I'm worried about the book stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm worried about the book stores

With the rise of technology, how will book stores sell books? Take a look around... By common sense, many people are downloading books. Many people are reading books on computers, tablets, and even cell-phones. I know that several folks are going to say that this is a good thing, because we are no longer cutting down trees. We're actually saving paper. But the bad news is many people are slowly damaging their eye-sight. I wear contact lenses and even I am concerned. That being said, I am also worried about the employees... More technology means less book stores. Less book stores means less employees. Life is an evil game of balance... If you gain something, you lose something. If you lose something, you gain something. But life is good. This doesn't make sense... Some people are losing their jobs. The big owners of technological companies are constantly making profit. Some people are living on welfare. In contrast, some people are riding in limos, smoking cigars, and posing with some hot chicks. Life is not fair. We live in a cruel world. But sometimes we should laugh and move on...
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Many people are worried about the book stores :-s

I really like reading books, and IMO there is nothing like a real book. The feel, the smell, the comfort. You can read a book anywhere. It doesn't require electricity and there is no fear of losing it or having it stolen (unless it's an expensive one.) You can write in it with a pencil. You can put bookmarks in there. You can even dry it if it gets wet. You can probably tell that I like real bookshops.

Paper can be recycled today, which helps with the tree thing. In Germany, every house has a recycling paper bin - you're not just throwing it in with the other trash.

The real tree killer are daily newspapers :-s

And the real killer of bookstores isn't Amazon, it is the low level of education.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
      Many people are worried about the book stores :-s

I really like reading books, and IMO there is nothing like a real book. The feel, the smell, the comfort. You can read a book anywhere. It doesn't require electricity and there is no fear of losing it or having it stolen (unless it's an expensive one.) You can write in it with a pencil. You can put bookmarks in there. You can even dry it if it gets wet. You can probably tell that I like real bookshops.

Paper can be recycled today, which helps with the tree thing. In Germany, every house has a recycling paper bin - you're not just throwing it in with the other trash.

The real tree killer are daily newspapers :-s

And the real killer of bookstores isn't Amazon, it is the low level of education.

On the plus side, most paper comes from tree farm's,they plant every year, and have a continuous cycle of tree's, exactly how it should be. slightly off subject, anyone ever drove by a paper mill? looool holy stink!
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

too right!

Nothing beats having a physical book! Cozy up with some hot tea and a good book and i'm happy! But admittedly I buy most of my books online now via Amazon Kindle or similar. But it's just not the same, yeah know? Having said that, I am not necessarily afraid for bookstores. Most companies will either move to a different market. Companies are good at looking at trends and adapting or they fail. That is the way of things. The most affected will be people whom work in these industries but they will need to adapt to the changes to. People as individuals just have a harder time doing that. As a society we tend to move with the tide so to speak and that's basically how we've been innovating since the stone age. If anything I am excited to see what lies ahead.

As for recycling... Well even though it's more efficient now than it ever was it's not a 1 for 1 exchange. Meaning it cost more energy to recycle for the most part than it does to produce the product. A lot can be done to make this better but I think people forget the first two R's. Re-purpose and Reuse. This cost ZERO impact because no energy need be used to recycle when you reuse it or re-purpose it. Recycling really should be the last resort.

Comment

True enough...

One problem with the tree farms is also that they are monocultures. Meaning, they culture / plant only ONE THING across huge areas.

This is bad for so many reasons. It is bad for insects and other animals who need a diversity of trees or plants to survive (and remember, insects is largely how plants procreate - no insects, no more trees.) It is bad for animals who need certain trees to live. It also makes the one kind of tree really susceptible to sicknesses etc. - infecting one out of 1,000,000 identical trees is enough, it will spread like a wildfire. Finally, it isn't good for the land if it is used so intensely. Blah blah. You got the point...

Monocultures suck.

So yeah, there is a good reason to use less paper. :-s I might have to get used to e-books eventually.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

So far this year I bought more than 90 books. This year I bought a lot, because I wanted to complete the works of roberto bolaño and jorge luis borges -my favorite writers- even unsuccessfully- annually I buy something like 100 . I never bought an e-book because I have no credit card, or tablet.

I do not know the prices used in other countries, but here you can buy, with a price of approximately 8-10 dollars a book of two hundred pages. Classics are always the cheapest-and you never finish having all the classics on your library- aprox 5-6 dollars. The best-seller (50 shades of gray, game of thrones, and other bullshit) are more expensive ($ 30 aprox).

Anyway I think that buying books is the best you can do if you are reading
            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

A great alternative to avoid the use of trees is using hemp. I speak not of the marijuana plant, but the current hemp. It is an annual plant requires little water and the fiber is more resistant. This plant was banned precisely because of its extreme similarity to cannabis sativa. And the power groups that managed this prohibition were the owners of forests.

syluxman2803

Comment

yeah, banning hemp was pretty stupid. All kinds of things can be made out of it.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hemp is also terrific for materials making like clothes, rope, etc! Hell they unbanned it twice for the two world wars. :/ It's much more productive than cotton and doesn't require the same amount of crop rotation and deplete the soil. :/ I just don't get it really. It's such a useful product.

Comment

... but... but... dr00gs!!111

Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

if someone discovers that the grass is useful for creating fiber paper or create a sustito for oil, they invent some excuse to ban it, or ban the use

syluxman2803

Comment

Books... Yes!

I would much rather have a real book in my hand vs. the digital books they have now. Call me old fashioned but I enjoy reading more that way. Now and days people can virtually walk around with a library just on a cellphone. With the advance in technology there is no telling what is going to emerge in the future.
                        Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

speaking of books

I recommend this documentary to anyone who might be interested ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxIveocxjM]Google and the World Brain - trailer English - YouTube[/ame]
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by RL Clown View Post
                            With the rise of technology, how will book stores sell books? Take a look around... By common sense, many people are downloading books. Many people are reading books on computers, tablets, and even cell-phones. I know that several folks are going to say that this is a good thing, because we are no longer cutting down trees. We're actually saving paper. But the bad news is many people are slowly damaging their eye-sight. I wear contact lenses and even I am concerned. That being said, I am also worried about the employees... More technology means less book stores. Less book stores means less employees. Life is an evil game of balance... If you gain something, you lose something. If you lose something, you gain something. But life is good. This doesn't make sense... Some people are losing their jobs. The big owners of technological companies are constantly making profit. Some people are living on welfare. In contrast, some people are riding in limos, smoking cigars, and posing with some hot chicks. Life is not fair. We live in a cruel world. But sometimes we should laugh and move on...
                            Before you know it my job will be gone also. I drive a truck and (VOLVO) has already made a truck that can drive itself and back up into a dock door. They have been testing it for almost a year or so now. So far they are tweaking it and so on. This is all about the rich and nothing for the poor. The rich get richer and the poor people get poorer.

Comment

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfgSEwjAeno]Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Wealth Gap (HBO) - YouTube[/ame] , John Oliver smashed the shit out of that subject Wicked!

Comment

Working...
                              X