The Impossible Space Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Impossible Space Quiz

Here are some random pictures and I admit this is so hard as to not even be fair, but it might provide some entertainment value. I'd personally be shocked if more than 4 of these got answered by anyone.

Here goes ...

1. This is possibly the most ignored object in the solar system and most people have probably never heard of it, hehe. What it is? [SOLVED by SOLECORD ... the largest asteroid, Ceres, which is about 1000 km wide and larger than most moons]

2. A very unique picture, the only picture of its type. What is special about this picture? [SOLVED by GULLIVER-TRANS ... a picture of what is very likely a gas giant planet in another solar system]

3. What event was this? [SOLVED by SPIRIT with extra info by SOLECORD ... Shoemaker-Levy comet impacting with Jupiter in July 1994]

4. Another unique picture. What is the arrow pointing out? STILL UNSOLVED!

5. What was this? [SOLVED by SOLECORD ... Skylab, the first USA-made space station in the 1970's]

6. What is this? [SOLVED by SPIRIT ... Moon of Saturn (Mimas) within Rings]

7. What is the name of dot in this picture? [SOLVED by SOLECORD .. Dactyl, the tiny 1 mile-wide moon of the asteroid Ida]

8. What is the name of dot in this picture? (Upper left) [SOLVED by QUADRAPTOR .. the dot is the moon Titan]

9. Where was this picture taken? [SOLVED by QUADRAPTOR... the surface of Venus by Venera 13]

10. Obligatory protest pic. That "Spirit" reference is the name of the rover NASA has running around Mars, not Spirit who runs the Quaddicted site, of course.

11. Obligatory Walmart of Mars photo.

Last edited by Baker; 08-23-2006, 06:53 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I might know a few of those. #9 definately (saw that picture before), I might know #2, #4, and #8.

Well, here are my guesses on those:

#2 - Well it's a binary star system but the picture was probably taken at the very instant the A star became a Nova. It's my understanding that event occurs quickly.

#4 - A supernova within the milky way?

#8 - Titan, a moon of Saturn?

#9 - Definately a picture of Mars' surface. That stick that extends out is used to determine what color the atmosphere/surface (comparison since they know what those colors were when the rover was originally being built)

Comment

The answer to all the questions is Snakes.
      "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
        #2 - Well it's a binary star system but the picture was probably taken at the very instant the A star became a Nova. It's my understanding that event occurs quickly.
        Incorrect. That would be a very unique picture, but that isn't what #2 is a picture of.

#4 - A supernova within the milky way?
        Incorrect. But it was a good guess, heheh. :d

#8 - Titan, a moon of Saturn?
        Correct! That was the first close-up shot of Saturn by Pioneer 11 taken in 1979.

(I thought we had sent some probes or whatever to Saturn and places like that back in the 1960's. I was surprised that 1979 was the first close-up of Saturn.)

#9 - Definately a picture of Mars' surface. That stick that extends out is used to determine what color the atmosphere/surface (comparison since they know what those colors were when the rover was originally being built)
        Incorrect, but another nice try.

(Most of these are incredibly tough and the answers to many of them are very surprising.)
        Last edited by Baker; 08-23-2006, 02:32 PM.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

1: Bad render... One of Jupiter's 63 moons/satellites perhaps.
          3: Meteroid impact on jupiter?
          5: Gemini?
          6: Rings of Saturn with one of its moons?
          7: Europa?
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
            1: Bad render... One of Jupiter's 63 moons/satellites perhaps.
            Incorrect. Not a bad guess. It's the most overlooked thing in the solar system, heheh. Most people don't even know it exists. It was discovered in the early 1800's.

3: Meteroid impact on jupiter?
            Close enough, but what and when?

5: Gemini?
            Incorrect. This one is pretty tough.

6: Rings of Saturn with one of its moons?
            Correct! A picture of one of Saturn's moons (Mimas) in the rings.

7: Europa?
            Incorrect. The dot in #7 actually orbits the big rock, heheh

/ Scorecard: Spirit 2, Quadraptor 1 with 6 remaining.

Comment

Baker, perhaps you should edit your initial post and type "SOLVED" or something next to the questions someone has answered correct - or even edit and stick the answer in there

My guesses:

1. Pluto? or it's moon Charon?

3. Shoemaker-Levy 9 hitting Jupiter

4. A ring of Uranus?

7. Mars? The object in the foreground looks like one of the moons of Mars.

Comment

Updated guess:

7. Asteroid and it's moon.

I wasn't even looking for that. I was trying to find the name of some moons of the outer planets and came across this page:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040619.html

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                  Baker, perhaps you should edit your initial post and type "SOLVED" or something next to the questions someone has answered correct - or even edit and stick the answer in there
                  Done!

My guesses:

1. Pluto? or it's moon Charon?
                  Incorrect. Good guess, this one is tough.

3. Shoemaker-Levy 9 hitting Jupiter
                  Correct!

4. A ring of Uranus?
                  Incorrect.

7. Mars? The object in the foreground looks like one of the moons of Mars.
                  Incorrect. I'll add some extra info ... the dot looks small because it is. The dot is only a little more than 1 mile in diameter and actually has a name.

Comment

Updated guess:

7. Asteroid and it's moon.

I wasn't even looking for that. I was trying to find the name of some moons of the outer planets and came across this page:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040619.html
                    It is an asteroid, but I can't give you credit for that because the question is #7 "What is the name of dot in this picture?"

For someone to get credit for #7, they have to give the name of the dot, heheh

Comment

I have another guess for #9, I was thinking Mars because of the tint but I knew I had seen that picture before.

It's actually on Venus, because the surface isn't too visible due to the clouds in the atmosphere, so they use that color stick to figure out what the surface color is.

Comment

#7 The answer's on the page I linked to - Dactyl

Comment

#7 The answer's on the page I linked to - Dactyl
                          Hehe, I just noticed that and was about to post.

Correct!

It's actually on Venus, because the surface isn't too visible due to the clouds in the atmosphere, so they use that color stick to figure out what the surface color is.
                          Correct! That is a photo of the surface of Venus by the Venera probe sent by the Soviet Union.

The surface temp on Venus is 450 C/900 F. But that wasn't the hard part for sending the probe! The surface pressure on Venus is 250 times as high as on Earth.

Comment

#5 is Skylab

Comment

#5 is Skylab
                              Hehe, how did you figure that out?

Correct! It was the first USA-made space station.

Comment

Working...
                              X