Radio Interference: Speakers / Microphone / Amplifers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Interference: Speakers / Microphone / Amplifers

I was just curious if anyone here, knows how to block interference of radio waves/frequencies or whatever, from interfering with the pc speakers / microphone / and or amplifer equipment.

As i find a lot of times in my guitar recordings; i can hear a news bulletin or whatnot from some radio station, that seems to be able to come through quietly, while recording.

Anyways, anythoughts particularly cheap tricks to avoid anything costly that would do the trick.

Suggestions ? Ideas ? and, or wise arse but "useful" comments, appreciated.

K~Thanks.

Is your system plugged into an Uninterruptible Power Supply?

Just guessing here but it seems the RI would be sent to ground with the use of one.

Your case may be more complex.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Knock on your neighbors door and tell him to take off the f**king hat or you will kick his ass.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Well, that sounds like a pretty unique case, I've never had any problems with interference. The easiest method is just to move the speakers/mic if possible, otherwise, you may want to try amplification/volume-adjustment to make up for the interrupting signal.
        "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Could be that the guitar is picking this up. Maybe try a recording w/out the guitar and see if you get the same thing. Process of elimination.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Radio frequency interference, aka RFI are AM or FM frequencies spilling in audio cables or equipment, causing unwanted noise in the audio signal.
            Known problem occuring mostly when using unshielded audio/line cables.

Check the internet for RFI shielded cables, cabinets, equipment and so on.
            You can find ready made stuff or build them yourself if you're good at little soldering...
            Don't spare money on that. Buy good brand quality stuff such as Neutrik, for instance.
            Replace each and every line/audio cable this way and you'll be set!

Technically, the electric guitar is a common RFI generator, when using unshielded or low-end jack cable.
            RFI are pre-amplified through the pick-ups, which are among highest magnetic power mikes you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnXmas

Check the internet for RFI shielded cables
              My Mic has those, although I assumed they were standard for anything above the shit that you get with a sound card.
              "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Yeah, nvm.

I replaced my mic, with another mic i didn't realize i had in the other pc room. An luckly it's an old one, as all the new ones these days have bg filtering built into them grrr.... which means it won't pick up the guitar.

But, s'okay now everyone got myself a new microphone from some old pc parts that was laying around. Records crystal clear once again. ^_^

Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

I've had this problem with phones/stereo's where I live. There is a radio tower not far from me (about a mile) and for some reason my outlets pick it up. I found a device at radio shack that provides a buffer for that static radio noise for the outlets that needed them. The phone was another problem and I ended up calling the phone company to put a buffer on the outside box for my lines. Somehow, listening to the White Sox lose again was not my idea of a great conversation.
                  www.Net-Tyme.com
                  Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                  Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Working...
                  X