Werewolf plant discovered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werewolf plant discovered!

Fucking amazing.... this plant relies on the lunar cycles.... and has no optical functioning anatomy? epic.....

Werewolf plant waits for the light of the full moon - life - 01 April 2015 - New Scientist

That coolness ranking is right up there with the article I posted a year or two ago about Dung Beetles, and how they use the milkyway ways abundant stars to navigate their world...

Dung Beetles Navigate by the Milky Way | Science/AAAS | News

Mind blown ^ 9000, again....!
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

That's neat.
    Wait, but how does it know when the moon is full with no photoreceptors..?

Comment

Woah. The only thing that could make this better is if it actually looked like a werewolf.
      Quake is for nerds.

Comment

Nature is very fascinating, and I'm sure we don't know everything yet.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Well, here it my take on it.... the plant is capable of photosynthesis.(I assume all plants do this?) With this in mind, I believe it is able to detect a peak in dimmer levels of light, the "low peak" being a full moon,and high peaks being sunlight.'

Another idea? Lunar cycles are well known to make funny business with our shorelines (Tides) , it doesn't seem far fetched that the plant could key in the gravitational pull the moon has on the plant , which seems a bit more plausible than detecting the minute difference between say dawn,dusk,and the lighting levels that a full moon can provide.

dawn and dusk timing COULD very well match the lighting levels, but it would still be missing the gravity of a full moon,and this would be very short moments of same light level versus an entire night of lunar gravitation pull + specific lighting.

<3 science
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The cycle might just be programmed into the plant? Otherwise there might be specific insect activity or amount of ambient light vs direct light, temperature, all kinds of things.

The moon cycle is pretty interesting in many ways. There is such a thing as a lunar calendar and trees or weeds are traditionally harvested at certain moon phases because they have more sap or whatever. The sap thing also matches the drops here.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

well that's neat. another wrinkle for my brain. (when i saw the title i thought of some crazy Venus fly trap type thing lol)
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
                well that's neat. another wrinkle for my brain. (when i saw the title i thought of some crazy Venus fly trap type thing lol)
                I laughed when you mentioned "crazy Venus fly trap type thing". The werewolf plant is dope and awesome.
                "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                X