Ten Years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Years.

Ladies and gentlemen of the quakeone community.

Time has its seasons and change never waits for us to prepare. I joined quakeone in 2006 and as one of its oldest members I've seen incredible works, insane drama, and everything in between on here. Over the last five, I've been visiting and contributing less and less. I've always made a point to peek in to share what I've been working on, give feedback, ask for advice or tinker around with content but I can't avoid the writing on the wall any longer.

It's a difficult choice for me to make, but I've grown so comfortable with the community that I've begun using it as a crutch. A place where I can give myself the illusion of being productive while avoiding the responsibilities I have with my professional work. Self control isn't something that comes easy for me, so when push comes to shove, I need to make rigid obstacles to wean myself from habits that are counterproductive.

As a parting gift, I would like to leave the quakec mod along with the modified models/skins, retro-style autoexec.cfg and CRT shader config for use with Reshade 3.0.4.

The autoexec and shaderconfig work best with Quakespasm.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/hangnail.zip

While the quakec stuff is tutorial-grade amateur silliness, I'm proud of the work I did tweaking the skins and models. Maybe somebody can use these for their own work going forward.

In summary, it's been a hell of a wild decade. Thank you for allowing this freaky goth fraggle to share in this obsession with a filthy old antique of a game for all these years. It's been a joy.
    I'll be keeping my account open and answering as many questions and interacting as often I can through this thread for the next week, but on Weds Nov 23 my account will be closed.

Your friend and deathmatch decoy,
    -Amon

Twitter:Amon26
    Itch.io: Amon26
    Bandcamp: Amon26
    Last edited by Amon26; 11-16-2016, 11:20 PM.

Favorite memories:

-Being officially/unofficially part of the Qbism engine with my palettes.
    -Making friends with a guy who sent me an mp3 of him rapping about cornbread. I laughed so hard my ribs ached
    -The Kimp Saga
    -Arcane Dimensions
    -Being a tester for RemakeQuake
    -Learning how to get Quake1 working on my first android phone and using it blow peoples fucking minds at a GDC in 2010.
    -Creating the "nail grunt" and "faceless scrag" skins in 2007
    -Discovering the singleplayer beta release

Comment

Take care and be productive!

real life > all
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks Baker! Yell at me on the twootrs!

Comment

Thank you for being part of the community for so long, Amon26. I fully respect your decision and wish you well in whatever you endeavor. I'm still gonna write your name in my "Merry Christmas to Everyone Individually" post. Maybe this year I wont miss so many people.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Sad news indeed
            Whilst I understand your reasons for going and wish you the best of luck in your endeavours, as one of the good guys of this little community of ours you will be missed. I can only hope that at some point you will feel able to drop by and catch up with your old quake buddies.
            Kind regards
            Monty
            (Que:Sound of "the last post" slowly fading away.... )
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Thank you MG.

I'd also like to thank the community for frontpaging the news of my FPS game I released a few years back. That was very kind of you.

Comment

Thank you Burns. I'll be gone from the community, but certainly not the internet. I'll be continuing to do my best to entertain people with games and albums and other projects. That invite to follow me on twitter isn't an empty one, I keep up with it and make sure to answer my DM's and replies. I follow a lot of fellow quakers on there and vice-versa

Comment

Thank you for your service, Ranger *salutes*

Enjoyed your quirky quake art over the last decade.

Take care.

Comment

I'll be continuing to do my best to entertain people with games and albums and other projects. That invite to follow me on twitter isn't an empty one, I keep up with it and make sure to answer my DM's and replies. I follow a lot of fellow quakers on there and vice-versa
                    Well, what is the point of leaving here then? It sounds like you're trading heroine for crack. I thought the point was to remove distraction from your professional life. How is doing all the same stuff but moving it to twitter accomplishing that?

I mean of course you don't have to answer any of that cause you don't answer to me but, I just stuck the bug in your head. Maybe the real thing to realize/accept is that you will find the distractions or they will find you no matter what you do and you will probably be perfectly fine professionally and otherwise, no matter what.

I still respect your decision, it just seems half-ass in lieu of new information (above quote). I'm not trying to be a douche bag. The things I am saying to you are the same things I would be telling myself in the same situation and trust me, I FULLY identify with the reasons you posted for having your account closed here.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-17-2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

MG: Trust me. It's different. For me, It's different.

Comment

I hope so, brother. I know my post seemed like attack mode or summin but, I'm actually on your team and hope to see you get what you want, as-well-as support you in whatever decision you make that you feel is best for you.

I'm just a thinker and everything is a program to me. At face value it would seem like you have an infinite loop programmed in and all you've done is add a switch/case to it's body. Like you're trying to break a while(true) loop with continue. Maybe it isn't as simple as face value and I realize that.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-17-2016, 08:07 AM.

Comment

im an absurdist who leverages my interests or abilities to attempt to make things weird for people in good ways. But I still need to cover the monthly expenses with it.

in short: I'm spending too much time on projects that see money going out instead of coming in. I need to focus to my retail game projects, writing albums, and work on my book. When you work for yourself, and your job is entertainment, it's easy to start deceiving yourself and not know it until you're served an eviction notice or your power goes out and resort to panic and e-begging and all sorts of other bad things. I had that happen once already, and I'm determined not to do it again.
                          Last edited by Amon26; 11-17-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gulliver I have plans to put together my first super offishul for sale in barnes and noble coffee table art-book in 2018!

Comment

@I have plans to put together my first super offishul for sale in barnes and noble coffee table art-book in 2018!

I'd buy it. I'd even buy a coffee table to put it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X