Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm a question for moderators and admins

Well hello and good day

Ok i am a admin of a forum and we resently got 3 new moderators cause me and the other ppl are a bit busy atm. So i asked on of the new moderators to split a topic and he refused a couple of times so i said fine i am gonna split it myself.
    But then he started b1tching and moaning bublicaly about this incedent soo i told him if he has a probelm that he should pm me and not go all berserk on the forum. So the kid didnt listen too me and went on b1tching on the forum.
    Sooooo i decided screw that i am taking hes moderator status away and i also set him up for moderation for 10 dayz.

So now the little punk is moaning to a lot of users on the pm system

So what i would like to here from u ppl are the folowing:
    1. what would u have done differently?
    2. what are the steps that u would take now?

Moderators and Admins only to answer?

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

well i would like all opinions soo shoot

Comment

Originally posted by fridge View Post
        Well hello and good day

Ok i am a admin of a forum and we resently got 3 new moderators cause me and the other ppl are a bit busy atm. So i asked on of the new moderators to split a topic and he refused a couple of times so i said fine i am gonna split it myself.
        But then he started b1tching and moaning bublicaly about this incedent soo i told him if he has a probelm that he should pm me and not go all berserk on the forum. So the kid didnt listen too me and went on b1tching on the forum.
        Sooooo i decided screw that i am taking hes moderator status away and i also set him up for moderation for 10 dayz.

So now the little punk is moaning to a lot of users on the pm system
        Giving out moderator and admin is something to take very seriously. You only do with people you absolutely trust and that you are certain wouldn't misuse it. Less is more.

Generally this falls into 2 categories:

1. People who have demonstrated long-term that they are extremely trustworthy and can separate themselves from their role as admin.

2. People who are role-oriented. At this site, we have 3 main admin ... Solecord who runs the site, Yellow and myself. Solecord does the PHP, Yellow handles the servers, I handle the content and a large part of the news.

We each provide input to what each other does, can do things independently, but more or less let each other decide how to best do their own thing.

There are others that I consider "near-admin" and have access to some stuff on the site or FTP capability and yet others that don't have such access, but that I personally wouldn't hesistate to give to responsibility to.

So what i would like to here from u ppl are the folowing:
        1. what would u have done differently?
        2. what are the steps that u would take now?
        You have 3 choices:

1. Ignore him. That's what I'd do.

2. Take away his private messaging capability or ban him. But then you have become too involved.

3. Start a thread at your forum, address the issue without violating any confidentiality and explain the situation diplomatically and close the thread, telling your side of the story so others don't have only 1 point of view.

Provided you are confident you made the right decision, something to weigh carefully, stand by it.

But ONLY do so if you are absolutely confident you made the right decision.

Options 1 and 3 are the best. Any good moderator or admin has very thick skin.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

tnx baker like ur way of thinking

well i am currently ignoring the guy

but the other admin just gave him back his rights

lol looks like this is going to be a long night indeed

Comment

Originally posted by fridge
            but the other admin just gave him back his rights
            Baker has stated it well.

Looks to me there's more going here that meets the eye.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Who actually runs the board? I assumed there was only (1) Admin but it looks like there is more then one? If this is the case then you and whoever else admins with you should be discussing the rules of conduct for moderators? I assume the topic was split because it actually went off topic otherwise there would be no reason to split it. I agree with Bakers #3 but actually would have done that at the time of the split? It's hard to be objective when you are only getting one view of the crisis at hand. In reality, you and the other admins need to set up a code of conduct for your moderators since it seems you have a few that take off on their own. Admins and Moderators need to work together and be on the same page for the integrity of the board itself. But Hey.. Tongue in Cheek.. When the splatter hits the page the page gets more hits.. Take it in stride and come to an agreement with the other admins and stick to it. No favorites.

P.S. Keep rules in K.I.S.S. mode or kiss it g-bye.
              www.Net-Tyme.com
              Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
              Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Who actually runs the board? I assumed there was only (1) Admin but it looks like there is more then one?
                The reason why there is another admin (note he is a friend o mine) is cause he started of a South african comic book dev comunity (note there never was one before). I started of the board for him, now we are both admin cuase we both are very busy with work and studys and stuff, so we are basicly splitting the work betweeb 2 ppl to make it easier. I agree that we should have a discusion on code of conduct for moderators etc.

I assume the topic was split because it actually went off topic otherwise there would be no reason to split it

yep it went off

In reality, you and the other admins need to set up a code of conduct for your moderators since it seems you have a few that take off on their own. Admins and Moderators need to work together and be on the same page for the integrity of the board itself.
                yep i will have too doo this cause me and the other admin are a bit different when it come to ouer personalitys, he is the forgiving charasmatic type of person and i am more of the hardass, "dont give a damn about u" typ o person

Comment

I agree with Baker; anyone who has admin access has the ability to trash the system. I wouldn't trust a nobody to a server.

As for the other admin giving back the rights, you should talk to him/her about the situation.

Comment

sounds like a whiney bitch who needs to be put in his place :/
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      sounds like a whiney bitch who needs to be put in his place :/

if i had money for a plane ticket down too cape town i would go and put the kid in he's place personally

Comment

I run a couple of forums and I found it best to not give moderator access out to someone you don't know and trust. Like here for example, I don't trust Baker but since he paid me $500 I gave him admin rights. (lol j/k)

Seriously though, since the person posted publicly about what happened, I would say defend yourself. Post a message explaining what happened. Then close the thread and delete any new threads the person may bring up about it. Be very polite and respectful. One thing I found out is that if you post disrespectful messages your forum members won't respect you. If you don't have the respect of your members, then your forum is fucked.

Comment

I hate you Sven!!!!!!! >: O

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                            Like here for example, I don't trust Baker but since he paid me $500 I gave him admin rights. (lol j/k)
                            Heheh.

Seriously though, since the person posted publicly about what happened, I would say defend yourself. Post a message explaining what happened. Then close the thread and delete any new threads the person may bring up about it. Be very polite and respectful.
                            Yah, Solecord gives good advice. Defend yourself!

One thing I found out is that if you post disrespectful messages your forum members won't respect you. If you don't have the respect of your members, then your forum is fucked.
                            More great advice.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Well i did defend mysefl and a lot of ppl agreed that it is phu*cked up what the moderator did. He got of on he's final warning and well here is the deal with the sucker; if he does anything that iretates me or just generaly anoys me (like hes choice of words etc etc etc etc) he will be banned hes acount removed etc etc etc etc but too put the cherry on the cake i am gonna subscribe him to as many spam email services i can find (i know this is childish but it is a lot of fun)

ps tnx for all teh support

Comment

Working...
                              X