No announcement yet.

The Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw MSRP pricing on a few of the Henry's in the catalog and I just said... "Damn, they's proud o' their shit, I guess." The "Original" lists at $2,300 to $2,750, which is just... whoooa, a little too much for me. It's a 44-40 though, not really something I'd look at anyway. Like I said, I'd probably be more interested in a 22mag as a scopeless varmint rifle, and they tend to list those at around 500 bucks, which is way more reasonable considering I won't use it much. And even then, I'd wanna make sure I was comfortable enough with it to be able to get off as many shots as quickly as possible, which... an auto rifle is probably always gonna be a better option. I have several bolt rifles already, but they're a little like overkill for coyotes and better suited for deer.

My absolute favorite is my favorite Browning Xbolt Medallion I picked up several years ago.

And if dinosaurs ever come back... ...I have an old Mauser that will do about as good a job at pulverizing a brontosaurus as it will pulverizing your shoulder when you fire it. No shit, this thing kicks like a cannon. Fires a 7x57mm mauser, and I have no idea what the specifics are on the barrel rifling, but it's GOTTA be something insanely intense. Not too sure about the history on this gun. From what I'm told, my grandfather brought it home with him after he was discharged from the Navy during the Korean War. He was largely stationed in Arizona and Washington as some kind of mechanic, and only briefly ever went into Korea. So how he ended up with a German-made rifle, I have no clue. I don't know 100% for sure that it was made IN Germany though, but from what I've read online, it seems like they were produced in Germany. This one has markings on it that indicate it was probably produced for the Chilean army sometime close to 1900. My grandfather was always into woodworking, and genius that he was... ...he took the original stock off of it and replaced it with something he made himself to convert it into more of a traditional deer rifle. The original stock and everything else is long gone, nobody has any idea what he ever did with it.

Comment

What type of .22 are you looking for?

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15 sport, ruger .22 w/10 round mag, and a Henry STSTE .22 which runs about $800.

Comment

22mag probably. I figure the 22 part will make it super low recoil for getting off a higher number of more accurate shots quickly before they can run away, and the added punch of magnum sized brass will drop them better than regular little sissy 22 rimfires.

I'm pretty much too late in any efforts to run them off and still have the time to condition any deer to come around. Been a while since I checked the regulations on coyote hunting, but I'm pretty sure theres no bag limit still, I dunno about legal dates. I try to be a good boy and follow the DNR rules always... unlike lots of other folks around here. But it looks like it's just gonna be another entire season of staring at oaks and pines and smartassed squirrels laughing at me.

Comment

Yeah, the original henry replica is 100% to original specs, other than the fact the original was chambered for a 44 rimfire. The barrel and magazine tube are the same piece of metal, which is insane to manufacture. What confuses most people though, is that the original Henry rifle was made by a very young Winchester company (wasn't called Winchester yet) in 1860, and was engineered by Benjamin Tyler Henry. The Henry company today is not the same Henry, they just use the name. I think it's kinda cheap, but at the same time, they do justice to these rifles.
          'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Thinking about getting a compact 9mm for carry...all my handguns are full-size and too bulky for t-shirt weather. Any thoughts? I'm usually not a small-caliber/small-frame kinda guy but these pistols do have their advantages. Springfield XDS looks promising.

Comment

I've carried a Taurus 32 magnum snubby revolver for several years. You might think 32cal is a little wimpy, but not really. It doesn't have "devastating" power, but I find that I can be a lot more accurate with it than anything else, which is way more important to me. I used to be downright surgical with the thing because I'd practice with it at least twice a week, but these days I only take it shooting maybe once every month. It's very lightweight (surprisingly so for a magnum), and the barrel is top ported to reduce the upswing a little. 6 shot revolver, which is less than a magazine on a semi-auto. I usually carry a spare speedloader too.

I dunno if I'd recommend it really. 32 h&r magnum ammo isn't the easiest thing to find. Most people who use them often tend to reload their own ammo... I don't... cuz I'm lazy, lol. There used to be an independent sporting goods store several miles away that always kept a plentiful supply of 32h&r just for me, but they closed a couple of years back, and since then I've been having to pay higher prices and play phone tag for a whole day calling every gun store within 100 miles every time I need to restock. Just looked at the Taurus site, and it looks like the rumors I've heard are true, they don't even make a 32magnum revolver anymore, lol. Apparently these things weren't so popular.

They have lots in concealed carry sizes, both semi-auto and revolver. They have these new "Curve" 380's that might be interesting to you. Tac light and laser built in, hip-hugging contour frame, built in belt clip. Not something I'd carry. When I started carrying, shoulder holster was mandatory in my state. I think they allow waistband concealed carry now, but I still only carry with a shoulder holster.

Kimber makes some really nice micro pistols in 9mm and 380, but they aren't cheap. Most of them are shiny steel. Dunno if you're looking for a poly frame pistol or what. Sig has some stuff like the P938's, P290's,... or the P232 if you wanna look like James Bond. Baretta has some decently priced sub-compacts.

Comment

Yeah I don't recall seeing 32 h&r on the store shelves too often...then again, 22LR is a hot commodity these days. I was surprised to find CCI minimags at walmart the other day of all places lol

That Curve definitely looks interesting...but I have to agree, not really my style.

The Kimbers are definitely nice, especially the EMP, but yeah they are pretty pricy.

I might check out that P290...I have a P220 and love it. Sig makes some good shit. Might swing by the sporting goods store today and see if they have one. Thanks for the input.

I also have my eye on the S&W shield, mostly because there's a big rebate on them right now ($75 I think).

Comment

I live in Florida where we have concealed carry but not open carry, which means if someone sees your gun on accident you're going to jail! Hopefully we will pass our open carry bill this year. I look forward to it. To many hooligans in the east side of town (where the city is, I dread going to that hellhole.)

Another good thing is that we're looking to do away with no-gun zones. Finally, I can feel safe in these establishments.
                  Quake is for nerds.

Comment

@ebisu

I would have thought Florida would have better (i.e. less) gun laws, but that sounds like some straight up California bullshit...hope you guys get some of that legislation turned around. Those no-gun zones are criminal magnets...unarmed citizens make great victims, I hear lol

Comment

At the gun store today, this little guy grabbed my attention:

Walther CCP 9mm

VERY comfortable to hold, small frame, looks slick, just under $400. Gonna read up on some reviews, although I suspect it's a decent weapon...Walther is a good brand I hear.

Comment

I open carry every day I work across 48 lower U.S. states (armed merchant guard) and I am a true 2A follower and believer. I open carry on my property when I am home, I conceal when out and about. I also live in Florida where OC is against the law and we are trying to get that changed so we can carry how we like. (Florida Carry Inc. - On Facebook)

I open carry while fishing, camping and hunting as the FL law allows.

It is your right to do what you wish, but the 2A is as clear as it gets. "THE RIGHTT TO BEAR ARMS SHA'LL NOT BE INFRINGED"

Having a firearm is like having a fire extinguisher, you do not expect a fire but you have one just in case. Same with a firearm, I do not expect to use it but if you bring my family or myself any harm, you will learn the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebisu View Post
                          I live in Florida where we have concealed carry but not open carry, which means if someone sees your gun on accident you're going to jail!
                          This is not true. We have a law that protects us in Florida from 'brief exposure' as long as it is in a non-threatening manner. If someone called the cop's on you just for seeing it, they would have to PROVE you were brandishing your weapon in a threatening manner.

Here is the law just so you know for future purposes. If you are on facebook, look for "Florida Open Carry" group or Florida Carry Inc. page and get added to the group if not already a member.

790.053 Open Carrying of Weapons.—
                          (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                            @ebisu

I would have thought Florida would have better (i.e. less) gun laws, but that sounds like some straight up California bullshit...hope you guys get some of that legislation turned around. Those no-gun zones are criminal magnets...unarmed citizens make great victims, I hear lol
                            Florida is the 12th best state for gun laws and gun rights. Georgia is #13 according to the NRA ratings. Sure we don't have open carry but our laws are less restrictive then the other 38 states.

Comment

Just realized I called the EMP a kimber in my previous post...I knew better than that. They are Springfield armory. I used to make grips for them at my last job.

@WL

I think open carry is good, and I like seeing it around. The more it happens, the less non-gun people will think it so weird or dangerous or whatever.

I personally prefer concealed when I'm around people because I don't like showing all my cards, so to speak. But if I'm in a rural area or out hiking or whatever I'll open carry.

Do you think Florida will ever go constitutional carry? Idaho just did it last year. A lot of states are starting to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                                Do you think Florida will ever go constitutional carry? Idaho just did it last year. A lot of states are starting to do it.
                                With the few RINO's we have in the Senate right now, Not any time soon.

We have been battling to get OC back since 1986 when it was banned to begin with. Sadly we have had the last 2 year's blocked by douche bag Senator's out of Miami, FL. Governor Rick Scott said if the bill makes it to his desk he will sign Open Carry into law the same day it hits his desk.

As for constitutional carry, it's one step at a time. That's the ultimate goal though.

Comment

Working...
                                X