No announcement yet.

The Impossible Space Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool thread, too bad I wasn't around for the beginning of it. I just finished a uni class called Astronomy 398: Space Flight. Awesome stuff.

#4 ... Low resolution, I'll just take a stab in the dark, comet trail?

Useless trivia: The Skylab had an exercise bike on board for testing and monitoring purposes. The astronauts did not enjoy using the excersize bike, and ground was worried that if they did not get regular exercise that they would develop muscle atrophy. The crewmembers came up with two different activities for exercise instead, what were they?
    Last edited by hexed6; 08-24-2006, 02:53 PM. Reason: useless trivia

Comment

Bank is to Snakes on a Plane as Canadian Sniper is to MGS

Comment

I did found The First Church of Snakes on a Plane under our Patron Saint Samuel.
        "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
          Bank is to Snakes on a Plane as Canadian Sniper is to MGS
          MGO >: O

Comment

Originally posted by hexed6 View Post
            Useless trivia: The Skylab had an exercise bike on board for testing and monitoring purposes. The astronauts did not enjoy using the excersize bike, and ground was worried that if they did not get regular exercise that they would develop muscle atrophy. The crewmembers came up with two different activities for exercise instead, what were they?
            A complete guess...

1. Doing flips or some sort of acobatic stuff?
            2. Playing catch and/or kicking with some sort of object?

Comment

Originally posted by hexed6 View Post
              #4 ... Low resolution, I'll just take a stab in the dark, comet trail?
              Incorrect. Some extra info: #4 isn't a comet or asteroid, it is something everyone knows of. The object the arrow is pointing to is 6.6 billion km away from the source; the photo was taken in 1990.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

How ironic on the virge of this topic that today the International Astronomical Union voted to demote Pluto from a planet to a "dwarf planet." Thus our solar sysem now officially contains only 8 planets. They also did not alter the definition of a planet to include some of those larger asteroids, like the one Baker had as one of his trivia questions.

Read: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210275,00.html

Comment

The First Church supports Pluto as a Planet, not a dwarf, as Saint Samuel would have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                    How ironic on the virge of this topic that today the International Astronomical Union voted to demote Pluto from a planet to a "dwarf planet." Thus our solar sysem now officially contains only 8 planets.
                    They've discovered 5 or 6 Pluto-like objects beyond Neptune ... still Pluto is rather large. I don't think it should be considered a planet, but I don't think anyone likes the idea of changing around how many planets there are.

I think I saw the above on the Sci-Fi channel back when the Sci-Fi channel ran mostly movies. The movie Journey to the Far Side of the Sun was a very cool movie ... here is what happens (spoiler ... highlight text):

Spoiler: Highlight the text below

A rocket takes off to the far side of the sun to investigate something they've detected in Earth's orbit. The rocket takes off and then unexpectedly returns to Earth prior to completing the mission. He is interrogated by the government as to why he didn't complete his mission and is delusional and he doesn't know. Eventually -- and I can't remember how --- they discover he is from mirror image Earth on the opposite side of the sun and is NOT the man they sent on the mission.
                    / #4 remains unsolved, hehe
                    Last edited by Baker; 08-24-2006, 07:35 PM.
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      I don't think it should be considered a planet
                      You deserve to die.

Comment

How ironic on the virge of this topic that today the International Astronomical Union voted to demote Pluto from a planet to a "dwarf planet." Thus our solar sysem now officially contains only 8 planets. They also did not alter the definition of a planet to include some of those larger asteroids, like the one Baker had as one of his trivia questions.

Read: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210275,00.html
                        Yea I read that in the news today (newspaper, anyone else read that? )

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                          newspaper, anyone else read that?
                          I think I bought one of those a couple of years ago.

Hehe, who reads the newspaper anymore except at airports (where it is so damn boring)? It's a waste of 50 cents to read the same AP and Reuters stories that are free on the internet.

The Wall Street Journal is an exception to the above because the content is so unique, but you more or less have to be into stocks or bonds to need to be that informed.

Comment

I find the only way I can keep up to date with other types of businesses is by reading the newspaper. Who knows, I might change profession down the road and I'll know what companies I should look at :-)

Comment

A complete guess...

1. Doing flips or some sort of acobatic stuff?
                              2. Playing catch and/or kicking with some sort of object?
                              1. No.
                              2. Close, you're on the right track.

Comment

Is #4 a spiral galaxy side view?

Comment

Working...
                                X