Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by osjclatchford View Post
    shown here tested in e1m3 as an alternative zombie skin as I knew not were it was in doe...
    the knight & hellknight-statues and mummy from DoE are litterally just re-skins of the knights and zombie models.

the DoE team simply added additional skins to the knight, hellknight & zombie for those monsters

so you were actually on the right track by applying it to the zombie,
    cuz the DoE mummy litterally IS simply a skin for the zombie

or if you were talking about where to find the mummy in DoE....
    there is this one egyptian temple level in the 2nd episode, and the mummy is exclusively found in only that one level
    its inside a tomb where you also run into a mummy with high HP that serves as a boss to the level
    Last edited by talisa; 01-30-2021, 06:37 AM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• The mummy appears in R2M4 "Curse of Osiris". Also a really good one! In DoE it's a separate model, called mummy.mdl, with just one skin. Still using the zombie model mesh, though.

There is one reskin left, which is the CTF skin for the DoE player. It's a capnbubs model though and the skin is very different from the original. It's not too important however since I doubt there will be many occasions players see that. However, the ID1 model is still replaced with the DoE one, so as long as we don't have that done, you will only see the low-poly version ingame.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• talisa, yes I did indeed know how it was done. it was my unfamiliarity with doe's levels I was referring to.
        thats what I was saying.
        to show the ingame shot i temporarily used the mummy skin on the zombies and loaded e1m3 just to get the screenshot.

its obviously indended to be used properly in doe on the mummy.mdl in the pack (which in turn is just chillo's zombie model with a new skin)

@ NF Will look into the player skin thing...

oh, although as yet unmentioned, I'll just say that I've not tackled the lavaman.mdl for the obvious reasons that the chillo model is far too different to work with a simple skin swap. it would need a new model (or altered chillo model) for improved polycount as far as I can see. becuase chillo's chthon has modeled 3d 'teeth' on it so it would not really suit a lavaman type skin with the simple derpy face...

obviously I could technically make one thats close in tone with the lava texture and all that, but the face would have to be different (closer to chthon's) and that, to me, bypasses and transgress the whole point of this project... authenticity or bust!

Comment

• I just compared the original boss.mdl and lavaman.mdl models side by side. Models are identical, even in size (shrinking is probably done via QuakeC), just different skin and Lavaman is missing two animations, "shockb" and "shockc".

I see that Chillo deviated more with his Chthon model than usual so a mere reskin might be hard, indeed. Might need Tea Monster magic.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I think this should be the player done: https://www.mediafire.com/file/m2svg..._skin.zip/file
            pics below...

*edit*
            Originally posted by NightFright View Post
            I see that Chillo deviated more with his Chthon model than usual so a mere reskin might be hard, indeed. Might need Tea Monster magic.
            As I say, I could do one but it would look just like the chillo chthon but with black horns and lava skin. the face would not at all be faithfull, I'd just do it the same as the chillo chthon but the colour as the horns etc...

if you want that, I can do it but wont bother if thats not what you're after as I have no interest in doe in truth...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-30-2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• As for the Lavaman, maybe you can make the horns red or orange, that could help with visual distinction at least. It's not going to be as faithful then, but maybe the horns can also be edited out completely with some effort.

Regarding the DoE player: If you look closely, the original skin has more details changed than just the armor and pants.
              - Axe is brighter and there's only blood on the left side
              - Weapon is slightly different
              - Belt buckle is different
              - Boots and elbows have protectors (or whatever those things are supposed to be)

I have attached the ID1 skin (top) with the CTF skin (bottom) to make comparison easier.

PS: I just noticed that capnbubs' player model doesn't seem to have any animations included, at least they are not in q1mv. Excuse me, wtf? I was already afraid I had somehow deleted the animations when recompressing the whole thing with QuArK, but it appears the original release was exactly the same.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NightFright; 01-30-2021, 07:54 AM.
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I did change the gun and axe already. and the boots...
                I chose to put the blood on both sides of the axe as it was easier but if thats a huge problem I can change that again...

however Ive just changed the buckle colour. (see same link as above)

as for the anims? you need to download qme and look at it in there. its all in there I can assure you...
                Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-30-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Good. Well, the model works just fine ingame since you can see it moving at the end of the original game and SoA. Q1mv only has v0.5, so it's unfinished and probably cannot detect all animations.

The player model is hard to check ingame in general, but I guess your approach is good enough. Like I wrote, almost nobody will ever see this. Same with the Mjolnir player for SoA.
                  Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• ok. well ive redone the buckle to be even closer and I DID get the single side of blood on the axe to look appropriate:
                    https://www.mediafire.com/file/m2svg..._skin.zip/file

only thing on the original not on this one is the elbow pads... for reasons...

its still better...

roeguy.png

Comment

• Well, the missing elbow pads don't really ruin it. Maybe they get miraculously attached later on. But even if they don't, it's more than good enough for a model you won't even see in singleplayer.

If possible, besides the plasma cells I'd still like to have the adjusted Vore model before wrapping up the next release. It's the last ID1 improvement I am not 100% satisfied with.
                      Last edited by NightFright; 01-30-2021, 09:01 AM.
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• You and me both, gonna have to be teamonster to fix that vore model methinks...

this:
                        lavaman_wip.jpg
                        is what I meant with the lavaman. Its the face thats the issue. the lava skin and blackened horns work but without altering the face geometry on the model this is +/- all can be done...

Comment

• For Chthon, Chillo's edits work, but the lavaman could indeed be less "horny"...
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• well, if you wanna do somthing with it here its: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kq01x...adude.zip/file (as in the pic above.)

Comment

• Nice to see you Talisa!

Where do you download chillo's stuff from? I'm not used to twitter and I can't see any download buttons.

Comment

• Originally posted by osjclatchford View Post
                                its obviously indended to be used properly in doe on the mummy.mdl in the pack (which in turn is just chillo's zombie model with a new skin)
                                oh right, they did rename the model itself to mummy.mdl... but iirc its the exact same model as the zombie otherwise, no?
                                been a while since i played quake & even longer since i ever played rogue, so i couldnt tell you exactly which map it is that had the mummies

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                                Nice to see you Talisa!
                                hehe hai again, its been quite a while.

been focussed on my clothing-store in second life and havent really played quake at all in quite a while,
                                and havent really been keeping up-to-date with anything quake-related, besides occasionally checking func_msgboard for new map-releases

had proclaimed this site to be dead after the whole fiasco with all the spam-bots a couple years ago, and hadnt even checked the site in a long time.
                                good to see the site actually did eventually get updated to look proper and that the spam-bots issue seems to actually be taken care of
                                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                                X