Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memorial day

to all those who served, alive or passed, thank you for your sacrifice

also to all those who braved the hellish forces of quake! alive, fragged, or driven insane, thanks for your service.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

I am obviously late for this thread, but this is a very important topic... Yes, we need to remember the courageous men and women who fought for freedom and justice. The people who refuse to remember the past are forced to repeat it... The good guys have won in the past; I hope that they will win in the future. I hope that, one day, the good forces will put an end to terrorism and dictatorship. May everyone enjoy democracy...
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Shouldn't you guys also be just a tad self critical while you remember your fallen? I think you have reason to be.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

i really don't see why i would need to be. other that something like "i should vote more, and use my freedom that they died for"
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
          Shouldn't you guys also be just a tad self critical while you remember your fallen? I think you have reason to be.
          We are worlds apart conjoined by the internet, go google Decoration Day,and then explain the motive behind your post. I'm honestly curious.

Might as well put it out there so I have a better understanding of where you are coming from before I react/respond.

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
          i really don't see why i would need to be. other that something like "i should vote more, and use my freedom that they died for"
          I just got my voter card in the mail today!
          Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-02-2015, 02:26 PM.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I'm sorry. I don't really understand your point... Are you trying to say that USA, Great Britain, and Russia were somewhat responsible for the cause of World War II? I would be very interested to read your reply...
            "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

i feel like I'm at a funeral, and I'm being told I'm mourning wrong lol.
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
                i feel like I'm at a funeral, and I'm being told I'm mourning wrong lol.
                I'm still chillin with my homie patience. Don't know how long patience will chill with me though.....We don't hang out on purpose very often.

Rather than assume the worse I just wait for a deeper more involved discussion. At face value, it's not worth the revisit apparently.
                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Memorial day may have started after your Civil War, but today it includes all members of your armed forces who died during service.

A lot of your armed forces fought for the wrong thing (Vietnam War, Iraq War.) Invading Iraq was actually uncalled for, the country was more stable before that than it is now. Your government tried to justify that war by telling the world that Hussein had WOMD, which was a lie.

American soldiers raped German women after WW2.

Your guys used the opportunity of having won WW2 to build military bases all over the world, often against the will of the people living there, and some of these bases are today used for e.g. drone warfare (Ramstein in Germany), which could very easily be seen as murder, apart from the fact that they kill lots of innocents.

We can go even further back to Wounded Knee, which was in 1890, way after your Civil War. 25 of your guys died there, so they would also be honoured at Memorial Day?

I'm just saying that someone who dies because they participated in a massacre or in an illegal war, isn't really one of the good guys. And something like a Memorial Day would be a good point in time to remember the bad things, too, IMHO.

And I really thought this would be obvious.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Obvious to who? Me? maybe obvious to "You Guys" as you put it!

I can't believe you buy into "one bad apple ruins the whole bunch" philosophy. Everything you have listed puts a spotlight on the bad, as if good never occurred? Is it wrong to be a proud american? Do you think american's are proud of the things you listed?

So you are saying that on a day set aside for remembering our fallen soldiers we should criticize them?

Is it really that easy to point the finger at my country and your fellow american Quakers from your country?

o_O
                    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-03-2015, 11:08 AM. Reason: last sentence replaced with text face : Memorial Day isn't for you anyway, stop thinking about it. Purge it from your thought

Comment

I needed to put a spotlight on the bad, since everyone here acted as if nothing bad ever happened and all your fallen soldiers were good guys.

No, it's not wrong to have a memorial day, all I was originally saying was that maybe a small portion of self criticism should go along with it, for good reasons I think. Is that such a bad thing?

I'm not shitting on anything, I'm using my right of free speech to comment on something.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

the point is honoring their sacrifice, not looking at the bad eggs.
                        My Avatars!
                        Quake Leagues
                        Quake 1.5!!!
                        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

You didn't need to do anything.

A post made about an american holiday reserved for the fallen soldiers of the US military =/= a direct invitation to critique the holiday,what should happen on that holiday,how that holiday is spent, what the US has done in the past, or present, or the future.

It's a day for remembering the fallen soldiers! thats my humble opinion

Comment

i had no idea that usa holidays were so taboo. I'll keep that in mind next time.
                            My Avatars!
                            Quake Leagues
                            Quake 1.5!!!
                            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

A lot of your armed forces fought for the wrong thing (Vietnam War, Iraq War.)
                              I don't mean to sound offensive, but I have to throw a small jab at you... This is a peaceful jab (a jab being used in a debate). So what did you expect the American forces to do? You expected the American forces to say, "Oh well, whatever, let communism rule Vietnam. It's not our problem; it's someone else's problem. The domino effect is not a big deal."?? And I think that the American forces did many positive things in Iraq. Iraq was being ruled by a very powerful dictatorship. I know that Iraq is not 100% free, but conditions have improved.

Comment

Working...
                              X