Saddam sentenced to hang; sees death as 'sacrifice'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddam sentenced to hang; sees death as 'sacrifice'

Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has said he is ready to die as a "sacrifice" for Iraq, urging his countrymen to unite against enemies.

In a letter written from his prison cell, Saddam Hussein said his death would make him a "true martyr".

The former leader could be hanged on any day over the next four weeks, after an appeal against his execution failed.

The sentence is for killings in the town of Dujail in the 1980s. A trial for a second case continues.

"I sacrifice myself. If God wills it, he will place me among the true men and martyrs," the former leader wrote in the letter.

~//Saddam Hussein is on trial separately in connection with a military campaign against Kurdish communities in the 1980s.

However, under Iraqi law, he must be executed regardless of the second trial.

~//But the time and location of the hanging has not been made public.

~//Appeals Court judge Arif Shaheen told reporters in Baghdad the execution date could not "exceed 30 days".

"As from [Wednesday] the sentence could be carried out at any time," he said, adding that there could be no further appeal and the sentence could not be commuted.

-BBC

One upon a time, I think many countries operated the way the Saddam did. In fact, in most countries in Africa, Uganda for example, they still do. Then you have China in the 1980's, North Korea and Iran today and they seem to be assassinating opposition in Russia today.

But I don't think many people will be sad to see him gone.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Bah..I can think of so many other ways to make that boy suffer.
      www.Net-Tyme.com
      Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
      Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Net-Tyme View Post
        Bah..I can think of so many other ways to make that boy suffer.
        Ever see the TV show Dexter or the movie Hostel? I'm sure some of the things done in there could be issued to Saddam.

Comment

Ha. Hostel I've seen. He should "not" be killed though.
          www.Net-Tyme.com
          Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
          Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Kill the US government please.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Spirit wrote:

Kill the US government please.
              True. First of all, they weren't even suposed to be in Iraq.

Comment

Working...
              X