AMD's new API 'Mantle'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's new API 'Mantle'

(most of this is from memory, so yeah,toss me some slack )
    So, I was bored and googling for any last tid bits of info involving the new FPS BF4 from DICE/EA , and I stumbled across AMD's new API called Mantle.

So far, everything is speculation. I'm not exactly sure how we will even be able to test if Mantle or DirectX is the API being utilized. According to AMD, any AMD gpu utilizing Graphics Core Next architecture will be using Mantle instead of DirectX.

This may not seem too profound to most casual gamers, but if you think about it, OpenGL and DirectX have been the "Go to API" for atleast the past 20 or so years give or take a few. The last time this type of API was heavily supported was when Voodoo/3DFX dominated PC gaming in the 90's, the only problem was you needed a compatible Voodoo/3Dfx gpu to utilize it. Then , OpenGL,Direct3D and later on DirectX became a more universal API able to work on almost any variation of hardware.

Remember installing an old MSDOS game? You got some shitty ANSII looking setup screen that allowed you pick your graphics drivers,sound drivers, what COM they was on,and on and on. You had to literally fuck with the game before it would run,and IF you got a working drivers selection there was no garuntee's it would run worth a shit. I remember always having 'hit or miss' when it came to my old PC and what it could and couldn't accomplish in the way of PC gaming. It was a real pain in the ass back in those days, and when I could finally afford a late model Voodoo it was already a couple legs in the dirt, on its way to being useless.

So, whats this mean? I have no idea, the closest example I can compare to is the 3Dfx/Voodoo days,and thats been what seems EONS ago.

Anyone have any idea's on how to determine whether Mantle is actually being deployed and utilized? I'm not the type to accept it on faith, just because "They said so" .....

This shit seems real exciting, Mantle is basically going to be the equivilant of how the Xbox360/PS3 was able to continue to pump out great lookings games and visuals MANY years after the consoles was released. This "Direct to Metal" or "As close to Metal as possible" is what made the last gen consoles continue to keep pace (somewhat?) with the newer hardware and games coming out years after the releases of 360/PS3 .

I've never been so proud of Team Red. AMD really is shaking things up,and with AMD hardware being at the heart of the next gen consoles, I think that Intel and Nvidia are in for an uphill climb. It's rare, but both companies will have to cease the whole "we'll do our thang" and will eventually be forced to get with the program, especially if Mantle proves to THAT MUCH MORE better than the previous offerings of OpenGL and DirectX.

To describe the current state of PC gaming and the path it could be headed down,three letters to sum it all up... WOW.

Who knows, maybe Quake1 will find something useful in all of this, my first thought? Darkplaces , all the snazzy effects,and people complaining about dips in FPS. Currently I think you can cram more effects in DP than most gpu's can utilize efficiently, causing slowdowns when all its possible features are enabled.

Edit : http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/26/am...battlefield-4/ link added.
    Edit : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...d-4,24418.html link added.

Son-of-a-bitchin !!!!! Mantle support will arrive as a free update to Battlefield 4 in December. Fucking December? Okay. That just puts me in a better position to determine whether Mantle is worth its weight in the hype surrounding it.

DirectX11 for a few months, then (presumably) Mantle in December.

Blah... Cake now, Ice cream later.
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-30-2013, 09:02 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

And for those of you techies who know what the hell it means.....

Mantle will support up to 9 TIMES the draw calls versus DX11.1

I can do the math but the math is worthless when its just a number void of examples.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I heard BattleField 4 will be releasing a Mantle version

EDIT (oops just saw the bf4 link)
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        I heard BattleField 4 will be releasing a Mantle version

EDIT (oops just saw the bf4 link)
        Yea, as a free upgrade in December though. o_O

Comment

Working...
        X