Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

... What the HELL are thease guys pulling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... What the HELL are thease guys pulling?

Ok, I went to go get QMB v1.19 (the newest version) here. And the file was a .7z. ...WTF is a .7z? I even went and got WinZip 10.0 PRO and cracked it so it's like I bought it. (neat program, espically since it's usually $50, ) And even THAT did'nt recionize it. Prior I tried WinRAR and that didn't work either. So, what is a .7z? Better yet, what can I open it with?? I really want that QMB. I know Qrack in like QMB, but QMB has MORE features and stuff, and a new rendering mode...
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

7z = 7Zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

WinRAR will also open 7-Zip files, assuming your WinRAR is a relatively recent one.

7-Zip is a superior and open source zip format that can turn a 100 MB download into a 70 MB download, saving both storage space and bandwidth for the host.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

7zip is a pretty decent format, and WinRAR can handle it (plus WinRAR is a lot better than Winzip)

edit: beat me to it

Comment

winzip sucks lol.

it's not 1998 anymore btw.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, if someone is hosting a file out of their own good will and it doesn't have anything to do with $$$, the hoster is morally entitled to use the least expensive distribution method.

7-Zip compresses so much better than Zip that maybe that your 100 MB of hosting space could hold 300 maps instead of 200, and maybe your bandwidth could support 7500 downloads instead of 5000.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I had your reaction the first time I encountered that type of file. I wasn't too happy about it. Same with WinRAR, where i was like "Why couldn't they have used something f**** normal like .Zip?"

But if you are distributing files, you quickly learn of the massive advantages of 7-Zip and often get overcome by the math (Why host 200 files when I can host 300, hmm?).

Comment

I hate using all of those multiple extractor file compressing thingies.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker

7-Zip compresses so much better than Zip .
                  Can't agree if it doesn't include a format that allows it to self extract like Winzip does. Size yes.. But like games do we really need 20 odd zip programs? Universal would be nice.
                  www.Net-Tyme.com
                  Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                  Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

In my mind I thought: "Hmm... the NEW WinZip v10.0 PRO should work..." but no. Now I need to get WinRar and crack that too. But I DID get the 7-zip opener thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Net-Tyme
                      Can't agree if it doesn't include a format that allows it to self extract like Winzip does. Size yes.. But like games do we really need 20 odd zip programs? Universal would be nice.
                      7z can have a SFX module already.

I just use WinRAR, that extracts just about any archive I encountered.

Comment

becomes a problem for linux users that are used to gzip

Comment

There is a command line version of 7-Zip for Linux.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/

Comment

WINE works nicely with WinRAR too heh

Comment

Cracked winrar 3.51. BTW, crack.ms and crackspider.net are your firends...
                              BTW, do NOT go to those places if yoy don't have firewall and antivirus. They will eat your machine's brains...

Comment

Working...
                              X