This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was seven minutes brah...

My point wasn't so much that I was late (nobody even cared or noticed for that matter). Actually, I'm not sure there was a point to that statement other than it was true.

There is probably a cap so you can't make a second account and rep the crap out of yourself.

Also, I saw something about a shoutbox and something about it being hard to admin. I don't know about vB, but I admin 4 PHPBB3 forums (all with shoutboxes) and it's simple as pie to admin. If someone is an asshole, you just remove their shoutbox privilege, end of story.

you just make 2 groups

standard member
    advanced member

advanced can use the shoutbox, standard cannot. You mess up you get demoted to standard. Personally, I like to add the switch that if you are standard, you can't even see the shoutbox.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

we used to have a comments type section @ everyones profles, that was abused.

The features aimed at connecting players with other players on a public level,the more problematic it tends to become.

Think of a text-grafitti wall, and toss in some never bothered to mature or grow into an adult players and watch the shit fest fly.

I just learned to live with out that feature, as I really enjoyed it.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

one thing id like is being able to see if you got rep from someone with a message included, that you can see who gave the rep and comment to you.

i often find myself wondering who of the people posting in a thread is the one that gave me the rep and the comment,
        and who i should reply to or thank for the rep or such

like in one thread, where someone asked for a converter to convert files to mp3. someone gave me rep and added comment they liked my suggestion more then their suggestion to the rep, but there were several people who posted other suggestions in taht thread, and i have no way of knowing who to reply to or such, and i dun feel like doing the guessing game and hope i send a pm to the right person to talk about it, lol
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I agree with Talisa 100% and have for a long time. I would also like to add that being able to see the complete history of reps would be nice.

Comment

Yah, detailed Rep's would be nice
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Think of a text-grafitti wall, and toss in some never bothered to mature or grow into an adult players and watch the shit fest fly.
              Facebook? lol

Comment

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                Facebook? lol
                FOK A FACEBOOK.

No, really. you're missing the point. Facebook is the shittiest example of Quake1 shit talking / trolling players abusing the comments section.

You really gotta know that there is this very large invisible DMZ between Quakeone.com and the Multiplayer community in the USA.

Sometimes the various colorful players in this community can be down right nasty...

I've never seen shit talk on Facebook like I've witnessed in Q1,hehe!

Comment

I dont think I've ever seen anyone on this forum with a second green block in thier rep score...
                  Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

nope, which means the scaling is off (or impossible to reach a 2nd block even if you've been registered since its inception!)

Can we get that fixed too? Set the bar based on Baker's Reputation points, he should probably have a full 4 o whatever is the full amount of blocks

Comment

Thanks, this gave me an idea.

In real life, if someone disagrees with you or dislikes you, is that something that you are just forced to accept? Sometimes it can be, but often you can manage your reputation in real life, because your reputation is far more complex than someone punching you in the face or handing you flowers...and those are the only options.

People change their mind, can be persuaded, threatened, bought..

Beyond that though, what is the scale for highest and lowest reputation? There has to be an algorithm that has a God status and a Devil Status, both of these being the extremes, with a real math problem that can determine how close you really are to either. Say (humor me) God is perfect and that equals 1 million. No one will ever be that, but from that end things can be considered as to where someone actually is, and that individual should possess the power to persuade others regarding their reputation. The ability to change "opinion" votes would be necessary. The reputation number should also be influenced by the reputation of the voter. If someone with the reputation of "NOBODY" reps you up/down that should count very very little. How someone votes should also effect their reputation. If I do nothing but down vote people, my reputation should fall, as I am very negative. In that lies another issue. Not everyone wants a good reputation, so bad reputations should carry high negative numbers that count as high numbers for evil. 0 would be like just being born.

Sitephyre will have an insane reputation system.
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                        because your reputation is far more complex than someone punching you in the face or handing you flowers...
                        Beyond that though, what is the scale for highest and lowest reputation? There has to be an algorithm that has a God status and a Devil Status, both of these being the extremes, with a real math problem that can determine how close you really are to either.
                        Read this with an open mind --- it looks trolly, but actually it explains the dilemma of social progress:

But the short version is that your reasoning is completely invalid because you propose a system in which other humans in the status quo to subjectively decide what is true and what is not true. Which is a crock of shit in every and all formulations. Henry Ford said his customers --- if left to their own devices --- would want a faster horse. So any variation of any system you would propose would penalize innovation that has strong friction against social norms.

The problem is, all far forward future advances do, in fact, strongly fly in the face of social norms. Some are true while others are false, but these cannot be adequately seen in context of the present, only within a future context.

And all methodology to predict the future or even something as simple as the stock market or social trends fail. The future is only obvious in hindsight, it is never obvious from the present.

i.e. George Washington was hated in his time from the perspective of social norms and so were modern civil rights leaders. No system regardless of the complexity can adequately discern between disruption or a new emerging paradigm. And trying to do so only measures the disruption, not the underlying reasons and whether or not they are valid.

This is the paradox. Any ideas you would have could only be a good measurement of the present. Even if the present sucks from other form of measurement.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Perhaps a shorter version:

People with ideas that others really need to hear are not initially viewed as popular because their ideas challenge the status quo or the existing power structure.

p.s. It is no small irony that initially QuakeOne.com was one of these disruptions and it was viewed as such from about 6 different angles. The double irony is that is it also "won" and the opposing points of view lost ... and lost badly (and QuakeOne.com was wildly popular in being a disruption to the status quo).
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

^^yeah, you're probably right, but I still like my idea. When it all boils down to it, we are talking about a number stored in a database column. vB keeps it simple and makes the number something that really has no value (What is a good reputation? What is the best reputation? How does my reputation effect other reputations when I vote?). I think a reputation could and should be more interactive. Also, (ex) I have a reputation of 28 (points) which is a rep of 4...what does that even mean? The numbers are so mysterious that the rep system is practically useless.

PS>
                            Read this with an open mind --- it looks trolly, but actually it explains the dilemma of social progress:
                            Thank you for saying that, I was just about to read your words with a closed mind and call you a troll.

Comment

Thank you for saying that, I was just about to read your words with a closed mind and call you a troll.
                              We are very different types of people, but I've seen how you've helped people and the intricate details in the efforts in your work.

I would like to say that I am sorry for any grief that it appears I have given you; I meant them all in good faith.

(i.e. the one post where you said this site was holding you back, well if that is true screw this site and go conquer the world. I was trying to give you a jolt of anger if you were in a rut where you got so upset you went with your gut instinct and went out and kicked some ass.)

Sometimes things are lost in communication. I expect the best from myself and I try to promote others to expect the best from themselves. But we aren't all the same and communication gaps can enter the mix where I misjudge the perception of what I am trying to say. Shorter version: I'm sorry.

Comment

we love you baker, no homo tho bro haha

Comment

Working...
                                X