Update on old pverclocking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on old pverclocking thread

You may remember me making a thread about how to overcvloan NVIDIA video cards. I said it then and I'll say it now overclocking can fuck up whatever you overclock. Me, with my old NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, I felt a need to overclock as at the time there was 7800s and ATI already had a 1gb card out. I was frusturated with poor performance in Doom3 and Battlefield 2. So I harshly overclocked it (GPU from 325 to 350, RAM to 650 to 720). This produced severe visual artifacts. In GunZ, I would find myself carrying part of a pillar on the Mansion map, and everything looked like meshy garbage. In Battlefield 2, everything was different colors (You could call it GAY BF2, there were pink clouds and the sky was purple, the ground was a lighter shade of pink). Today, I run my video card at
    GPU: 350 mhz (still)
    RAM: 680 mhz (720 was too much for it, maybe it was loseing data or something, 680 seems to work fine)

Additionally: there is free software, er, a registry entry that allows you to change clock settings of your video card in the nvidia controls. Here it is: note that it is clean, I've used it myself various times and it never bothered my system at all. Feel free to use it. http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/
    Overclock responcibly. There's a commercial advertiseing beer around my area. There's a guy working out and he's so pumped up that it's ugly. The guy with the beer says: "Boo too much of a good thing... horray moderation!! Drink responseably."
    Same thing applies here. Don't get crazy with it. Don't push it too far. Even the "detect optimal frequencies" button can push it too far. Also make sure you have even the slightest advancement in cooling. For me, I run my case open and I have a fan blowing on the fideo card to keep it cooler under overclocked conditions.

Also note: Don't do this if your a rich bastard like Monster, lol. If you can't afford to get a new video card (and motherboard, maybe, if yours doesnt support PCI-E), then you can overclock it a little bit to give you a moderate boost in performance until you can get a new parts.
    Also joking about being a rich bastard, Monster. eheheh
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Why didn't you just reply this into the old pverclocking thread?

Comment

Cause it's so old. Me no like bring up old thread.

Comment

Well this will hopefully be my last post in this thread but let me tell you this: You are a forum newby Best to be condensed and simple than to be spread out and complicated.

Comment

Its not complicated. It's very easy.

Comment

You missed my point. My point was that if EVERYONE started posting new threads on what could be in a thread that already exists, this forum would be a mess and it would be hard to find the right information.

Comment

Working...
            X