Abusing First Amendment Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Goat Avenger
    I mean for christs sake. A person could kill a teacher with a pencil if they wanted to, but when we see a crappy 50 pixil by 50 pixil icon with a headshot picture we freak.
    Heheh. Funny perspective.

If I thought it would change the world, I'd probably post some thoughts on this thread but this kind of silly inconsistent human behavior will continue maybe thru the end of time and there aren't any answers, just interesting and insightful questions.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sup all, I'm new here.

In my opinion this circumstance was handled very poorly on the schools part, perceived threat or not. Just becuase a couple of kids went gun crazy in a school in colombine doesn't mean every student in america is potentialy packin heat ready to blow off unsuspecting teachers heads.

Maybe not quite that dramatic but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. Schools obviously over-react to just about anything. Zero tolerance is good but it's only as good as the amount of common sense you put behind it.

First of all, this was an indirect threat as it was done outside of the classroom. Remeber, they wouldn't have even known unless some one "tipped" them off. So it would seem quite obvious the kid didn't think such a thing would have been such a big deal.
      Was that someone showing concern? Why the tip off if it wasn't such a big deal?

Second of all, if this truely was a perceived as a threat the next step should have been to find out what level of a threat, if it's serious or just a bad joke. The teacher claims he was scared for his and his families lively hood. Even if this be true it was unneccessary and could have been avoided.
      Looked to me that the teacher was acting more than being serious. He only wanted something to happen to that child.

The moment this "icon" was "tipped off" to the school, action should have been taken immediatly (intelligent thought out action). The school's principle after being notified should have set up a meeting with the kid, his parents, the teacher, and a cop.

If such a meeting had been taken place the issue could have been resolved much more efficiantly. The teacher would have a chance to display his concern and find out whether this is a true threat. The kid would have had a chance to explain. As i'm sure this was merely an over exagerated expression of not liking a teacher. Kids have not liked certain teachers since teachers have been around.

In conclusion, if such a meeting had taken place the kid would have had a chance to explain it was not a threat, and apologize. The teacher would no longer have to feel threatened, and the problem of "the threat" would be resolved.
      I couldn't agree more. I didn't see one person trying to get to the bottom of anything.

Perhaps a certain form of punishment may still have been neccessary to let him know such things arn't to be taken lightly, but not so much as to ban him from school for half a year and screwing up his education.

I mean for christs sake. A person could kill a teacher with a pencil if they wanted to, but when we see a crappy 50 pixil by 50 pixil icon with a headshot picture we freak. Why not just quit teaching alltogether becuz the job obviosly has such a high mortality rate.(that was sarchastic incase u didn't get it.)

So IMO, the teacher is a pussy, the kid has a bad sense of humor, and the school is just stupid.
      Parents should be held more accountable for the actions of their children. If they were any type of parents, they would have been on top of that and acted on it. I personally would not allow my son to have an icon like that. There is simply no point to it. You just don't go around depicting someone you know, personal/professional getting shot, stabbed or hurt regardless the reason. If the child has a personal problem with the teacher, then that child should consult with his or her parents.

I remember hating one PE coach. A deep dark hate... he would go out of the way to make my life hell. I didn't go around drawing pictures of him.

So IMHO, the teacher is a great actor, the kid may have a problem, the school is needs to re-evaluate what they are doing and the parents need to be parents.

par·ent·ing
      n.
      The rearing of a child or children, especially the care, love, and guidance given by a parent.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by seighten
        as for shooting the kid... now thats just wrong

I do hope you took that as a joke.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

In conclusion, if such a meeting had taken place the kid would have had a chance to explain it was not a threat, and apologize.
          Do you really think that if the kid was serious about the threat and was confronted by school administration officials and his parents he would admit he was serious about it? Kids lie. He would BS his way out of the situation...

Comment

oK.. So we see what Parenting means.. Now how about TEACHING???

teach ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tch)
            v. taught, (tôt) teach·ing, teach·es
            v. tr.
            To impart knowledge or skill to: teaches children.
            To provide knowledge of; instruct in: teaches French.
            To condition to a certain action or frame of mind: teaching youngsters to be self-reliant.
            To cause to learn by example or experience: an accident that taught me a valuable lesson.
            To advocate or preach: teaches racial and religious tolerance.
            To carry on instruction on a regular basis in: taught high school for many years.

Two wrongs will never make a right. Both are negligent of their duties. Period.
            www.Net-Tyme.com
            Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
            Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

yeah i agree there, net-tyme, that some parents need to get their shit together

it reminds me of the movie donnie darko. why would his parents keep a loaded gun in a shoebox knowing they have a psychotic son?

Comment

Working...
              X