No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually nothing osj pointed out was on that list. Nobody had the balls to redo any of those models until now.

I think that list of tools is pretty up-to-date. Slade can actually handle .pak format as well, besides Doom's .wad and Duke 3D's .grp. I am still using Pakscape by myself, though - even if adding files is a bit painful.

I dunno how you can edit bsp models, but somehow I managed to change the center points of the remodelled id1 pickups, just don't ask me how, lol.
    Last edited by NightFright; 01-22-2021, 11:15 AM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• yeah, probably said this before, but perhaps its relevant again now;
      I use pakscape for navigating and making new pak files.
      slade3 (I have this already for wad editing fo doom) to sometimes extract files like pk3 for dp engine mods etc, also use this to check/replace fullbright pixels in skins in the quake pallette.
      I use mspaint (xp version) for most art but will resort to gimp for complicated stuff like pallete restoration or more complex tools that paint cant manage, (nudge/clone/blur etc...)
      I use qme to view and import skins on models and very, very minor model editing.
      thats it really...

its funny, once you get a set of 'tools' and a procedure you know well, you tend to stick with it...

by the way thats news to me about being able to open grp files in slade. never knew that and Ive used it for years. since before SLumpEd became slade... LOL learn something new everyday eh?

also its true, I can't believe how much stuff we got done in just the last week!
      just imagine what we'll acomplish next week eh?

...shit, bet thats fucked it now... thats us jinxed forever knowing my luck of late...

​​​​​​
      Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-22-2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Does the Beltup separate into sections at any time in the game?

Comment

• I am not sure if I understand the question. The model doesn't change, no animations. Just a rotating circle with skin, like the ring.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I'm asking as the ring is actually in two halves, complete with interior faces. I'm loathe to remove an actual feature of the model, even if it isn't used.
            I'm wondering if there is an animation where it breaks up if not used, or if the player dies or it's power expires.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• As far as I can tell, the belt doesn't have a feature like that. If you collect it, gravity is lowered temporarily. You are not visually wearing the belt, though. It's just a powerup like the ring, quad etc as far as I can tell. Eventually it "runs out of power", but that just means you drop back to the ground. Ingame message is "anti-grav is failing" with a sound like it's shutting down, running out of juice. Sure it doesn't have any visual impact.

It does have some blue/white fullbright parts at the front (or is it the back?) and the bottom which indicate some kind of energy field generator or something. Compare with the wiki image.

I never noticed that the belt is not entirely closed, but if it's like that, there is no deeper purpose behind it. To me it always looked like a closed circle, but I need to examine the mdl closely in q1mv.

*UPDATE*
              Yepp, it's definitely closed on both ends. No gap anywhere.
              Last edited by NightFright; 01-23-2021, 06:24 AM.
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Hmmm. I've found a new importer/exporter that works with the latest version of Blender. Yayyy modern Blender! It could have made some liberties on importing it? Weird, and if so, will need to be watched for other tom foolery.

Again, Phredreeke ESRGANed the skin for me. Many thanks!

This is going to need to be looked at for full bright pixels. I've sealed up the gaps and removed the sealed off faces. This exporter has retained the 'rotate' flag, which is nice.
                Link:
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q4yti854i...scale.zip?dl=0
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• its a beut! really nice model and skin man!

Comment

• This one turned out really nice again! The belt buckle turned out to be a bit thicker now, but that happens inevitably if you want to make the surface more articulated. Very faithful, nice poly count, seal of approval given.

Updated the todo list (post #769). The last static models are now the two DoE plasma cells, but they are bsp. After that it's only animated stuff, especially monsters. The bosses might be tempting, especially Armagon which is even a two-part model. After that awesome Shub, I don't doubt it's doable.
                    Last edited by NightFright; 01-23-2021, 08:20 AM.
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Yeah, I wanted to give it a bit of extra dimension.

I've checked the BSP files and they are basically boxes. If I get Phredreeke to ESRGAN the skins, are you happy with that?

Comment

• Well, maybe you could add a few additional edges here or there, similar to the shell or nail boxes which just add small dents.

If you look at this image, I could imagine the shiny white parts to stick out a bit, like small bulbs, also that gray circle part in the front and the top might have more structure as well (red parts could be some sort of wires). A lot can be solved through the skin, so I think you don't need to add a lot of polygons, just a few additional squares might already do if the skin is upscaled as well.

PS: Horn and belt look flawless ingame, no fullbright pixels at all.
                        Last edited by NightFright; 01-23-2021, 09:30 AM.
                        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                          Well, maybe you could add a few additional edges here or there, similar to the shell or nail boxes which just add small dents.

If you look at this image, I could imagine the shiny white parts to stick out a bit, like small bulbs, also that gray circle part in the front and the top might have more structure as well (red parts could be some sort of wires). A lot can be solved through the skin, so I think you don't need to add a lot of polygons, just a few additional squares might already do if the skin is upscaled as well.
                          for the ammo I'd personally avoid upscaling the skin, just stick to more poly on the model. as with the health and ammo we have already.
                          just fear it may begin to look out of place with the other models... with powerups and enemies it seems not to matter too much, depending on how faithfull the skin is. but i'd be happy to be proven wrong on this so, yeah, surpirse me! LOL

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                          PS: Horn and belt look flawless ingame, no fullbright pixels at all.
                          indeed they do.
                          In my experiance its messing with, yellow, orange, red and light blue thats more likely to cause issues with fullbrights...

Comment

• I have reviewed the missing SoA and DoE models and updated the to-do list accordingly.

Changes:
                            - Player model variations added
                            - Empathy Shield (empathy.mdl) back on the list
                            - Props/projectiles added (SoA: lavarock.mdl, proxbomb.mdl / DoE: fireball.mdl)
                            - Removed anything that's either done or not needed

The three props models have very simple geometry (in fact, they are all balls/spheres, just different sizes and textures) and should be easy to do. Maybe even existing models can be edited and reskinned.
                            I now also believe that SoA's Empathy Shield (empathy.mdl) could/should be remade after all with a rounder shape (still not a "OMG original mdl is so fugly, it needs to be remade" case, rather "nice to have").
                            Last edited by NightFright; 01-25-2021, 06:55 AM.
                            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• here are some replacement models for the prox and lavaball projectiles for soa if you want:
                              https://www.mediafire.com/file/iq5pb...dels2.zip/file

both edited from the ad lavaball...

*edit*
                              (just rename the lavaball to fireball)

Comment

• You mean lavarock (fireball really looks a bit too different).

In general, these are usable, I guess. Not a lot better than the originals, but at least more symmetrical and with a bit more curves. Lavarock.mdl is normally a bit tilted to the side, which makes sense since it's probably used as a projectile, but other than that, these two are OK for SoA.

Other than that, should the two plasma cells and/or the Empathy Shield get done in the forseeable future, I would wait until their completion and then a new release would make sense. It will actually pretty much be the biggest version we have ever managed to compile, and this time even with some exclusive content!
                                Last edited by NightFright; 01-26-2021, 12:58 AM.
                                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
                                X