No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, I had it positioned like the original id1 one at first but it looked real odd in-game.
    Its down to sock's model being designed to be viewed as it is ont he grunt one.
    let me have a tinker and I'll see what I can do... I managed ok with the zombie headgib so, lets see...

*edit*
    osjc_neds_player.zip
    neds_playaz.jpg
    heres version 2.
    changes to the scale, position and tweaked the skin a bit so the teeth and nose look better...
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 10-12-2021, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• So I guess we can put a big checkmark on that head now. Well done!

(For some reason, this head will sink into the floor too much when used as floor decal at the beginning of OUM4 (in "Operation Urth Majik"). Then again, when testing with the original model, this one apparently wasn't placed properly in the first place since its rotation is off, so I think it's rather a mapping issue.)
      Last edited by NightFright; 10-13-2021, 12:03 AM.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Originally posted by NightFright View Post
        Mankrip also complains that instead of fixing interpolation, we are just turning it off
        You are misquoting me. I was talking about the Quake remaster, not the converted models:
        https://www.celephais.net/board/view...2088&start=153
        I finally saw the new models (got the MD5->MDL conversions).

Sadly, they went through the hacky route of disabling interpolations instead of creating the models in an interpolation-friendly way. Most of the new viewmodels have bad issues with muzzleflash interpolation, and the new enforcer also has a problematic muzzleflash.

Sorry, but disabling interpolations to "fix" model animations is an ugly hack.
        I was NOT saying that the muzzleflash issues were caused by the conversion. I'm criticizing the way the remaster was done, not the way the conversions were done.

It should have been obvious that I was talking about the remaster because disabling interpolations is something that is done in the engine and that thread is about the remaster, not the conversions.
        I only mentioned the conversions because I didn't buy the remaster yet, so the conversions were the only way for me to see the new models created by id Software.

The way you misquoted me caused osjclatchford to get angry at me:

Originally posted by osjclatchford View Post
        those fucking guys and thier bloody nitpicking...

dont use interpolation. there fixed...

AFAIK That has absolutely sweet FA to do with anything I've done to the models.
        its just how they are built.
        The program I've used simply converts them from md5 to mdl. I have no control over how it does it.
        Also, Its is not a hack not to use Interpolation. it comes off in standard in quakespasm and was never in the orginal quake. its an option. one that came with glquake first, I believe. it is of no interest to me as I dont use it and would have no idea what even is causing it.
        If anything its a hack to have it on. doing so mbreaks the id1 v_nail model's muzzleflash for example.

if you're that bothered by it in quakespam type r_lerpmodels 1 intot he console.
        bam fixed...
        It's me who you are talking about.

Since you're a immature child who can't take criticism, I've fixed the models myself:

It's a hack to force interpolation to be disabled in viewmodels while everything else keeps being interpolated. Interpolation should either be disabled for everything, or enabled for everything.
        It is a hack in the coding sense because it requires a bunch of special case code that is simply disgusting because it shouldn't be needed at all.
        And it discourages people from learning how to create & edit models properly.

NightFright misinterpreted me without providing a link to what I actually said, so don't go insulting people before verifying what actually happened. I was not criticizing your conversions, but you can't handle feedback anyway.
        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
        ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by mankrip View Post
          You are misquoting me. I was talking about the Quake remaster, not the converted models:
          https://www.celephais.net/board/view...2088&start=153

I was NOT saying that the muzzleflash issues were caused by the conversion. I'm criticizing the way the remaster was done, not the way the conversions were done.

It should have been obvious that I was talking about the remaster because disabling interpolations is something that is done in the engine and that thread is about the remaster, not the conversions.
          I only mentioned the conversions because I didn't buy the remaster yet, so the conversions were the only way for me to see the new models created by id Software.

The way you misquoted me caused osjclatchford to get angry at me:

It's me who you are talking about.

Since you're a immature child who can't take criticism, I've fixed the models myself:

It's a hack to force interpolation to be disabled in viewmodels while everything else keeps being interpolated. Interpolation should either be disabled for everything, or enabled for everything.
          It is a hack in the coding sense because it requires a bunch of special case code that is simply disgusting because it shouldn't be needed at all.
          And it discourages people from learning how to create & edit models properly.

NightFright misinterpreted me without providing a link to what I actually said, so don't go insulting people before verifying what actually happened. I was not criticizing your conversions, but you can't handle feedback anyway.
          like a give a shit anyway.
          go fuck yourself for all I care.
          is that what you want? want a rise out of me? fine. you got it.
          I really dont care about you or this anymore its just quake man.
          but that being said Im not gonna sit in silence on the matter while you wax lyrical about it or try to stomp on NightFright.

if you could do what needed to be done in the first place, then you should have just done it and shut the fuck up all with the sissy bitching.

talk about not taking critisism? you came all the way over here to go on about it to us.
          its not immaturity to say what I said, and know what? seems I was right!
          so I go back to my original sentiment which was "go fuck yourself"

its just a fun little project for a game a quarter of a century old.
          say what you will, but what was happening by any measure is nit picking.

hell, the project's done anyway and so am I.

away with you...
          Last edited by osjclatchford; 10-31-2021, 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling...

Comment

• Yeah, you really don't know the difference between technical criticism and personal offense.

I have nothing against NightFright, I just pointed out that he misinterpreted me. But I'm still cool with him, because he wasn't offensive in any way. It's normal for mistakes to happen, and correcting them is a positive attitude.

Your attitude, however, can't be helped. Let's just agree to disagree and stop this here.
            Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
            ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• oh it can be helped.
              I just decided not to hold back on this occasion..

I have spoken...

Comment

• Hey everyone! It's been a while...

Two questions:
                1) Anyone still alive?
                2) Has anyone ever experienced texture seams with the grip part of the Mjolnir in SoA?

I have confirmed the issue in the meantime, happens in all OpenGL modes. Will try to fix that with a skin edit. However, if someone wants to take a look at the mdl mesh instead and fix that - also not a bad idea...

UPDATE:
                Issue fixed in latest dev build. It was a simple skin edit with Q1MV in the end. There's still a smaller problem with an overstretched texture on the top (maybe UV mapping?).
                Last edited by NightFright; 02-28-2022, 01:21 AM.
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Hi NF! good to hear from you.

1) yes, still alive.
                  2) view or world model?

Comment

• It's the view model. The handle is fixed by now. Dunno about the top part, but it's not top prio. Right now I am rather digging into progs.dat stuff since some of the fixes either don't work or have unwanted side effects. But managed to improve projectile alignment thanks to the input of a guy over at Github. Now nails actually really appear in front of the muzzles instead of inside the gun (clipping out of its side parts).
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• So... we have a complaint the Grunt head is too large compared to its body/torso size. Any thoughts?

After a short comparison in QMV, I found the model has the same size as the original. Maybe it seems bigger due to the additional helmet size/volume, but if we shrunk the whole thing, head would actually become too small.

A valid point could be that the id1 head was too large to begin with. Will experiment with 0.8x and 0.7x head scales and see if any of those fit better.

156904120-ca737fba-9d1b-450c-a70d-2c90b0a95fc0.png
                      Last edited by NightFright; 03-06-2022, 03:25 AM.
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I can confirm that the grunt id1 head gib is also too big compared to monster model.
                        In fact its something I changed on my own quake setup but left it alone on this project for the sake of 100% authenticity.

I'll bet half the people that complain about this sort of thing never even played quake when it came out. otherwise they'd know these things surely?

Comment

• Well, I adjusted (shrunk) the Rottweiler, Grunt and Enforcer headgib sizes. They might now deviate from original sizes, but in return actually look like they might belong to the torsos they came from. It's not exactly the most necessary adjustments, but at least one person considered it to be quite important...
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• If you want to laugh:

Someone just asked on Github to expand this project to Abyss of Pandemonium. Yeah sure, absolutely. Those dozens of modelling artists we have available at all times for Quake stuff will gladly do it...

Oh, and the other request was about making the enhanced models ingame toggle work. Which as you know only works for the Rerelease md5 models. So sure, let's convert everything to md5, including the md5s we converted to mdl some while ago.

Really, just... roflcopter.
                            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• And another guy on Github just asked to replace the GL with the Dwere or Remaster model... yeah, AGAIN. I dunno how often we switched that model already, but one thing is sure: I am not touching it again.

This kind of stuff is apparently a matter of personal taste and if someone doesn't like certain entries - get one of the earlier revisions, pick your favorites and replace the models in the latest release. I think that's a fair compromise, right?
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                                Hey everyone! It's been a while...

Two questions:
                                1) Anyone still alive?
                                2) Has anyone ever experienced texture seams with the grip part of the Mjolnir in SoA?

I have confirmed the issue in the meantime, happens in all OpenGL modes. Will try to fix that with a skin edit. However, if someone wants to take a look at the mdl mesh instead and fix that - also not a bad idea...

UPDATE:
                                Issue fixed in latest dev build. It was a simple skin edit with Q1MV in the end. There's still a smaller problem with an overstretched texture on the top (maybe UV mapping?).
                                Hey. I'm busy on other projects at the moment. I do check in occasionally. I've been working on the Nail and Crescent mod for a while, which doesn't fit into your remit, but it should be sort of up your alley.

Comment

Working...
                                X