sized one and see if it looks any better.
                          Last edited by Tea Monster; 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• I wonder if the squaring off of the image might be causing some texture distortion? Might be worth trying to swap the image with the separate, properly sized one and see if it looks any better.

not possible in qme. AFAIK
                            doing so simply automatically changes what you import to match the dimensions of whatever the current skin is.

gah, dimensions aside it matters not on this'un. its a phenomenal improvement to the original and works fine in-game. its pretty bangin'...

Comment

• I actually mentioned the to-do list pretty much in post #769. We can consider ID1 done, even though the Tarbaby and Rotfish are theoretically still on the table, but higher poly count won't make a big difference with those.

DoE's Anti-Grav Belt would probably be the next logical choice. Similar to the Ring of Shadows, it's about making its shape rounder. There aren't that many in the game, but it doesn't mean it's less important because of that.
                              Last edited by NightFright; 01-22-2021, 11:05 AM.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Cheers!

Have there been any improvements in editing Quake tech in the last 20 years or so? I'm using:

Blender 2.76 - Modelling and texture painting. I use this version as there is a working MDL importer/exporter for this version. I'll have to see if there is anything newer out there. All the keys are backwards in 2.76 to the new 2.8/9X Blender.
                                Photoshop CS 6 - basic image editing and palette shifting. I understand that PSP works better for this, but not tried it and don't have a copy.
                                QME 3.1 - testing MDL files.
                                Pakscape - PAK editing.
                                Noesis - File conversion.

Kinda depressing to see an awful lot of original tools in that list.

I was heartbroken to find that NPherno's Skin Tool doesn't work with MDL files.

EDIT: NightFright - Ahh, I see you edited the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X