Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs

I hadn't heard of these until today, but I wanted one a long time ago.

Long ago (10 years ago? 15?), I heard of lightbulbs that would last 10 years and used 25% of the energy required by the normal incandescent lightbulbs found everywhere ... but they never showed up in stores.

I guess there were technical obstacles (not bright enough, didn't turn on quickly, weren't "compatible" with existing light bulb sockets ) that kept them from the market.

But I guess they finally solved all of that and I guess Walmart carries them now. They cost about $3 each, but last 10 years and only generate $10 of electric usage where a "normal" incandescent lightbulb would generate a $40 electric bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

a small dutch company called philips has been making em for years and they have been available here in holland for the same amount of years too (like 15 or so)

Comment

I heard that those lights aren't supposed to be turned on and off a lot because it quickly burns them out. So lights like that aren't supposed to be used in a bathroom or hallway where the light may get turned on and off constantly rather than in a lamp that will get turned on and off once a day. Any truth to that? Sorry I do not feel like looking it up.

Comment

Not sure, but my parents have already invested in them and they're now in just about every single socket in our house (aside from the chandoliers in the kitchen and living room). And from what I can tell they work just as good at the regular ones.

(One thing you get used to is that they don't immediately come on as soon as you flip the switch, it takes 1-2 seconds for the electricity to go through them so they hesitate before coming on, but as I said, you get used to them doing that.)

Comment

Things are made to wear down so you the consumer will buy more. Thomas Edison's origional lightbulb still works.
          e|------------------------0---------------
          B|---------------0^1----------------1----
          G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
          D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
          A|---------------0------------------------
          E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Not as bright but you can get used to em. Go ahead by lightbulbs and feel like you saving the earth trendy bizzitch's.

Comment

Don't use these to read by, your vision will pay because you'll strain more and more as the light gets slightly dimmer and dimmer over the years. You won't even notice them getting dim unless you change the bulb. That happened once at my parent's, one bulb failed after a lightning storm, dad changed it and suddenly there was just one really bright bulb with many slightly dimmer ones. He ended up changing them all because it was annoying.
              "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

ha, try using one of those for a porch light. talk about gay :/
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The real future!
                  http://www.theledlight.com/120-VAC-LEDbulbs.html

Comment

Originally posted by JackHole View Post
                    Hehe, but those are $19.95 for each light bulb. They need to get the mfr costs down on that, Jackhole
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I got one each on the front and back porches. Helped a lot the night before last when our pipes burst from the cold. They start out dim and get brighter over a period of a few minutes.
                      Chuck

Comment

Working...
                      X