Flat Earth Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Earth Discussion

I know some of you may automatically consider this a non-issue - already solved science. I have recently found interest in this subject and I have to admit that some very convincing arguments can be made regarding a flat earth. I'm not, by any means, claiming that I believe the Earth is flat. I cannot attest beyond the shadow of all doubt that it is round either, however.

What are your thoughts/beliefs/"facts" regarding this subject? For funsies, anyone attempting to create a solid and definitive argument for a rotund earth will be met with an attempt, by me, to prove a flat earth. I do not fully subscribe to the flat earth model but, for interest and entertainment purposes I will argue it as if I do.

Let's keep this friendly and fun.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

The horizon means the surface of where you are wouldn't be flat.

The shadow of the Earth is seen on the moon, and Earth's shadow on the moon is round.

Day and night become difficult to explain. I wonder how they thought it worked back in ancient times.

But if you go real "hardcore" you can't definitively prove anything because you rely on trusting your observations, your instruments, etc. and you have to trust your memory.

But if the "hardcore" fears are true, you have a bigger problem than whether the Earth is flat -- because something is actively messing with you -- government experiment/captured by aliens/supernatural being playing with you/some sci-fi movie theme horror.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

i get that feeling everytime the phone rings; do they know me, or just want to know me... !
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Are you kidding me? Everyone knows the Earth is a dodecahedron.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Is_Flat

Sorry no issue ... The First evidences date back to 1400 and even early. Sailers sailing south were able to see different stars in the sky.

Later the American continent was discovered, more or less 40 years after Magellano was able to able to leave and return to Europe by sailing only West.

The final scientific proof was given by the Galileo's turning pendulum in Pisa.

Comment

I think the flat-earth arguments began as an exercise in a philosophy or debate class, but now they are taken as a joke to troll others. However, I hope that after seeing something "obvious" challenged, people will look into their own beliefs and studies better.

So, enjoy this thought experiment: Without going too far into the deep end with Baker, in whether the world exists or not, how can one person sitting in their house prove to themselves that the world is round? One can obviously believe stuff on the internet (or other people), but that's not proof. It seems that in this format, the seasons can prove only that the movements between Earth and the sun are not uniform. Far as I know, one must make a satellite camera or travel thousands of miles, which are not possible for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
              So, enjoy this thought experiment: Without going too far into the deep end with Baker, in whether the world exists or not, how can one person sitting in their house prove to themselves that the world is round?
              I wasn't going off the deep end actually.

One of basis themes of philosophy and math is what you can prove and what you can't prove. (i.e. "parallel lines never cross" is a postulate in geometry, accepted without proof in geometry because is impossible to prove).

I was more saying if you want to jump the down the rabbit hole of absolute proof, the conversation is likely to be lame.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to put your idea down; I was trying to keep away from the idea that proving anything outside your head should be a challenge in this instance.

Comment

Many things are still a wonder and mystery. Believe what you want. I still do not believe we have been to the moon either, If that were true why have we not been back? Why have we been trying to figure out how to get there if we have already been there? Flat earth, square earth, round earth, no one will ever win this debate.

Comment

I'm 99.999999999999999999% positive that we live on a sphere. I really don't buy into a lot of conspiracy theories, solely for living my life believing what I want to believe. Who cares if the planet is run by German shepherds from the Twilight Zone? I just wanna spend my life watching Godzilla movies and listening to Pink Floyd. Is that too much to ask?

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Honestly I really like these questions. Sure I can say the earth is round, but it's the kind of abstract thinking that really helps in problem solving. Not really much useful input, I just think sometimes coming up with wrong answers can actually help create new ways to look at other situations.
                      twitch
                      wew lad

Comment

I'm awfully sorry for doing this to you - I hate when people do this in forums or mail - but I felt like I needed to tell something about it:

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        (i.e. "parallel lines never cross" is a postulate in geometry, accepted without proof in geometry because is impossible to prove)
                        geometry - Prove that 'lines are parallel if they don't intersect' with a suitable diagram - Mathematics Stack Exchange

There are certainly things in math that are still unexplained, but they're, as they say, few are far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Izhido_ View Post
                          I'm awfully sorry for doing this to you - I hate when people do this in forums or mail - but I felt like I needed to tell something about it:

There is math in "idea space" and then there is math as it applies in reality.

In "idea space" parallel lines are a truism. Because in imaginary "idea space" space the definition of parallel lines is specifically that they don't intersect.

In the real world, do parallel lines intersect?

Well -- we don't know. "Idea space" math lives in an imaginary place governed by Euclidean geometry specifically because that it is ruleset in that "idea space" ---

--- which A nice place where Isaac Newton's definitions of physics work and don't need to be bothered with any of that Einstein mumbo jumbo.

In the place where we exist, one thing we already know --- Euclidean geometry is a close approximation to what we see on a short scale.

And we conclusively know Euclidean geometry is not what we see on small scales or large scales.

So do parallel lines intersect? In theory they don't, in practice we can't say which is one reason why NASA did measurements to try to measure the flatness or lack of flatness of the universe.

I know you meant "idea space" math --- but "idea space" math only as useful as it works in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMaster View Post
                            I'm 99.999999999999999999% positive that we live on a sphere. I really don't buy into a lot of conspiracy theories, solely for living my life believing what I want to believe. Who cares if the planet is run by German shepherds from the Twilight Zone? I just wanna spend my life watching Godzilla movies and listening to Pink Floyd. Is that too much to ask?
                            I once had a short two dimensional discussion about a flat-earth but then I moved on to three dimensional thinking and overcame it.

All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

The end.
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I'm sorry I never debated anyone here about flat earth like I said I would. I had decided that Baker was the only person I would not debate and he was the first to reply. It's not because I am not confident in debating baker. I have debated him many times. It's because I knew this debate with Baker would be very time consuming... too time consuming for a toss around theory that I don't necessarily believe.

Actually the only thing appealing to me regarding flat earth theory is that a flat earth implies that we are not evolved random chance beings. If the earth is flat and truly separated from the waters by a firmament we were very specifically put here. The god of that world is the god of a people not of a random chance universe. In other words, if this earth is a sphere within one of billions of galaxies God couldn't give 2 shits about you because you were an accident to begin with.
                              Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-05-2016, 04:03 PM.
                              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                              X