Where have I been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have I been?

Well, a lot has happened since I was last a regular visitor here. Lost my awesome job due to company downsizing (fuck), went back to school for network administration, and had a baby! Wow, right? What brought me back? Well, if my calendar senses are correct, Quake is (or will be soon) 20 years old! WHOA...dude, it feels like just a short little while ago I was doing my first podcast show to celebrate the 10 year anniversary on these very forums. Of course, it doesn't feel like such a short time ago, but I do vividly remember picking up Quake for the first time and gibbing my first Grunt 19 years ago (I was a bit late to the game).

So what about y'all? How has everyone else been? Any memories you feel like bringing up about Quake's milestone moments?

Hi DeathKnight
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sorry to hear about your job, hopefully you turn for a bigger gig in the future.

Congrat's on the baby, enjoy those baby year's while you can!

Memory of Quake. I was recently dusting/cleaning around the house and I have not seen my Quake CD in years, I had searched everywhere but apparently one place. I seen 2 boxes sitting in my walk in closet with some folded clothing on them and I thought to myself, "why did my wife just sit there here?" Well, glad she did. I put the clothing away where it belongs and decided to pull out those 2 boxes and go through them to refresh my memory on what is in them, Well i'll be damned, QUAKE CD, QUAKE 2 CD, QUAKE 3 CD all right in the box. I pull them out dust them off and now they are with my other gaming CD's. Memories!

Comment

Luckyyy.
        I lost my original 1996 quake cd in 2000-2004... somewhere in there...

Comment

DK! Welcome back. Congrats on the kid and losing a job that thought you were downsize material.

@memories: I remember the day I read "You find yourself in E1M1" from beginning to end.
          @milestone: I was banned and unbanned from here. I think that's pretty important.

Woah, this thread is over a month old? How the hell did I miss this? I'm sorry I missed this.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-02-2016, 12:06 AM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

May!!! :0 2016 is a year fast paced without lag
            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

I was very late to the Quake world. I didn't have a machine capable of running it until 2000 - and that was a Nintendo 64. The port may be lacking compared to the PC game but I still remember first switching on the console and being blown away. A real 3D world with a smooth framerate and dynamic game-play?! The 3D modelling just added a tangibility to the game that I'd never experienced. Not having mouse input wasn't an issue for me as I'd never had it before so didn't feel the controls were gimped.

I spent many an hour lost in that brown and grey world inside that little machine. Still listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis too.

Such a good time.

PS: I know it's not a patch on playing Quake for the first time but congratulations on the baby.
              I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Comment

Welcome back. Pull up a chair and tell the young ones a story about the past.

Comment

Once upon a time, there was a guy with a big gun. He fought demons, monsters, aliens, and zombies, and brought peace to the world. Then, some time later, another guy with a big gun did the same thing and brought peace to the world again. And around and around we go.

Comment

Working...
                  X