No announcement yet.

Credit score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone mentioned that freecreditreport . com is a scam - how so? I've never used it... just wondering...

Comment

Google for freecreditreport.com and read what people have to say, I can't recall the specifics.

See, the main tip off that it is a scam is that the credit reporting companies are required by law to provide a free credit report: http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ <--- legitimate site

If I recall correctly, freecreditreport.com is run by one of the credit reporting agencies and is a scam to charge you $$$ for what you are entitled to get for free.

If freecreditreport.com is legitimate, where are they getting all of this money for radio advertising?
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        If I recall correctly, freecreditreport.com is run by one of the credit reporting agencies and is a scam to charge you $$$ for what you are entitled to get for free.
        I don't know who owns it but it's not really a scam. It is very silly to use that website because you can get your credit report for free anyway.

You can request a free credit report at once per year through the real site www.annualcreditreport.com (or by snail mail).

If freecreditreport.com is legitimate, where are they getting all of this money for radio advertising?
        They do TV ads as well. If you look at the fine print, you have to sign up for one of their $$$ packages in order to get the "free" credit report. It includes other services which are probably equally as useless.

They want to be the middleman that provides free services to you for money. It's the same deal with weather reports. There are companies out there that charge $$$$ for free information the government produces. Useless middlemen.

And in the case of weather, they aren't just useless but actually hurt you. They wanted to stop the government from producing XML reports. They wanted to lock up the data in a proprietary format. That's just disgusting to lock up taxpayer funded information in a proprietary format so they have a business model.

Comment

Google for freecreditreport.com and read what people have to say, I can't recall the specifics.
          This is my take on them. You see "free credit report!". Once apon a time I went to the site and started to go through it to get the report. When I got to the point where it wanted to charge my credit card, I just left it alone.

If you sign up, you can get a month free! That's your free credit report. Like kbdrate stated, you have to sign up for one of their $$$ packages. Bleh, I don't need them. I was only curious anyway.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Free = no strings attached

Since freecreditreport.com apparently requires a credit card and signing up for a trial of something no one is likely looking for, it is not free.

Since it is not actually free with no strings attached, I don't think the name is really appropriate.

On the other hand, it would hard for them to verify identity without a credit card or something to verify it is really you.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Here it is right off the front page.

Notice toward the bottom. kbdrate's post reflects the free report.

Comment

Why wouldn't you just go to the three major ones and pull from there? Why is anyone looking at a second party to get these reports? Only asking because my coworker did that and failed to click on an opt out feature. She just clicked next. Then found a charge hit her card the following month. I went to the major 3 to get mine. I don't get the point of going to a second party when you should go to the source to begin with.

Sorry Baker, had to walk away from the start of this thread. I've been in credit to long to discuss that particular law mentioned. Just letting you know.. I didn't back down.. I backed out.
                www.Net-Tyme.com
                Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Net-Tyme View Post
                  Why wouldn't you just go to the three major ones and pull from there? Why is anyone looking at a second party to get these reports?
                  Well, correct me if I'm wrong. At Equifax you have to pay for this information.

According to annualcreditreport.com, it's free. FAQ on that site

Now I got to the area where they want my information. I stop there so I cannot tell you if they will charge me or not.

Comment

I went to annualcreditreport.com and obtained my credit report free from all of the three major players. All of them are free for the basic credit report. If you want to get your exact credit score, you have to pay for that. I guess the law states your credit report is free, not your credit score.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                      I went to annualcreditreport.com and obtained my credit report free from all of the three major players. All of them are free for the basic credit report. If you want to get your exact credit score, you have to pay for that. I guess the law states your credit report is free, not your credit score.
                      Yeah, that's correct. I believe the law was written in 1996, and credit scores weren't in vogue at the time (well, they were, but consumers didn't know about them, heheh)

Comment

Working...
                      X