• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake1 , the first 3D engine?

Yea, so I had thought too.

Saturn Hidden Treasures: Congo: The Lost City of Zinj - YouTube

Quake1 didn't do it first.

haha, damn. I started this post, like fucking 6+ hours ago and never hit the damn submit button.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

didn't do what first? full 3d?

Quake is dated 1996.
    Your game is dated 1995, according to wikipedia, I don't see any view pitching, or bridges or stuff over stuff etc
    Descent was also 1995, and was true 3d (with rooms under rooms etc) (now open source). enemies were 3d models, but not animated.
    Imho, Magic Carpet (1994) was more 3d than the game you linked, in that you can pivot the view up and down. No 6dof stuff, and still sprites for everything but the terrain, so doesn't match up to descent, but hey.
    Frontier: Elite II (1993) was a full 3d engine, including occasional texture filtering, full 6dof.
    Elite (1984) was pretty much the first true 3d game (british!), but as it is pretty much just wireframe, I'm not sure it really counts.

quake had 3d animated models. that's really all quake did that was unique (at the time). the rest had indeed all been done before.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
      didn't do what first? full 3d?

Quake is dated 1996.
      Your game is dated 1995, according to wikipedia, I don't see any view pitching, or bridges or stuff over stuff etc
      Descent was also 1995, and was true 3d (with rooms under rooms etc) (now open source). enemies were 3d models, but not animated.
      Imho, Magic Carpet (1994) was more 3d than the game you linked, in that you can pivot the view up and down. No 6dof stuff, and still sprites for everything but the terrain, so doesn't match up to descent, but hey.
      Frontier: Elite II (1993) was a full 3d engine, including occasional texture filtering, full 6dof.
      Elite (1984) was pretty much the first true 3d game (british!), but as it is pretty much just wireframe, I'm not sure it really counts.

quake had 3d animated models. that's really all quake did that was unique (at the time). the rest had indeed all been done before.
      1st 3D Engine, sorry I wasn't more direct. I was tired, was about to turn off the monitor and noticed the post sitting patiently waiting for it to be submitted hee hee

I still found the OP video interesting along with your RE

Originally posted by Planetnine , post count 0 lol
      Also nice shout out for Descent. That was an amazing game! Even the sound track was awesome. Makes me want to go dust off my joystick. The only series of games Descent 1, 2, 3 that I used a joystick for.
      Honestly, I loved Descent too back in the day, but my computer was extremely feeble back then, as I could only afford an upgrade like once every 'OH SHIT,GAMES NOW REQUIRE EVEN MORE HORSEPOWER FOR PC TO RUN IT' so back in the day I was always behind the PC gaming curve. Even when Quake1 came out, getting the game to run was half the fun (or headache) depending on how to remember it back then lol.
      Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 10-10-2013, 06:28 AM.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The first 3d engine was the universe. It's also the first and only 3d engine that allows models to create models.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Both Star Wars: X Wing (93) and Star Wars: TIE Fighter (94) used 3D polygons in a 3D environment.

Comment

Ultima Underworld (92) first game i played in 3D. Game was awesome.

Comment

Battle Zone was the first, around 1980,also wireframe. You stood up at the machine and looked into a periscope that made it stereo 3d in fact.
              WARNING
              May be too intense for some viewers.
              Stress Relief Device
              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
              ---------------------------
              .--------------------------

Comment

Tomb Raider (1996) used polygonal models in a 3D environment that could do room over room, although the TR world is based on blocks.

TR also has rotating doors, transparent water, moving water, underwater currents, actual swimming animations, alpha masked textures, breakable walls/floors, pushable/pullable boxes, a dynamic soundtrack, an iconic ring inventory, an actual protagonist, multiple keyitems, ingame animated cutscenes and "minimatics", various platforming moves (such as grabbing a ledge, pulling up, and shimmying), large outdoor areas with vegetation, huge enemies such as a T-Rex, Lara being turned to gold, huge exploding pyramids and nuclear explosions. And a scene with an elevator that was ripped off by "The Matrix".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kNuvJdUklc]Tomb Raider 1 Cutscene Elevator - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AF03WSH5U]Matrix Inspired Elevator Explosion | By DM - YouTube[/ame]
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Not to mention long legs in hot pants and huge tits!
                  Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                    Not to mention long legs in hot pants and huge tits!
                    I was going to mention stuff like level design, but I think just letting your comment stand on its own is more effective.

(Seriously??)
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

The video you posted is of the 1996 version? If so, holy crap!

tomb raider (1996)

quake 1996
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-11-2013, 05:51 PM.
                      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

ive never knew that both of those games are from same year.

thats quite interesting if you think about it,
                        how primitive quake is compared is to tomb raider while both games were released in the same year

also funny how you always hear people rave about how fancy the technology in quake was,
                        while you never hear people talk about how fancy tomb raider was while its technology was way more advanced
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Yeah but... is anyone playing tomb raider or designing NEW levels, engines and mods for it today!!!

I remember buying one of the first gen 3DFX Vodoo gfx cards, and it came with a demo of Tomb Raider... OMG we literally "ducked" our heads at first going "under" ledges and stuff! That was a game changer back then.
                          Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X