Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quake's connection to Quake 2 and Quake 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake's connection to Quake 2 and Quake 4?

This had me wondering how Quake went to Quake 2 and 4. The first Quake game originally started with the gothic genre plus with little of sci-fi and based on HP Lovecraft references.

However in Quake 2 and 4, Quake's original genre is replaced with the complete sci-fi genre where the human race are engaged to a war against a race of alien cyborgs called the Strogg, which also replaces the enemies.

Quake was not a direct sequel to Quake 2 because it due when ID Software was running out of diffrerent names for Quake 2's genre. Quake 2 merely used the name of it.

But because of this, it was due the id software have failed to gain rights to the title they wanted which led to the refusal to any sequel to the original Quake story.

However, I've seen the "indirect" connection between Quake and Quake 2 became less of a coincidence how Quake changed to Quake 2. I came up with a theory that makes Quake have a connection with Quake 2 where it fits, even though it was not the case to Quake's real story in development.

If look closely at the boxes and the base levels in Quake one, you will see the same strogg symbol in Quake 2. Also if you see the slipgate portal in the introduction in ET: Quake Wars, it is shaped as the same Quake logo/symbol.

It made me feel convinced that they do have a same connection. Maybe the strogg has something to do with the slipgates to the Quake dimension long ago. They were probably preparing the invasion but accidently released Quakes forces and forced the strogg to abandoned the base, which soon now occupied by humans, and left the world under attacked by Quake's forces but somehow defeated Quake's forces, due by how it explains Earth's "myths and legends" and ancient heros defeated Quake and try to prevent this from happening again. Both mission packs probably gave me the idea of it.

However, this is just a theory I came up to prevent confusion between Quake and Quake 2.
    Last edited by Frost R17; 05-08-2013, 10:17 AM.

this has been discussed countless times before.

short answer: no connection

long answer: there is no connection between quake1 and quake2&4.
    ID actually wanted to make a new series of games, but the names they had in mind for their new game were all taken already. so ID decided to go the lazy route and instead of trying to come up with a new name which wasnt taken yet they decided to just use the name quake for their new game, even if it didnt have anything to do with quake1 and was a completely different game all-together
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

the reason i like quake is there is no real story line to the game you can make it up as you see the world. i think that's why kids today don't like it cose it requires a imagination.

Comment

Not the kind of answers I expected but I understand. I just imagened it because some stuff in quake is related to Quake 2 but still completely different. However it's just the way it is now sadly but the quake games are still good.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I thought I could share my view of it.

Comment

nope, no connection between the games other then ID being lazy and using the same name for their new game

anyways, i agree, i love both quake2 and quake4 too myself, they're both really great games too.

people just keep comparing them to much to quake1 and saying how they are not like quake1 and have nothing to do with quake1.
          which is true, they have absolutely zero to do with quake1
          people should learn to look at them as different games, as they are both brilliant games in their own right.

same thing as with people comparing doom3 to much to doom1+2.
          that game was never meant to be like doom1/2, but people keep stomping on it cuz they keep comparing it to doom1/2,
          while people should look at the game itself and stop comparing it to doom1/2, its a really great game on itself
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Yeah I guess i should drop this topic; anyway I do like doom, but doom 3 is not like a sequel from doom and doom 2 as you might have mentioned, almost like a remake but with more horror that will get you on edge, but however it's still doom and it keeps the story.

Unlike the movie doom which the director screwed that up because they replaced the demons of hell with some virus from some alien DNA and used as an attempt to create super soldiers, however so far no one has seen that problem as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Frost R17 View Post
              almost like a remake but with more horror that will get you on edge, but however it's still doom and it keeps the story.
              eyup... thats exactly what doom3 is, a reboot of the series

i completely agree on the doom movie, that one was horrible and it was a horrible idea of the creators to instead make it be about some kinda virus whatever. it didnt feel like doom at all except for a few weapons being present.

doom movie wasnt just bad cuz it wasnt like doom, it was just a bad movie in general

Comment

Yeah, but it gets me thinking why they changed that in the movie.
                Maybe they didn't like the idea of demons of hell? But more importantly, why didn't id software get on to them about it?

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                  eyup... that's exactly what doom3 is, a reboot of the series
                  Then why didn't they just call it Doom if it were a reboot?

Maybe that's just showing you how lazy Id is with naming things lol.

It's like working at a pizza shop and all the sudden making tacos but calling them pizzas. You piss everyone off!

Deep-Dish-Tacos anyone? Mmmmm
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I was less than thrilled playing Quake 2 for the first time instantly figuring out they were not connected.

It was a good game though, even if it's launch coincided with them discovering the ID Software RCON exploit where anyone spoofing an IDSoftware IP address could instantly gain control of a Quake/Quakeworld/Quake2 server. Server shutdown commands all around...

Played the hell out of it before going back to Quake One, it took the full release of Weapons Factory team 6 to get me back to Quake 2. All in all, I liked Quake One far more than 2. That said, mods like Superheroes 2 turned out to be better for their time.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      Then why didn't they just call it Doom if it were a reboot?
                      Or maybe it's just keeping the Game's legacy alive just like they did in quake and wolfenstein. On the other hand, It's making the first doom a little better since if you are facing demons of hell, then you should expect some horror to mess your pants.

At least they still kept the doom story which there is no argument, unlike doom the movie like I said to talisa.

Comment

why does everybody dump on the doom movie? sure they took liberties with the story, but it was ok. it had a distinct feel similar to the resident evil movie, which i liked. Sure it looks like it sucks when you start comparing it to doom, but if you let it stand on it's own 2 feet it it's ok.
                        My Avatars!
                        Quake Leagues
                        Quake 1.5!!!
                        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                          why does everybody dump on the doom movie? sure they took liberties with the story, but it was ok. it had a distinct feel similar to the resident evil movie, which i liked. Sure it looks like it sucks when you start comparing it to doom, but if you let it stand on it's own 2 feet it it's ok.
                          Well maybe, but it confuses people about the "real" story of doom. I have a "friend" that thought doom was about fighting a virus due by the movie.

I don't mind you liking the movie, that's cool, but understand how movies based on video games deviate the idea of the original story and causes confusion.

P.S.: I do not judge people about thier interests as long it's not harmful to their lives, like over drinking or smoking too much.

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                            The Doom movie was poor scifi that tried to be like horror. But... you know... I can't remember the first Resident Evil movie well enough to do a comparison but I do remember liking it despite it's extreme divergence from the game's story. I think that the more fervently you like something, the more angry it would make you when a new iteration of it butchers it.

I know my wife was piratically up in arms over the Legend of the Seeker after having read The Sword of Truth... but what you can you expect from the people who made Hercules and Xena?

Comment

This might be a little too obvious, but it appears as if people have gone off-topic... People have gone from Quake Naming Discussion to Doom Discussion. Now some folks want to talk about the Doom movie... But it's okay, I can tolerate that. It is only human nature to go off-topic... I thought that the Doom movie was good. I love action movies; the Doom movie was very exciting. Some people over-analyzed the Doom movie. (They were looking for mistakes/flaws.) You know what? Sometimes people think too hard (and that can be a problem). That's it, that's all.
                              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                              X