Gaming mice. Yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming mice. Yay or nay?

So, I'm getting a new mouse in a couple of days courtesy of a generous room mate. It's nothing amazing, it's just a cheap gaming mouse. But weirdly enough, it's my first gaming mouse.

Eventually, I'll get the Cyborg R.A.T. 9 mouse, because it'd really help me personally with a lot of programs I use.

Now, although I'm somewhat curious as to what mouse/keyboard/interface you have to play quake with. Do any of you prefer to play on a non PC based port of quake?

I generally just play nQuake/Proquake/Darkplaces. But I do keep thinking of booting up the Wii port for a giggle.

Oh, and one thing I would like to ask, which means at least everybody should be able to have some input is;

Gaming interfaces, are they needed? Does a quake player need a gaming mouse? I would say that it's obviously a minor help, but I don't think quake needs a gaming mouse. But I've not owned one, so maybe my opinion is from my naivety.
    twitch
    wew lad

Don't be surprised if it breaks down after a week. There's good reason Trust products are cheap. I'm using a Razer mouse atm because I got tired of Logitec having become a lowest common denominator sellout.

Comment

You say that, yet my trust mouse has been fine for 2 years, my friend has their high end gaming mouse and has done for about a year and a half.

I thought that going in, but they have started making decent products in the past few years. (Also used a recent model, was lovely)
      twitch
      wew lad

Comment

mine:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095ONNTC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com : E-3lue Mazer Type-R 2500DPI USB Wired Optical Game Gaming Mouse Black-Gray EMS140 : Computers & Accessories[/ame]
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

mine ; Pixxo MO-R135U Mouse - Newegg.com

Dirt cheap, cheaper than you'll find most mice in a retail store. $9.99
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Now that's a nice mouse.
            twitch
            wew lad

Comment

On pc I use a razer mamba , it does wireless and wired no lags.
              That in combination with a gamepad, thats my quake gamegear .
              I also play quake with gamepad on android on my mk808b and my new cx-919 both connected to a tv .
              My servers for the gamers:
              bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
              port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
              Offline ATM
              fvf.servequake.com
              flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
              Offline ATM
              newdm.servequake.com
              port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
              sigpic

Comment

My mouse in all of it's $19.99 glory.

Comment

My Razer Krait's switches died on me. It's sad because it was such a nice small mouse. So Razer isn't quite as legendary in my view - overpriced shit. I won't buy it again.

I use a Logitech Mx518 atm, which is pretty large for me (which is why I bought the Krait to supplant it) but I can't be arsed to buy a new mouse. It hasn't broken down yet, despite being a couple years old. It does the job.

I don't know if a Razer mouse will make you play better... I'm not leet enough to discern that. But I doubt it. I think the largest part of what makes one a good player has nothing to do with the brand of mouse one uses, but with how well one understands the game.

But hey, all the pros use them! So... yay for spending your money.

When mine breaks, I'll probably go with a cheap one because that's easily replaced.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by OMacKnight View Post
                    Now that's a nice mouse.
                    hah thanks
                    My Avatars!
                    Quake Leagues
                    Quake 1.5!!!
                    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                      I don't know if a Razer mouse will make you play better... I'm not leet enough to discern that. But I doubt it.
                      Honestly, I couldn't care less about whether I improve as a player from using a mouse, I just like having media functions and other things on my mouse. Also Razor's are normally pretty ugly imho. I can't really explain why, I just really don't like them. I don't mind the one I'm getting, but it's functionality > aesthetics still.

But as long as it works I suppose it really doesn't matter in the end.
                      twitch
                      wew lad

Comment

Originally posted by OMacKnight View Post
                        Honestly, I couldn't care less about whether I improve as a player from using a mouse, I just like having media functions and other things on my mouse. Also Razor's are normally pretty ugly imho. I can't really explain why, I just really don't like them. I don't mind the one I'm getting, but it's functionality > aesthetics still.

But as long as it works I suppose it really doesn't matter in the end.
                        I was a long time nay-sayer about Mice being an integral part of your gaming experience.

Funny, a cheap ass $9.99 Mouse changed my mind entirely. You'll experience a huge leap in capability of your aim when you upgrade from the random ass'd Walmartish type cheapo mouse that I usually would just get and call it a day.

I went from needing 20+ sensitivity on the old cheapo mouse , down to 3, lowest DPI availible which is 800. I found using the higher DPI settings even more difficult to find the appropriate sensitivity settings, I mean. Cmon if 800DPI w/ Sens of 3 is perfect, I would imagine I would need a Sens of 1.5 or lower to use the 2000 DPI setting.
                        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM.
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Fair enough then, perhaps when I get one I'll get a better understanding and feel for them. I can't say using a cyborg RAT 9 did much for me over the mouse I'm using. Neither did any other high end gaming mouse I've used. But I suppose I didn't get much time with any of them, or I'm just pro mlg phazor xxxXx 1337. :v

Though I highly doubt I'm that good, I rarely play.
                          twitch
                          wew lad

Comment

can't go wrong with the classic mx518. I feel that razer mice are too light and flimsy feeling. great keyboards though.
                            www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Comment

Just an update, I went from having my sensitivity on darkplaces go from 21ish (I think) to about 2 xD

It's a really smooth mouse, only issue is that the middle mouse button can be a bit awkward. But now I own a mouse and for the price it was pretty good. My flatmate also got two others and mine is the only one with the issue.

I'd definitely recommend it if you're on a budget. (The middle mouse issue is fixable)
                              twitch
                              wew lad

Comment

Working...
                              X