Days Without An Injury: 92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days Without An Injury: 92

Last night while I was taking a shower I realized there is not a burn, gouge, puncture or slice on me. That got me thinking that it's been months since I last injured myself. I squashed my diaphragm 2 days ago but that don't count cause it was all healed up the next day. Of course now that I've said this I'm probably going to chop my hand off or something but, at least I can look back and know I had a good run. 92 days is just some made up number. I think it's actually been almost double that.

Edit: woah, it's been almost 8 months. My last injury was that gnarly burn on my forearm and I posted about that last August. I'm totally due (if not overdue) for some pain. I'm pretty damn tired today and currently on my way to work. I should probably try to be careful today.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-06-2017, 08:42 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

You shouldn't have said anything. Fate will find you now, and you can't escape it

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Here's a handy way to prevent yourself from ever earning the nickname "Stubby".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk[/ame]

Comment

I got a part of my toe cut off in the bathroom yesterday.Good thing I had no school today,the socks would have killed me.
        Dude,lets party!
        Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

Comment

@ DM let me show you why I don't believe in superstition.

According to your post, due to me saying I haven't been hurt in a long time it means now I will get hurt, right?

OK, well, using that same line of thinking....

I haven't won/obtained massive wealth, happiness and an overwhelming level of being content in 42 years.

So, now I should have all of those things cause "fate is going to hunt me down". Oh, what? It only works if it's something bad?... see what I'm saying?

I know I even said in my post that now that I've said I haven't been hurt in a while I'm going to chop my hand off but, I was absolutely kidding. I don't believe in that silliness, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
            I know I even said in my post that now that I've said I haven't been hurt in a while I'm going to chop my hand off but, I was absolutely kidding. I don't believe in that silliness, at all.
            I think you're taking me a bit too seriously there

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Oh. It's hard to tell in text. I know a number of people who really believe that stuff.

Back in the day I swept somebodys foot and they had to spit on the broom so they wouldn't go to jail... :/ Silliest shit I eva heard.

I keep getting little baby injuries that don't amount to squat but, so far, my injury-less record remains at 8ish months IMO. For instance I burned my knuckle about 10 minutes ago but, there is no mark and the pain is gone. I'm not counting superficial stuff like that.
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-08-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

That ranked table saw stop is badass!
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

I agree it is awesome but, it leads me to wonder why he created a design that destroys itself. Why not simply move the blade? It wouldn't have to stop at all. The blade is round so, moving downward creates distance between the blade and limb. All this crushing parts to stop the blade stuff seems overblown and unnecessary. Table saws are already designed to raise and lower the blade, and that design includes completely sinking the blade so, if it just dropped really fast it shouldn't matter if it was still spinning.

The video is misleading. He touched the side of the blade. If he would have truly stuck his finger on the business end of that blade he would have been cut. Maybe due to his system that could would have been incredibly small but cut none-the-less.

I wouldn't have wimped out. A little notch out the tip of my finger for display purposes of my awesome invention would have been worth it.

On a side note, there is already an invention for not cutting you finger off. All table saws have an adjustable guide and as long as you use it all you need to keep your fingers is a push rod/stick. Most table saws even come with a notched one so you can clear the wood without dinging the blade on the rod.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-08-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                    On a side note, there is already an invention for not cutting you finger off.
                    Yeah, it's called common sense, i.e. thinking something along the lines of "maybe I shouldn't stick my finger into this very fast spinning saw blade..."
                    e|------------------------0---------------
                    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                    A|---------------0------------------------
                    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Hah! Touche'

Comment

Well, it happens even to people who don't intentionally stick their hand in the path of the blade. People use them for years and years with no issues, and ONE TIME they get distracted for a second and then KUR-CHUNK, SPURT SPURT SPURT. Like the bumper sticker says, Shit Happens.

I don't pretend to know first hand (did I just make a pun?) how well the SawStop works, but I've seen plenty of video that confirms it. Hotdogs vs circular saw blades? The saw blade should win that battle every time. But luckily for woodworkers, wood doesn't conduct electricity, which makes this invention possible. If I were working with a table saw every day, I know I'd feel a lot better knowing there was SOMETHING extra in place helping to protect me.

My old man went out and bought him an expensive assed top of the line table saw at Xmas time, can't remember the brand, but it's one of those with a full square metal base that weighs god-only-knows-what. I had to be there to help him unload it off the 18-wheel trailer it was delivered in, and then help him drag it up onto a dolly to roll it around to the back of his house to the basement door, which almost killed us both, and it wasn't even out of the box yet. Then I had to help him put it together. And after all that (which included lots and lots of dirty words and yelling on both our parts, mostly because he does EVERYTHING such a bass-ackwards way), I mentioned that it might be the best idea just to simply look at it and never use it... because I know how accident prone he is. And I honestly wish he would've spent whatever extra to buy one of these SawStop saws instead. Luckily, he's more into simply collecting this kind of stupid shit and dreaming about all the cool shit he could do with it rather than actually using it. And his stated reason for NOT buying a SawStop was "If it engages, it destroys the blade and you gotta buy whole new whatever-the-fuck-ya-call-it." And I think that totally exemplifies just how much of a dumbass he can be about certain things. Because I don't give a damn if a new blade and brake costs you 500 dollars, you can't go buy a new finger for even 10 times that amount. Once the finger is gone, IT DON'T GROW BACK!

There is a good reason for the fluted crumple-brake thingy-majigger though. If the blade simply drops, it's still spinning forwards, which would pin your digit between the blade tooth and whatever was beneath it, and you'd still get horribly injured, probably moreso than if the blade stopped immediately.

Comment

@good reason, crushed finger

Nope. Think about it more. That is not at all what would happen. The blade could have 2 systems... One that drops it and one that disengages the blade from the torque of the motor so it is essentially spinning like a bike tire when you stop pedaling. The dropping alone would move it completely away from your limb and disengaging the torque would seriously drop it's biting power.

@response to foq

I didn't want to get tedious but, intricate work with small pieces of wood can force you to do things you wouldn't expect. For instance the wood could actually be ejected by the blade forcing you to slip. I've had lathes pitched into my stomach from the blade ejecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
                            Well, it happens even to people who don't intentionally stick their hand in the path of the blade. People use them for years and years with no issues, and ONE TIME they get distracted for a second and then KUR-CHUNK, SPURT SPURT SPURT. Like the bumper sticker says, Shit Happens.

I don't pretend to know first hand (did I just make a pun?) how well the SawStop works, but I've seen plenty of video that confirms it. Hotdogs vs circular saw blades? The saw blade should win that battle every time. But luckily for woodworkers, wood doesn't conduct electricity, which makes this invention possible. If I were working with a table saw every day, I know I'd feel a lot better knowing there was SOMETHING extra in place helping to protect me.
                            Exactly.

I work with stuff that can mangle you on a daily basis including saw blades. I'm also a fairly careful person in the shop. That being said, I have stuck my finger in a bandsaw blade. Fortunately I got lucky and it didn't leave lasting damage, but it was nasty. If it had been a table saw, it would not have ended so well. It would be nice to have a backup system in place.
                            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Agreed, but it was the best I could come up with after seeing the image of the guy purposely stick his finger into the saw.
                              e|------------------------0---------------
                              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                              A|---------------0------------------------
                              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X