Heads Up To Solecord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Up To Solecord

There are a LOT of "users" in the members list that have zero posts and haven't been here in years. Some of these accounts are obviously total bullshit, others may have been serious at one time but they never came back (in years).

I know this isn't really an "issue" but, when you can't remember an entire name all this extra fluff makes it even more complicated to search the list. I would be willing to bet that almost a quarter of the members in the list don't even have 1 post.

Anyway, that's all.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Have a 3 months cut off date on accounts if they haven't even made a single post... If having an account is that serious to them I would suggest they participate in the community as nobody needs an account to lurk.

I can't stand seeing a bunch of "empty accounts" like this... I know there are a couple small benefits to having an account like I use the "New Posts" link to see all the new posts on the forum and private messaging...

It just adds more clutter to the people who use the member list and or work the back-end.

Leave accounts with posts in place (encase they come back) and boot the ZERO posters opver 3 months! People make accounts to participate.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Half of the accounts are spam accounts. I've purged the member list in the past, just haven't done so lately.

Comment

Yeah, I remember the last purge. It was like 4 years ago. I remember cause I wasn't an anything here and I didn't have many posts. I was a little worried that my account would get purged.

Comment

ah, i remember the purge like it was yesterday
          Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

good idea.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I have purged roughly 1,100 accounts. Accounts with 0 posts and no activity in the past year were all removed as well as accounts that were awaiting email confirmation.

Sorry if I deleted your account and you were using it.

Comment

sometimes people just read the forums; if you sign up it's easier to read what's new since last visit.
                  Last edited by R00k; 04-26-2015, 04:29 PM.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    sometimes people just read the forums; if you sign up it's easier to read what's new since last visit.

Makes me wonder if QuakeOne.com has an RSS function?

That would be helpful for lurkers with accounts (Zero poster accounts) who just want an easier way to view new posts.
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      True, but I removed accounts who haven't logged in for over a year.... Probably 95% of the accounts were spam accounts.

Comment

@rss

I wished for such for a long time. I have already built the feed reader. Currently it only has use if you download your PMs as xml. I never shared it cause I couldn't figure out how to auto-link it to any given account. I asked solecord once if there was some api I could tap into but, I never got a response so, I assumed that meant no.

There is probably some way for me to use a remote server and php to accomplish this with some kind of $_GET, but I don't like making apps that rely on "3rd party" servers to be used as a work around.

Of course javascript and/or vanilla flash won't work due to the cross-domain security restrictions. Solecord could of course write a policy file that allows ajax requests from trusted locations but, that may require a lot more work than simply writing a policy... depending on how the server is configured.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I thought I posted the RSS feed URL already once...

http://quakeone.com/external.php?type=rss

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                            I thought I posted the RSS feed URL already once...

http://quakeone.com/external.php?type=rss
                            Cool! I must have missed that post.

I'd like to see some API integration so at least the forums can be accessed via JSON. I know this is probably never going to happen but JSON would allow fine grained access to things like Post title all the way down to how many views a post has and who's viewing it.

That would also give other sites the ability to display and share content if they wanted to from QuakeOne.com and could even go as far as QuakeOne.com having it's own APP (though JSON isn't technically needed to make an app directly, many other applications exist for that).

I haven't found any decent JSON wrapper for vbulletin however. :/
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Comment

Working...
                            X