Another thread about aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake.

"Could" aliens exist? Sure. I don't believe in creationism or any of that religious crap. I believe in science because the scientific method PROVES things. If this planet and the life on it sprang forth from simple celled enzymes in water, then why couldn't or wouldn't it happen elsewhere under similar conditions? It is possible. HOWEVER...

(And this is where my own personal opinion comes into play, I have nothing more than an educated guess to base this on) I think it's also entirely possible that life DOES NOT exist anywhere else in the entire universe, and here is why I think that possibility is most likely true. The universe is "almost" eternal and "virtually" infinite. (It's been theorized that the vast space in the universe is actually curved and overlaps back to itself like a circle, and that would actually make space "finite".) It takes a LOOOOOONG time for life to form and evolve to anything similar in intelligence to us, or at least it does on THIS planet, and it would probably be the same elsewhere. In relation to the virtual eternity of time in the universe, life on THIS planet will really only last a very very short time. In another 6 or 7 billion years, our star (the Sun) will become a red giant and consume this planet along with several others in our solar system. Billions of years are like single rain drop in an ocean when considering how old the universe is right now and even moreso how old it will be before it is destroyed by whatever means (expansion, contraction, cataclysm, etc). If you look at the population rates of humans, it seems likely that we will suffer an extinction event due to other things before our stars red giant phase vaporizes us, much less before the universe as we know it ends. I think life on this planet is virtually a "miracle" and a very very very rare thing in the universe. Conditions must be absolutely perfect for it to occur. Things must happen at certain times, certain elements must be present or introduced at the perfect time, etc etc. What if we ARE alone? When considering the virtually eternal nature of "time", it seems more likely to me that life happens in one single place, then it dies out, then there is a long period of no life before conditions happen somewhere else that lead to it.

Another interesting thing to consider...

Ever read Micromegas by Voltaire? Regardless of whether or not life exists RIGHT NOW somewhere else in the universe... what if that life occurs on a MASSIVE planet orbiting a MASSIVE star where both the size of the star and the size of the life bearing planet are 2000 times larger than our earth and our sun. If humans evolved there, it stands to reason that these humans would likely be 2000 times larger than us. I am 6 feet tall on this planet. But if I were born on that planet, I could be TWELVE THOUSAND FEET TALL! If these other life forms exist in the universe... do we really wanna go fucking with them and letting them know where we are?

In that regard, HOLY FUCK do I ever hope that we are indeed alone in the universe right now. Because more than likely we wouldn't be the bigger badder species.
    Last edited by Focalor; 08-22-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
      everything everyone has said on here is pure speculation.
      No more speculation than what you said. And I think my stance is more realistic than yours IMHO.

Based on the trends we've seen on earth
      Precisely. On Earth. We know zip about life on other planets and drawing conclusions from knowing so little is the opposite of the scientific method. All we can do at this point is to make hypotheses. In the matter, literally nothing is "pretty safe to say", not even the laws of nature: we've seen plenty of occurrences of the universe breaking its own apparent rules.

If a species has to be in harmony to travel space, harvesting resources off world all of a sudden becomes un-achievable.
      I'm failing to see the logic in that sentence. You don't believe harmony can be achieved but mankind already has taken baby steps in that direction. Sure, we're still an awful long way to go and it will take many centuries, but I think we can achieve that eventually. Hell, we MUST if we're to survive.

even pure communism can't happen because the system is more prone to a dictatorship
      That's why leaders must be accountable and answer to the people, not the other way around. And seriously, do you really think that God Dollar is NOT a dictator to the common people?

I'm an individual, I like doing things my way. Not communist compliant.
      What Phenom said. Also, if you think the point of communism is to sacrifice your individuality, you really don't understand it. As I said, read Marx.
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
        If humans evolved there, it stands to reason that these humans would likely be 2000 times larger than us.
        Actually, if you evolved there you would more than likely be very very flat to counterbalance the effects of high gravity. Also, the size of a planet is not conditioned to the size of its sun. Check out exoplanets. There are much larger planets than Jupiter orbiting red dwarves.
        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
          Actually, if you evolved there you would more than likely be very very flat to counterbalance the effects of high gravity. Also, the size of a planet is not conditioned to the size of its sun. Check out exoplanets. There are much larger planets than Jupiter orbiting red dwarves.
          Maybe. Or maybe not. You already mentioned "the universe breaking it's own rules", perhaps in reference to dark matter, perhaps something else. Anyway, that wasn't the point I was making. The point was that other forms of intelligent life could end up being 2000x larger than us. We like to think they'd be similar to us like grays with two eyes above one mouth on one head, very human looking when you really think about it. But what if life doesn't always follow that format? What if another planets lifeforms resemble some crazy shit like a Timothy Patrick Butler painting or the giant "asshole" judge monster from The Wall, and they harvest us for food like we do to chickens. I believe in science, but I also believe in my own bad luck. My shit luck dictates that if I ever meet an alien, it's soooooo not gonna want to be my friendly little cute Steven Spielberg E.T., it's gonna be really ugly, really big, and really hungry for man flesh.

Comment

Edit: removed.

Tired of debating over stupid shit. I'm just here to play quake.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

NO YOU'RE NOT! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU WERE ALWAYS WRONG! YOU'RE ALWAYS GONNA BE WRONG!

But seriously. Aliens is not even a "debate". The existence of aliens can be proven or disproven about as much as the existence of God can be proven or disproven. We can't currently know that our planet is NOT the only planet capable of producing and sustaining life, so there's really no sense in screaming "Alienhu Ackbar!" and cutting anyones head off with a butter knife over it. We're all merely theoriz-turbating.

On the other hand... Dude! Why did communism have to enter this discussion at all, haha! Saying aliens might be communist is putting the cart before the horse. Let's find out if they exist before we start asking them if they're liberal or conservative.

Comment

This is a lot of food for thought, which is making me hungry (pun intended lol)

Man, if there would be one sci-fi gadget I'd really want, it would be that I think food synthesizer apparatus from Star Trek. It would save me countless trips to the supermarket (and space in my house for food storage lol), and I can just 'tell' the computer what I want. But I'm not sure how healthy it would actually be to eat synthesized food versus real food?lol
                Last edited by Gem; 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM.
                The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Originally posted by Gem View Post
                  ...food synthesizer...

Yeah this was supposed to be a fun and engaging post inquiring other people's ideas and keeping an open mind. :/
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    Yeah this was supposed to be a fun and engaging post inquiring other people's ideas and keeping an open mind. :/
                    Yeah, sorry bout that. I'm partly to blame...I get a little spun up sometimes
                    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Yeah, sorry bout that. I'm partly to blame...I get a little spun up sometimes
                      It's not really anyone's fault, It's a public forum. and Oil doesn't mix very well with water and some times you get the guy who smokes while playing with gas on the forums. Just rollin with the punches!

Though if it were anyone's fault lets blame Sole! He started this years ago!
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Comment

I think that since there are enough planets similar to Earth that can sustain life, it's entirely probable for extra-terrestrial lifeforms to exist out there. The theory that says the conditions to sustain life are qualities only Earth has is basically proven false at this point, for instance there's the case of Kepler-186f which apparently has water and an atmosphere. But, if Earth is truly alone in sustaining life in the universe, I'll gladly be the first to squander any opportunities it has because in the end, we are nothing, you hear me?! WE ARE NOTHING!!!

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMaster View Post
                          I think that since there are enough planets similar to Earth that can sustain life, it's entirely probable for extra-terrestrial lifeforms to exist out there. The theory that says the conditions to sustain life are qualities only Earth has is basically proven false at this point, for instance there's the case of Kepler-186f which apparently has water and an atmosphere. But, if Earth is truly alone in sustaining life in the universe, I'll gladly be the first to squander any opportunities it has because in the end, we are nothing, you hear me?! WE ARE NOTHING!!!
                          Hmm...

Supposedly Earth was seeded via panspermia and it would make sense since Earth was scientifically proven at one point to be a hostile environment no life could survive. BILLIONS of years ago of course...

With that set in place it raises the question, where did the first organisms come from that seeded Earth then? and before that? It's so F'ing baffling to think how much larger the actual big picture could be that I think Human's can't comprehend anything past the tip of the iceberg here.

Even the Big Bang is essentially scientific theory and is only being played that way because everything seems to be moving away from everything else in an expanding motion.

Also for those who don't know, We have not found an end to the actual Universe. We have what is currently called the "Visible universe" which is as far as our primitive satellites can see.

Don't think the road stops with current feeble human technology just because you can't see over the horizon.

Aliens not existing is scientifically illogical, hell... we're "aliens" in some terms. The bigger question is how large is our Universe, once we know that we'll know what it'll take and possibly the best places to look for habitable planets and or life, possibly even intelligent life out there.
                          Last edited by Phenom; 08-24-2016, 10:05 PM.
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Comment

I wonder, if the world was seeded from some bacteria from a meteor,
                            and we do originate from another planet as MG & Phenom already mentioned,
                            then I wonder if it could have been multiple meteors from different places...

That would in some way explain:

Water bears:

Coconut or robber crabs:

Platypus:

Octopus:

Mars bars:

MMMmmm.. Mars bars.
                            You know you can melt a load of them in a pot, pour the mixture onto a tray and it makes a lovely toffee chocolate slice thing.
                            Yum.
                            Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Space is delicious. And so are Mars bars, though personally I prefer Milky Ways. Anyways...

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

this video is fake, because there is no "proof" so solid about abductions, UFO visions, encounters with humanoids etc. This kind of "encounters" are always vague and ridiculous. The perception of this type of stuff is more "subjective" than objective just like hallucinations.

The skeptical attitude is also very stupid. "This is a lie because there is no objective evidence" is as stupid as saying "friendship is a lie because there is no scientific evidence to prove what is friendship and what is not."

When we talk about this we think of it as an extreme or atypěcal case of perception. It is only perception.
                                perception About what? , That if a real enigma. Perhaps something we do not understand under our cultural parameters but naturally there exist as many things exist in nature and are too fleeting to be scientifically analyzed.
                                While hardly the case for extraterrestrial life. Who knows.
                                the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Working...
                                X