No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Github updated. Chunkier headgibs are always welcome! Looks a lot better, too. I didn't manage to get the Hellspawn eyes variant showing up ingame, and on second thought, I am again not sure if it's actually used after all, even though it's supposed to according to wiki. It's defined in the source code as well, so maybe it's just so rare I couldn't find it on short notice. Better to have it one way or another, I guess.

We will definitely still need solutions for the "open" headgibs that remain (h_hellkn, h_shal, h_zombie) before we can think of a new release since I just encountered another situation ingame where you can see it: On sloped surfaces when the headgib is located above you. That can happen quite a lot, especially in newer maps.

In the meantime, the Func guys recognized the new models are "significantly better", even though there still seems to be some vertex wobble, which is how MDL works when compressing positions (it's less precise regarding that compared to MD5 after all). There's nothing you could do about it, just FYI, basically. One way or the other, general quality of these conversions is outstanding. Seems they might even try to add native MD5 support to Quakespasm, but MDL format is still better since that enables support in a wider range of ports, especially those that probably won't get updated any more, such as Mark V.
    Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 12:49 AM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• yep just likeI say, mdls are like that. nothing we've ever had in the pack doest do it when animating...

anyway:
      OSJC_h_hellkn.zip

same treatment for h_hellkn
      merging the new with the old one's neck-stump.

elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either... Lols no it came out ok in the end. bit of fudging here and there but its a significant improvement in game...

Comment

• also h_zombie:

OSJC_h_zombie.zip

I feel the correct position and addition of the neck does a lot for this one...
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nice! That just leaves us with the Vore headgib missing to be fixed, now. I am sure you'll get that done somehow still as well, after this excessive gibbitude!

BTW, only in comparison with the new model did I notice how comic-like Chillos's Zombie was. It was OK as a placeholder, but the Nightdive variant looks a lot meaner and suits the general tone of the game better. In DoE, the Chillo Mummy variant on the other hand works since it's wrapped in bandages which helps hiding the comic style. Speaking of which: I noticed we almost completely eliminated Chillo monsters from the pack. We only still use his Death Knight and Zombie/Mummy in DoE because of the additional skins that can't be remade.
          Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 01:59 AM.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• oh, thats actually a bit of a shame... he's done so much for us here. still he's immortalised with the demon gib, doe skins and I still love his chton...

anyway, here is the h_shal...
            osjc_h_shal.zip

this was a further pigger to do as I had to resculpt all the inside of the mouth so you couldnt see the floor through his gaping maw...
            but, you knew I'd do it...

its that kind of support and faith in my meagre abilities that gets any of this done at all... thanks man.
            Attached Files

Comment

• re did the scrag headgib.
              using the merging of the new and old models technique again.
              osjc_h_wizard.zip
              its come out ok.

whilst the chillo/teamonster one is ok as a placeholder, this one is both a better match for the new wizard.mdl model and skin but also a better match for the old h_wizard.mdl from id1.
              so I call that a win...

Comment

• Outstanding! 'Tis indeed better to have all headgibs fit the models by 100%.

Now, what's actually left on my list before we can do that release? Hmmm... not that much, actually. Maybe that RL muzzleflash fix, if it can be done. But it's really not that noticable, I gotta say, at least not in QSS. Wiping the last of Chillo's monsters from DoE would be something, too, but - considering Nightdive didn't do ANY remodels for DoE, having these in place is still far, far better than nothing.

When I look at Nightdive's derp Shambler, there's still one part I like about it: Its teeth are more articulated than on skiffy's model. However, what is it good for if the entire thing looks like a joke? So yeah, keep it.
                Would also love to use the new Zombie in DoE, but those couple of new animation frames are still in the way.
                Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 07:19 AM.
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• well I just had similar Idea too, putting the teeth of the new demon on the chillo demon headgib.
                  epic fail!
                  very hard to manipulate the model thus in qme. but it got me thinking...

no! not putting the shambler teeth on skiffy's models, how many frames of animation to line up!? no chance, sorry...

however, this is what you get when you combine the sock h_ogre with the head details of the enhaced ogre:

OSJC_h_ogreAGAIN!.zip

has both id1 and doe skins... Im well happy with that... what a difference!

Comment

• Indeed, that fits even better. And I thought we were done with that one...
                    But: What is that thing underneath its left eyebrow near the nose? Looks like a small gap/seam in the model. Can also be seen in q1mv. Maybe that can be fixed?
                    When looking at that model from a few angles, there are also still a few gaps around the chin, maybe that's where both parts were joined. I doubt it would really be visible ingame, though.
                    Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 08:04 AM.
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• good catch on the eybrow, twas indeed a stray vertex. and a rather overt one being where it was. there was also a few in his mouth, gone now.
                      OSJC_h_ogre_YET_again.zip
                      as for the gaps hither an yon around the undersides and all that? you know what, these merged models are riddled with them.
                      the hellknight and enforcer heads have them too. but they are so unnoticable I left it alone.
                      Ive done my best to eliminate most if them but its very easily to ruin the form of the model doing it.
                      so any left in are there for that reason, or because Ive simply missed them LOL.

still, not bad considering how they're made...
                      forcing two models in differing resolutions, designed 25 years apart into the same physical space... who would even do that? oh right. this idiot!
                      I must enjoy punishing myself with these projects...

not 100% perfect, no. but, its good enough for me anyhow...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Yeah, that's just fine. QA seal of approval given. Nobody will look at those with a magnifying glass ingame after all, I believe. Can picture it though, like: "Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Can't you see this 1 nanometer vertex gap under the left lower chin of the Ogre headgib, visible at an angle of 73° when it's floating above you in low-gravity maps? It's causing me sleepless nights, man!"
                        Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 09:15 AM.
                        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• yup, thats what I'm expecting from the func_msgboard lot... LOL

so, just the doe mummy and minotaur outstanding skin wise...
                          but as you say. chillos are a fair replacement. till something better emerges... wouldn't expect them from me anytime soon...

I guess thats me done for a while then... thats my quake itch scratched for a month or so...I can get back to my 40k models now! LOL

Comment

• Dunno how good Tea Monster is at skin editing, but maybe he can do something about the Lavaman, Mummy and Minotaur. But again, we ain't in a hurry with those.

You can still mess around with the Rocket Launcher and those muzzleflashes, though. I will try the shrinking method if I can't delete those fuggerz. Dunno why they are even there when they are not supposed to be shown.
                            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• ok:
                              osjc_vrock2_2.zip
                              Ive changed the size and position of the flash when not in use so that it doesnt interpolate into view when firing and going back into its stored position

oh and that last ogre head was broken by my own edits. removing the eybrow bit was ok but moving the bit in the mouth funted up the right side of his head.
                              i'd say use this instead:
                              OSJC_h_ogresurely_not_AGAIN!.zip
                              removes the eybrow vetex but leaves the ones in the mouth alone... compromise for model integrity... god these merged models are touchy... slightest alterationa or movement and you buger it... I'll leave it alone now...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by osjclatchford; 08-25-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• And we have them on Github. Now it's time to relax a bit, I guess. Oh, and ofc the new Ogre has vertex wobbles, too, just not so bad! Wow, I am so worried.

Side note: The one who made the Nightdive models is apparently a Jonatan Pöljö (@eldrone on twitter). Maybe that's capnbubs' real name or now we just know the one who ripped the models... Anyway, will credit him in the readme.
                                Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 11:40 PM.
                                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
                                X