Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

win 10 is coming at the end of the month, however it's available in beta format right now. anyone here give it a go yet? how did quake fare on it?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

I reserved my copy for Windows X today, though, I'm concerned about the upgrade's installation process; as i have 3 partions (Linux, Windows 7 (SSD), Windows 7 hd backup)... :/
    Will it dual boot out of the box?
    Will it work with 32-bit Quake engines?
    Will mapping tools work still?

etc..
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
      win 10 is coming at the end of the month, however it's available in beta format right now. anyone here give it a go yet? how did quake fare on it?
      That is a hella good question.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

hopefully well have answers before everyone start bitching about quake not running on 10.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
          hopefully well have answers before everyone start bitching about quake not running on 10.
          DX12 will be the flame that attracts me, the moth gamer, to Win10

When DX11 came out, I was *forced* out of WinXP into Win7. History will repeat itself when it comes to DX12 I promise that much lol!
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Thankfully after windows 10 comes it's good to know all my engines and tools will still working on Linux and windows 7.

A friend was running Windows 10 preview until it glitched out one to many times and he went back to Windows 8. I would guess all that NSA spyware isn't optimized yet, but I'm sure it will be fine by release.

Comment

I read up on it a little, and decided I will wait a year, to see how it does. I assume it will still be free at that time. Windows 7 will be supported until 2020, so I'm not in any hurry.

Regardless of how it turns out, I feel it's time for me to give Linux another go, and try to make that my primary OS.

Comment

gulliver-trans if playing the very latest games is a must then I would say Linux may not be for you, but you can always keep a small Windows 7 partition for those things. After saying that I do play games like Skyrim, Witcher 1 & 2, Fallout NV, Mortal Kombat 9 and many others in Linux via WINE, but currently WINE is limited to any directx rendered game directx 9 or below.

Linux has been my daily driver for almost 2 years now. Surf the webs, edit video, process all my photography, paint, model, etc.. All my old games work pretty much with little fuss and there are tons of great emulators which I love.

The hardest part is finding a linux distribution you like. I wasn't happy and jumped around a lot until I found one I could settle with.
                Last edited by xaGe; 06-02-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Sure I want to buy all new hardware,still dealing with the bullshit from not getting drivers on 7
                  WARNING
                  May be too intense for some viewers.
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                  ---------------------------
                  .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
                    Sure I want to buy all new hardware,still dealing with the bullshit from not getting drivers on 7
                    lack of legacy hardware support has been a common trend that really does annoy me, I lost several usb dongle devices due to this. It became even more pronounced when I made the shift from 32bit windows to 64bit windows.

@xaGe about Ben & Jerry flavor count of Linux haha. I hear elementary OS is slick.

@gulliver The only problem with that scenario is a lack of DX12 on Windows 7, but maybe just maybe there will be some clever people out there who pull off DX12 for Win7 like the attempt to bring DX10 to WinXP awhile back,admittedly it wasn't a full fledged solution and IIRC it wasn't up to par as the actual. Supposedly Win10 will the the last iteration of Windows,we'll see eh?

Comment

Slick like a MAC if you like the Apple look and feel, but it's Ubuntu based and I don't care for that much. Yes there is more to Elementary than looks since they have everything very integrated, but you can at least make any Linux distro GUI look like some variant of a MAC. I prefer to mix and match different components to my liking so starting out with a like minded distro or barebones type install is best for me. Ubuntu is great for beginners and many people use it or one of its derivatives every day, but I'm not one of them. I've been there and done that for a few years and found it felt lacking some how every time I gave it a try.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      I hear elementary OS is slick.

Comment

imo the gui makes or breaks anything, ease of access to the common person will determine whether it takes off or not.

Comment

imo the gui makes or breaks anything...
                          Well in the example of Windows 8 being be used by the general public then yes. They know enough to start it and do a few things, but have little understanding of inner workings. A lot of them don't handle change well either causing w8 to blow a few of there gaskets..lol. Totally Microsoft's blunder truthfully.

Buy a mac if you want to have the os spoon fed or hate choice. Linux is all choice.

Comment

@gulliver The only problem with that scenario is a lack of DX12 on Windows 7[...]
                            Originally posted by xaGe
                            gulliver-trans if playing the very latest games is a must then I would say Linux may not be for you, but you can always keep a small Windows 7 partition for those things
                            It's okay. I don't really play new games anymore. I never get around to upgrading my hardware anyhow.

And yeah -- I'll keep some kind of Windows partition around.

Comment

I'm the same in a way. I upgrade every 3 years or more, but most the games I play are from around 1980 to 1999 with some newer stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X