How do I run old games at Windows XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I run old games at Windows XP?

I was searching for some of my old CDs and I found a really old one that I usually plaid in Windows 98. Now, when I run the game at Windows XP, the game speed is too damn fast!

Is there a way to change that? I'm sure it has something to do with DOS stuff. Thanks in advance.

DOSBox owns for these games (you can even record with it)
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Comment

there used to be a program called moslo maybe google that?

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

DOSBox is what you need; moslo will slow games down if they run too fast but doesn't make them work under Windows XP.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Isn't Dosbox waaaay to slow for games > 386? I always thought that. Would be awesome if it wasn't though!
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

I tried DosBox before, my game name is Rising Lands. This is what I typed:

Code:
            Z:\>mount C C:\rising

Z:\>C:

C:\>cd risingg

C:\>RISINGG>rising.exe
            This is a Windows 95 executable.
            That's all. So, means that I need Windows 95 or it has an easy fix?
            Last edited by joao93; 01-15-2007, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joao93 View Post
              So, means that I need Windows 95 or it has an easy fix?
              You can't fix that, I'd say you need Windows 95/98.

Also don't use moslo, I tried it once and it seriously f*ked up.

And it's not possible to install Win95 after WinXP, so you're pretty much at a screwed, you can reformat and install Win95 first and then WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by joao93 View Post
                I tried DosBox before, my game name is Rising Lands. This is what I typed:

Code:
                C:\>RISINGG>rising.exe
                This is a Windows 95 executable.
                That's all. So, means that I need Windows 95 or it has an easy fix?
                Don't you right click the shortcut and go to properties and click Windows 95 compatibility and then run it?

/Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd at least try that first; it may or may not work
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The DosBox shortcut or the game shortcut?

Comment

game shortcut

Comment

Nah, didn't work.

Comment

Yeah you right click the shortcut>goto properties>click compatability tab at the top>put a check in 'run this program in compatability mode for:'>from the drop down menu choose Windows 9x.

Comment

Yes, I know, I tried that gregory, didn't work.

Comment

Anyone please? I need help!

Comment

Joao, some games just aren't compatible with winXP. I have a copy of Battle Chess which only works with versions up to win98 as far as I know. Perhaps you should look for a forum under the game you want to play and ask your questions there (or look for someone who's been asking the same questions).

well actually my Battle Chess copy COULD be compatible BUT I'd have to change my dos settings which turns me off
                              Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 01-16-2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X