500GHZ Chip Speed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500GHZ Chip Speed!!!

Using cryogenic freezing, researchers at Georgia Tech in conjunction with IBM have managed to push a silicon-germanium semiconductor to an impressive 500GHz operational frequency. The chip attained the record while operating at minus 451 degrees Fahrenheit.

To that end, IBM and Georgia Tech scientists turned down the temperature and cryogenically froze the chip at minus 451 F. It's about as cold as things get. An extremely cold temperature like that is found naturally only in outer space, but can be artificially achieved on Earth using ultracold materials such as liquid helium. Absolute zero comes at minus 459 F.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Damn. Monster drools. 500GHz!!!! Computers have a very bright future ahead. But we would have to keep them cryogenically frozen all the time.

not that I read any of it, that's got to be the most indulging post ever made by Monster

Comment

yeah, i was bored.

Comment

If they can make 500gig processors...
        How come we dont have 10 gig yet?
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Dunno. It's probably in a prototype stage.

Comment

It must be a scam. Real scientists don't use Fahrenheit. Only idiots use Fahrenheit, which has no base in reality and makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
              It must be a scam. Real scientists don't use Fahrenheit. Only idiots use Fahrenheit, which has no base in reality and makes no sense.
              You Canadians thought you'd be getting a good deal by switching to the metric system because you wouldn't have to do conversions.

But you still do conversions trying to figure out how many of your dollars = one of our dollars and when you cross into the US to get better gas prices trying to figure out how many litres are in a gallon :d and then try to figure out how many kpm is mph so you don't get pulled over by the cops.

Say how come your dollars suck and are never worth as much as one of our dollars?

And how come you guys have a 55 "metre" line in football? (Like real FOOTBALL with helmets and tough guys)

[/obligatory harassment of Canadians, hopes Jackhole and Hydro don't notice ]
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                Say how come your dollars suck and are never worth as much as one of our dollars?
                You must be a youngster if you don't remember the Canadian dollar being way above the American dollar Wasn't so long ago either.

Face it Baker, you're jealous that we're Canadian and you're American. Life is a party for us! Life is a party pooper for joo ;-P

Comment

Actually I am from Vancouver WA USA!
                  Sorry eh!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                    You Canadians thought you'd be getting a good deal by switching to the metric system because you wouldn't have to do conversions.

But you still do conversions trying to figure out how many of your dollars = one of our dollars and when you cross into the US to get better gas prices trying to figure out how many litres are in a gallon :d and then try to figure out how many kpm is mph so you don't get pulled over by the cops.

And how come you guys have a 55 "metre" line in football? (Like real FOOTBALL with helmets and tough guys)

[/obligatory harassment of Canadians, hopes Jackhole and Hydro don't notice ]
                    Why turn this into an anti-Canadian rant? The Americans are the *only* ones who use Fahrenheit (actually, according to wikipedia, there is one other country - Jamaica). ALL other countries use real units. And last time I checked even American scientists use proper units like Kelvin or at least Celsius.

Comment

The article never said they were scientists, they are researchers. Computer technicians can use farenheight. Why does it really matter?

Comment

Why turn this into an anti-Canadian rant? The Americans are the *only* ones who use Fahrenheit (actually, according to wikipedia, there is one other country - Jamaica). ALL other countries use real units. And last time I checked even American scientists use proper units like Kelvin or at least Celsius.
                        Hehe, the Celsius system is better for science and industry, that's for sure.

Someday I imagine the US will switch, but I bet it will be in the distant future.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Fahrenheit is just random

So yeah... let's draw this thread on mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok I'm done

Comment

Unfortunately, I grew up only being taught fahrenheit. They mentioned celsuis but it wasn't important at the time. I'm only a victim of the times. I guess it was ok at the time.

If someone says, "Oh, it's 75 degrees outside." I can't tell you what the celsuis is. But I can tell you that in fahreneit, it's fairly nice out. It's what we are used to.

Monster, how about an upgrade to a 4.1G for only $130.00?
                            Last edited by Grim; 06-27-2006, 09:17 AM.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

[singing]

« ...Chips were born to give you fever, be it fahrenheit or centigrade... »

[/singing]

Comment

Working...
                              X