No announcement yet.

I'm worried about the book stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about the book stores? I am worried about this entire County (USA).

Comment

Before you know it my job will be gone also. I drive a truck and (VOLVO) has already made a truck that can drive itself and back up into a dock door. They have been testing it for almost a year or so now. So far they are tweaking it and so on. This is all about the rich and nothing for the poor. The rich get richer and the poor people get poorer.

@Wicked_Lord

This is true. These cars are from what I can gather almost 100% efficient in terms of accident prevention. This technology could potentially help save hundreds of thousands of lives each year world wide. It's amazing technology to be sure. Its one of the areas in life that our evolutionary adaptations have not well equip us for (Driving). But it will be a long time coming before it is cheap enough to be a normal addition to any family car for those long road trips. But we will most certainly see it very soon in military and commercial applications. When I was driving trucks long haul I almost fell asleep twice! My god it was the scariest two moments of my life when you have almost 80,000 lbs in the trailer. Oh and I remember going down mountains in Colorado praying that I wouldn't ever need to use those off ramps full of gravel. I saw many of inexperienced truckers smoke and glow their brakes all the way down because they didn't properly downshift or use the right gear.

I'd be happy with a system like this. And although it would eliminate the need for a large majority of drop and go freight, I still see the need for an onboard driver in many cases. Just a driver with some computer and engineering experience. Time to hit the books!

Comment

Folks, I appreciate your replies. I think that the more technology we have, the less responsible we are. I think the main reason we have vehicles that drive themselves is because some people enjoy texting while driving. I don't want to sound so negative. There are some good things about technology. Many students learn mathematics and sciences faster with the aid of technology. If you played around with some equations on a tablet, you should know exactly what I'm talking about. I think that more and more universities and colleges should accept technology in the classrooms. I think that students should write tests and exams on computers. We live in a wonderful century. Next topic, yes it is true, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The good news is: we live in capitalist countries. The bad news is: we live in capitalist countries. But capitalism is still a million times better than communism, in my opinion. Under communism, only governments would be making major gains. Look at the common citizens... Communism does not make everyone equal; communism makes everyone equally poor.
        "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

John Oliver smashed the shit out of that subject Wicked!
          No offense to any Brits here, but I don't think Americans should be listening to Brits about what is best for us. :/ Last time I checked they weren't doing all that well. Also they had a colonization empire for a large portion of its history. America was probably the only modern day country that actually founded itself on wealth creation and not plunder and conquest. We are also the only remaining superpower and still (for now) have the biggest and most influential economy. We simply have gone a stray from our founding principles. We have been since 1797. :/

“Give me your tired, your poor,
          Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
          The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
          Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
          I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

― Emma Lazarus

If we want to thrive again before we fall for good we will need to get back to our founding which allowed for so many to come to this great nation, thrive, innovate, invent, create prosperity and wealth. This country is hardly about freedom anymore. And ultimately we have done it to ourselves. If history has taught us anything about nations it's that once they fall from grace they never return. Just ask the Greeks, Romans, Mongols, French, Spaniards, etc. But it's not too late to get it back! Go USA.
          Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-31-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalLove View Post
            @Wicked_Lord

This is true. These cars are from what I can gather almost 100% efficient in terms of accident prevention. This technology could potentially help save hundreds of thousands of lives each year world wide. It's amazing technology to be sure. Its one of the areas in life that our evolutionary adaptations have not well equip us for (Driving). But it will be a long time coming before it is cheap enough to be a normal addition to any family car for those long road trips. But we will most certainly see it very soon in military and commercial applications. When I was driving trucks long haul I almost fell asleep twice! My god it was the scariest two moments of my life when you have almost 80,000 lbs in the trailer. Oh and I remember going down mountains in Colorado praying that I wouldn't ever need to use those off ramps full of gravel. I saw many of inexperienced truckers smoke and glow their brakes all the way down because they didn't properly downshift or use the right gear.

I'd be happy with a system like this. And although it would eliminate the need for a large majority of drop and go freight, I still see the need for an onboard driver in many cases. Just a driver with some computer and engineering experience. Time to hit the books!
            Cheap ass training is why trucker's smoke their brakes. You must follow the rule of the road when driving an 18 wheeler. ALL TRUCKS must drop 2 gears then normal when going down a hill or follow the speed limit suggested for going down a steep grade or long grade. I however am not stupid and know better then to kill myself because i want to haul ass down a mountain. I drive I-80 from PA > WI 10 days straight and in PA there are pretty good grades and pulls and i take precaution on them even though i can drive them with my eye's closed.

Comment

@Wicked_Lord

I use to do PA to CA! I-80 all the way baby! Also I just did steep downgrade like a newbie and just stuck with it. I always come down the same gear I use to go up. It's slow but gets the job done. No need to adjust gears for most grades that way.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalLove View Post
                @Wicked_Lord

I use to do PA to CA! I-80 all the way baby! Also I just did steep downgrade like a newbie and just stuck with it. I always come down the same gear I use to go up. It's slow but gets the job done. No need to adjust gears for most grades that way.
                That is a rule of thumb also.. Same gear down as up. However i find it nuts sometimes to go same gear down as up only due to the fact that depending on the weight of your load I can easily find myself in 3rd-4th gear running 25mph uphill... I've gone through all 48 states and Canada..

Loveland pass on US 6 in Colorado is pretty bad
                Donner's pass we all know is bad (winter time)
                Vail is not that bad except the chain laws in winter
                Cabbage in Oregon sucks also...

Been across plenty of bad area's for mountains, nothing new to me i just roll on through and i quote (as safely as possible).

Comment

Nothing wrong with e-books IMO. I look at it the same way I look at buying games through Steam vs going to the store and buying a physical copy. It's much faster (depending on internet connection anyway... faster for most folks who are gamers I imagine), more convenient, more reliable (no disc to get ruined), no physical space being taken up by physical media... and so on.

Same thing with books. An e-book can never be lost, doesn't take up any space, and you can carry a whole library in your hand... same thing as Steam, IMO.

Of course it can take jobs away from people in the physical books business... but new jobs would be created in the e-book business in their place, along with other benefits. Nobody is tearing down trees, burning up fuel with big huge vehicles and all that... instead the product is available on all sorts of devices most people have anyway... computers, phones, tablets and what have you.

We live in a changing environment... therefore we must change with the environment. We can adapt, we are not stuck on one single thing and have to be that way forever... even as far as personality. I am not today the same person I was in the past. And I don't have the same job I used to either... and I know things I didn't before, and have forgotten things I used to know.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Google is doing some same-day book delivery thing, I think. The difference is, their runners/couriers buy the books from *local* shops.

Comment

Same repeating story of the modern age... for example, I used to work at a video rental store. I quit to move out of town, but Redbox had just started up around then, and I was startled to see a machine doing my job.

One idea is that machines will do most jobs in the future, but I worry about what most people will do for money. The super rich would love for us to starve to death so they could have more room, so I don't see a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
                        Same repeating story of the modern age... for example, I used to work at a video rental store. I quit to move out of town, but Redbox had just started up around then, and I was startled to see a machine doing my job.

One idea is that machines will do most jobs in the future, but I worry about what most people will do for money. The super rich would love for us to starve to death so they could have more room, so I don't see a solution.
                        the blue collar work force aren't chumps though,and they easily outnumber the upper tiers of high society. the white collar's can't exist without the blue collar's,they might try,but they'll fail miserably.

Let's say our sun spits out a insanely powerful CME our way, and it happens in the middle of winter,knocks out the modern age of electronics/infastructure.

Do you think that high society knows how to split wood? Kill an animal,clean it,and feed their families? WELL FUCK NO,they know how to place an order brah!

Dude I can catch a fish with :

-some tangled fishing line,found at the river bank (wherever fishing is heavily done. There is always someone getting hung up and is just like fuck it, cuts the line,puts another hook on the line/lure,whatever.)

-cigarette butt filter's (when you fray them you can mimic a small critter,big fish eats smaller critter)

-a fn stick (they are everywhere,save for city dwellers)

I know this for a fact because when I was younger,I done EXACTLY that,I've got experience with those three items,all readily available at the river bank or anywhere if you look hard enough.and cost's $0.00 to you.but ,in the event of a CME just as pure example, I could always fall back onto that experience from my youth just hanging out in the woods. I'm a smoker so cigarette butts are ready to go,Bic lighters don't get thrown away,I have an 'apocalypse drawer' full of either almost dead lighters or dead lighter's,but every one has a striker + flint. fuck rubbing sticks together brah..... hell,a fluidless lighter with its flint/striker wheel intact could be considered currency,since it could be the difference between a campfire or freezing yourass off!

The trick is, the fish will bite it,and you gotta sink the hook the moment you feel the tug or see it go after it. Fish are dumb but not so dumb to swallow a nasty ass cigarette butt.....people are genious when you put them in a position of having to do for themselves.

The rich would starve out well before I starve out,and something tells me that Fish&Game won't be patrolling river banks in the event of a massive crumbling of modern society. That's what living on the cusp of poverty does,but nothing I don't mind. Living a hard time TODAY prepares you for an even HARDER TIME TOMORROW.

I can't clean an animal, I haven't had a direct NEED to know, but I know people who do know how,and I do not doubt that they would teach me.

Also,a bit of info for the future if shit does ever hit the proverbial fan,the looting of grocery stores will be immediate,fuck that,what you want to go hit is the GNC/Vitamin store,they will have powerbars and other nice stuff that would help you sustain a healthy intake of vitamins and minerals,all the shit the body needs.

The average person will think food shortage,and where does food come from for practically everyone? A Grocery store, that simple minded thinking will be the down fall of the rich for reals. While chaos ensues in the canned good aisle/dried food aisle,I'll most likely face less opposition or competition for those resources found at a health store/vitamin shop than the ones everyones accustom to,that place food comes from.

You're welcome for those two out-of-box thinking suggestions

ps : yea,untangling fishing line is a major pain in the ass,but completely doable. 3 items to put fresh caught protien in to your belly? Pfft, I don't mind dealing with tangled fishing line for good eatin.

-end rant-
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

On topic of books, since I don't really feel educated enough to be talking socioeconomics

but if I couldn't buy physical books, I'd be deeply upset, for I LOVE to read. I love to read almost as much as I love playing video games c: (currently reading the mist)
                          twitch
                          wew lad

Comment

It's not just the rich that are out of touch with reality. I would argue better than half the human population would not last long without some form of electrical power, if not more. Every facet of society depends on energy, and the level of energy required to keep it running comes from finite resources.
                            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by RL Clown View Post
                              Life is an evil game of balance... If you gain something, you lose something.
                              In the 1800s, your whole family could be wiped out from cholera spread by sharing drinking implements and watch your whole family die for no reason and seemingly no cause.

Relatively speaking, you worry about your nostalgia.

Which is a problem only wealthy people have. People with real problems don't have things like that on the top of their list.

This doesn't make sense... Some people are losing their jobs. The big owners of technological companies are constantly making profit. Some people are living on welfare. In contrast, some people are riding in limos, smoking cigars, and posing with some hot chicks. Life is not fair. We live in a cruel world. But sometimes we should laugh and move on...
                              Fair in what way? You presume those people's lives are better than your own.

Perhaps they are surrounded by weasels and have to work twice as hard to stay where they are, never getting to take a break?

Meanwhile, some guy with lots of job security locked up in a Chinese iPod factory would probably love to be living in North America in a job with only slight job security. Think about that the next time you are driving down the road, smashing the life out of bugs that hit your windshield and eating a sandwich made from some cow or chicken that lived its entire life caged with no hope of freedom.

I'm not directing this towards you, but self-pity is the sin of douchebags in the Western world. The king of Babylonia or the Pharaoh of Egypt have not had lives so easy as yours. If you see my point ...
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOXQo7nURs0]Experience the power of a bookbook? - YouTube[/ame]

Take that, e-book.
                                Scout's Journey
                                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                                X