Necrophagist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necrophagist

This band is friggin amazing. I can't stop listening to their newest album "epitaph". They are technical extreme death metal. and I mean VERY technical. The crazy shit they pull off is insane and makes you wonder if these guys have like 4 hands or something. Another thing that boggles my mind is how they can play that uber-technical stuff live without making a single mistake -- and headbang while doing it too! I haven't seen any other band or guitarist that can possibly match the maddeningly fast, technical and complex stuff they pull off. Only scar3crow would know of such a band. He is the one that told about this band and I greatly appreciate it. This band has given my ears hours of pleasure. I always have their songs stuck in my head...

One question I have to ask: HOW DO THEY DO IT?

Heres just a taste of their insane stuff :

http://shop.relapse.com/dbmedia/audi...Stabwound3.mp3
    Last edited by Monster; 07-02-2006, 07:33 PM.

Whats more impressive is the fact that most of the lead lines on treble are also performed by the vocalist, simultaneously. Even cooler is the fact that he (Muhammed Suicmez) wrote the first Necrophagist album at the age of 18 (he started learning guitar at 15) and it is technically on par with Epitaph, though the composition has matured over time. Not many people can do taps and sweeps that well after 3 years of playing. Or 10 (though I blame this on people not challenging themselves as far as the instrument comes).

On top of that, he is a certifiable Cool Dude, because he responds to forum comments earnestly, and is kind to his fans online and in person, and seems to really appreciate someone complimenting his music.

For a clean tone variant of technical metal, you might want to check out Spiral Architect, who are more along the lines of Fates End or whatnot.

http://scar3crow.circa1984.com/spira...untainhead.mp3
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Hrmm... interesting. I know nothing about how to play instruments... I suck at them naturally I guess. I sucked at guitar, and flute. Don't know about drums or anything, which has always been something I've wanted to try.

That Spiral Architect stuff is pretty weird. The bass is way too loud, and isn't really my taste in death metal. Doesn't have the brutality of necrophagist. Good find though, maybe I'll check them out more later.

Comment

Their name does mean "Corpse Eater"...
        "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

im not into deathmetal all that much but as far as metal goes.. "Vulgair Display of Power" by PanterA is still my favo album

Comment

I can't possibly think of a single favorite album... But it would have to be Slayer's "hell awaits", or slayer's "reign in blood".

Corpse Eater... Hrmm always wondered what their name meant. Their first album had some pretty sick-ass lyrics, but epitaph's actually are understandable and not about gore and other disgusting themes.

Comment

Necro = Dead
              Phagist = Eater

Necrophagy is the eating of the dead, a lot of spiders do it.

Comment

Beavers are dendrophagists, Banks are moneyphagists.

Pantera strikes me as more hardrock/metal than deathmetal.

Spiral Architect is not a death metal band, theyre a technical metal band with nods to oldschool power metal, whereas Necrophagist is a technical deathmetal band.

I find in most bands the bass is mixed down to much, and I dont think SA's bassist is so much high in the mix as they dont have as dominating of a guitar tone, which is good because he is just as involved in the music. Most bands seem to just have a bassist "because we have to", and it is the instrument that seems to be regarded in the lowest. I know this because as a bassplayer, I got to know the dirty looks for whenever I had an opinion on the song. His bass work is good, and should be heard.

So yeah, SA isnt meant to be brutal or deathmetal, but it is a flavor of metal and is a good example of technical musicianship.

I sucked at guitar, and flute.
                So much for your Jethro Tull cover band.

Comment

wtf is jethro tull?

yeah and you are right about the bass stuff-- most bands you can't hear it at all, and if you can it is very low in the backround. Necrophagist's bassist you can hear sometimes when he throws in those ocassional bass riffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                    wtf is jethro tull?
                    THIS IS NO LOLLING MATTER.

GET THIS CHILD A JETHRO TULL TAPE NOW.

Comment

OMFG he didn't just say that! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO JETHRO TULL IS?!

Comment

I've heard of him, but I have no idea what kind of music he plays, or what it sounds like. All I know about is METAL.

Comment

Ah the classic mistake. Jethro Tull is not an individual (though what would Jethro Tull even be without Ian Andersen?).

As a metal fan you should know Jethro Tull. Theyre like... ... ... happy soft metal. If that makes any sense to you. Regardless, they are an excellent group, and one I would recommend to any music lover, and deserving to be held in the ranks of other great bands like Opeth, Necrophagist, or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Ask your dad about Jethro Tull.

Comment

Yeah it's freakin crazy that you don't listen to them, being the big metal fan you are.

Comment

I'll take a listen, since their are supposedly some type of metal.

Comment

Working...
                              X