X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Buys YouTube for $1.65 Bil.

Wow.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218921,00.html

So now Google is going to have to shell out $$ to defend copyright lawsuits? YouTube is like a copyright lawsuit waiting to happen...

Here's youtube in a nutshell. This guy forgets to mention that there's always around 20 different posts of the same copyrighted videos in youtube.

Comment

I think YouTube is the perfect technology.

1. It always works (I hate .wmv <-- that format sucks so bad)
      2. It doesn't require codecs (a big .avi weakness)
      3. Doesn't require upgrades so it is universal.

The lawsuit factor is interesting, but Google has the money to defend itself easily and has had to do so in the past ... trademarks + Google advertising/search results and Google books + copyright.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

YouTube isn't a technology. They just taked uploaded videos and convert them to flash movies. Google Video does the same thing.

Comment

Keep your governments out of my internet.
          "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
            YouTube isn't a technology. They just taked uploaded videos and convert them to flash movies. Google Video does the same thing.
            Google Video doesn't work for me, but YouTube does. I will not upgrade my flash player or Windows Media Player for a site. YouTube works flawlessly.

I don't know to classify YouTube, but if it isn't a technology it is certainly a complicated mechanism. If it weren't, everyone could run such a thing ... but they are the only ones with a decent service.

Unless you think Google is buying YouTube for the brand ... and I highly doubt that (although that would help).
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              I don't know to classify YouTube, but if it isn't a technology it is certainly a complicated mechanism.
              I've made something very similar in a day where a asp.net site could upload a media file then use the flash 8 converter to make a flv (i think it was flv) file and store/view it.

Flash 7 has the ability to play flv files, flash 8 can create flv files

Comment

I will not upgrade my flash player or Windows Media Player for a site

What versions are you running? Why would you not keep your flash player up to date? That's just like keeping your browser up to date to me... basic maintenence for my surfing pleasure!

BTW requirements for Google Video is Adobe Flash Player 7.0+ - I think 7.0 came out years ago hasn't it? The lastest version is 9!

Comment

The lastest version is 9!
                  actually 9 was made when adobe acquired macromedia, major updates were change from "macromedia flash player" to "adobe flash player".
                  the actual flash 9 doesn't exist.

Comment

What versions are you running?
                    Flash Player 8.0

Why would you not keep your flash player up to date?
                    Because Flash Player is 99% used for pop-up ads or ads that make noise or so ESPN's page can chug along and feed me commercials!

BTW requirements for Google Video is Adobe Flash Player 7.0+ - I think 7.0 came out years ago hasn't it? The lastest version is 9!
                    I use Flash Player 8 and a number of them [Google Videos] want me to install Flash Player 9. Yeah, sure I could do that, but YouTube and almost all of the annoying Flash ads work so they must use superior technology, heh

I can watch 99.9% of Flash movies with Flash Player 8. I don't believe in doing updates [except for Quake, hehe :d :d or FireFox].

Windows Updates, Microsoft Office Updates, .NET Updates, Adobe PDF and Flash Player updates -- each one is worse/slower/buggier with each subsequent release.

Originally posted by RocketGuy View Post
                    actually 9 was made when adobe acquired macromedia, major updates were change from "macromedia flash player" to "adobe flash player".
                    the actual flash 9 doesn't exist.
                    Typical, heh Adobe PDF 5.0 was very fast. Adobe PDF 6.0 was much slower. Adobe 7 is an abomination -- but is fun to load on other people's computers. OMG, Adobe's stuff is so horrible.

Comment

Because Flash Player is 99% used for pop-up ads or ads that make noise or so ESPN's page can chug along and feed me commercials!

I use Flash Player 8 and a number of them [Google Videos] want me to install Flash Player 9. Yeah, sure I could do that, but YouTube and almost all of the annoying Flash ads work so they must use superior technology, heh
                      Sounds like you need Adblock and Adblock Filter.G Updater (links may change over time)

Typical, heh Adobe PDF 5.0 was very fast. Adobe PDF 6.0 was much slower. Adobe 7 is an abomination -- but is fun to load on other people's computers. OMG, Adobe's stuff is so horrible.
                      You'd make a good arguement in the Photoshop vs Gimp thread

Comment

I use PaintShop Pro 4. It loads instantly and does about 90% of anything I ever need to do. Sometimes I load up another graphics application for some very sophisticated stuff.

It pwns Photoshop and pwns PaintShop Pro 5/6/7/8/9.

Sort of the way that Office 2000 pwns Office 2003/2004/2005.

This is proof that new software mostly doesn't do anything new, they just do updates to sell updates, which is understandable. I think most software updates are for the upper 3% of users ... and since I can't draw I don't need the new functionality.

An example: the spinning Quake cube ...

Was made using something called Simply 3D on my old Windows 98 machine. I searched high and low for a replacement for that defunct application to no avail

Consequently, if anyone knows of a good 3D animation software product that isn't named CAD or isn't made by Corel (<--- their applications are terrible) I'd be very happy.

Comment

uhh.. 3ds max?

Comment

I started using Paintshop Pro (don't remember which version - I want to say 5?) but as I started getting serious about web page design I found that Photoshop was the way to go. It just has better features for creating layered layouts. Sometime last year a friend of mine got me to use Macromedia Fireworks and I've found that to be a fast loading Photoshop. It has most of the features of Photoshop and loads extremely fast. I've been using that lately. Used Fireworks to create this layout

Comment

I use PaintShop Pro 4. It loads instantly and does about 90% of anything I ever need to do. Sometimes I load up another graphics application for some very sophisticated stuff.

It pwns Photoshop and pwns PaintShop Pro 5/6/7/8/9.

Sort of the way that Office 2000 pwns Office 2003/2004/2005.

This is proof that new software mostly doesn't do anything new, they just do updates to sell updates, which is understandable. I think most software updates are for the upper 3% of users ... and since I can't draw I don't need the new functionality.

An example: the spinning Quake cube ...

Was made using something called Simply 3D on my old Windows 98 machine. I searched high and low for a replacement for that defunct application to no avail

Consequently, if anyone knows of a good 3D animation software product that isn't named CAD or isn't made by Corel (<--- their applications are terrible) I'd be very happy.

I remember that program and the only thing I came up with that was just as easy is

http://xara.com/products/screenmaker3d/
                              And I believe PhotoExplosion Extreme or something like that. With the rebates it ended up being a 20.00 program. I never see it in the sales ads but always see it with some sort of rebate at the store. It has alot of the features that Gimp provides.

http://www.novadevelopment.com/Produ...w/default.aspx Remember it says it is 49.95 but Best Buy always has it for about 20-25
                              www.Net-Tyme.com
                              Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                              Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Working...
                              X